Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^"So yeah, leave it off, unless you need full acceleration in a straight line"
You mean on, right?

Old 04-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy77
^"So yeah, leave it off, unless you need full acceleration in a straight line"
You mean on, right?
Right Andy, I meant on. I went back and fixed it (edited the post).

Thanks.

Last edited by dbarnes; 04-29-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbarnes
Beg to differ on the "99% of the car's straight line acceleration" figure, at least on stock tires. I, like Nick6, always encounter the "bog" in 2nd gear when I shift WOT from 1st to 2nd - it's like getting hit in the chest with a sack of potatoes, the throttle just shuts down for about 1+ full second, then it comes back like gangbusters, but too late for whatever reason you were on it in the first place. It can be ****** dangerous (and scary) when you encounter a situation where you need full acceleration capability, and the computer "decides" you don't need any throttle after all, despite the fact that your Loud Pedal is fully depressed !

Overall, there is no doubt that VDC is a good thing and keeps most of us out of trouble (maybe saving our cars from ourselves, in some cases), but the straight line acceleration thing I don't understand. With VDC off, I get anything from a slight chirp and fishtail squirm when I hit 2nd at WOT, all the way to a back end "jump" sideways of a few inches (just like the old muscle cars) and with VDC on, I've gotta short shift it (at 5,000-5,500 RPM) to keep the VDC "nanny" from taking over.

Last night, after reading this post, I drove around a little with VDC off, and this car is definitely very easy to get the back end to step out and rotate on you, but just as easy to cross up full throttle and get straight again (if you're in the correct gear) - it's all very dramatic, I must say, and will probably result in disaster sooner or later, for a novice like me.

So yeah, leave it on, unless you need full acceleration in a straight line, then, ........
Dbarnes:

Valid points there. I too have hit the 2nd gear bog at times, and even in 3rd, and I agree that in some circumstances that can be dangerous too (e.g. when attempting to merge). At first my post said 99.9% but I changed it to 99% for just that reason. The way I have learnt to deal with this is to just be smooth on the 1-2 upshift. VDC will allow a little chirp of the tires without cutting power back, and I think that's about all I need for max acceleration for all practical purposes. I can still shift at 6500 rpm, I'm just careful about how I squeeze in the gas as I engage the clutch in 2nd.

I would have to agree that if you're drag racing (ON THE TRACK) or trying to do an instrumented 0-60 run for Car & Driver or something (neither of which I do), then yeah, VDC off. I would probably also turn it off for a lapping session at Barber Motorsports Park. But for the street, I leave it on. This car is plenty fast without going into controlled wheelspin territory. In fact, there have been a couple times where this car has taught me I'm not as good a driver as I thought I was. So, my VDC stays on.

Cheers yalll

--Dudefish

Old 05-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
QUOTE: "In fact, there have been a couple times where this car has taught me I'm not as good a driver as I thought I was. So, my VDC stays on.

Cheers yalll

--Dudefish" QUOTE

Dudefish:

I second you on the "not as good a driver as I thought I was" comment. Every now and then, when pushed too hard, a car like this will break loose and then it says "OK - showed you what I can do - now, let's see how good a driver you are, Mario".

The last time this happened to me in a serious way, I've come to fondly recall as "The day I lost my Porsche (and bought a stranger a new fence)".

So yeah, leave the VDC on, guys

Old 05-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Go to an empty parking lot, turn VDC off, turn the wheel compeletely to one side, rev up to 3k rpm let go and you do donuts... turn VDC OFF and that is impossible.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's are times and places to turn VDC off, and have a little fun. But I'll admit it's saved me enough times in the short time I've had the car that I appreciate it more now than in the beginning. When I bought the car, I thought it took the fun out of driving. But after bailing me out of trouble a couple of times, I decided to be careful about turning it off.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Leave it on unless you have a specific need to turn it off.

Commuting to work, going to the store, just cruisin', especially in bad weather.. on.

Doing a little spirited driving on an empty road, or out at the track or autocross course... turn that thing off.

You should have a little experience in skid recovery, though. It won't do it for you when VDC is off, and the tail does like to swing out from time to time.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ryoken
Leave it on unless you have a specific need to turn it off.

Commuting to work, going to the store, just cruisin', especially in bad weather.. on.

Doing a little spirited driving on an empty road, or out at the track or autocross course... turn that thing off.

You should have a little experience in skid recovery, though. It won't do it for you when VDC is off, and the tail does like to swing out from time to time.
Agreed. I find this car to be fairly tail happy and is quite easy to step the rear end out with throttle induced oversteer even with an open differtential. The good thing is this car is very controllable with the tail hung out because of the great suspension geometry and linear power. Years ago I use to own a 94 Z28 and also drove my roommates 5.0 Stangs daily. I sorely missed RWD and the G35 is a great step up. It doesn't have quite the white knuckle experience the live axle V8s had. The Stangs could be flat out dangerous because the back end has a mind of it's own. The Z28 had a much better suspension design, but still that solid axle could step out badly if you we're paying attention in a bumpy corner.

IMO, anyone who owns one of these cars should have a little experience in how to control oversteer because it you hang the tail out and get freaked and slam the brakes, you'll fully rotate.