G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Bought a G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a G

Hey

After MUCH deliberation and hair pulling I just traded in my 04 Volvo S60R for a 05 6MT Black/Graphite sedan, Premium and aero package.

The Volvo was a nice car that has a few design problems that Volvo could not remedy. We got tired of visiting the dealer on a regular basis and knowing the people in corpoate reps on a first name basis. She was a blast to drive though.

We looked a bunch of cars including the BMW 330, Mazda 6, Audi S4, Subaru 2.5 GT, and of course the M45 sport. The G35 won overall based on price, performance, and quality. The only thing we comprimised on was not getting AWD. Our last two cars were AWD(02 Audi S4, and the S60r) and we really gotten used to it. We wanted a manual tranmission, so that eliminated the G35X and a bunch of others. I live in Southern Maryland so we feel that a good set of winter tires will get us through the sporatic snows we get here.

I own a '95 Maxima with 250,000 miles on her that has been a excellent car so we really are looking foward to a long and trouble free relationship with our G.

Of course I am looking mod her a bit(intake, exhaust) but will wait until the break-in period is over. I am having a HARD time keeping her under 4000.

This forum has been reallg good and the folks here seem to really want to help with the minimum of sarcastic remarks and flame wars, which is refreshing(you ever visited the AudiWorld forum? Wear your Nomex!).

Ray

Old 04-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Welcome to the site, I too am a past Max owner, and I know you will be really happy with your purchase.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:00 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by n1lul
This forum has been reallg good and the folks here seem to really want to help with the minimum of sarcastic remarks and flame wars, which is refreshing(you ever visited the AudiWorld forum? Wear your Nomex!).

Ray
Ray,

Welcome to the G35 family. I apologize if there are not enough sarcastic remarks on this forum, but I asure you, I am trying to remedy that.

Old 04-30-2005, 02:34 PM
gtr proto test driver
lol keep it up cru your doing us all a service

*congrats welcome

Old 04-30-2005, 02:41 PM
can you elaborate on your S60R problems??

Old 04-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Welcome here and thanks for a good opening post. Congrats on the new ride. As a guy that just completed his break-in, I hear ya.

When I go on a tirade, just ignore me. I can't help myself. The military has me brainwashed.

I prefer this to nomex:

Old 04-30-2005, 05:30 PM
The Audi S4 (2004/05) is a sweet car. But you're right, peformance and price considered, the G35 is the way to go.

I'd have an S4 tho if I had $50K burning a hole in my wallet

Old 04-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by n1lul
Hey

After MUCH deliberation and hair pulling I just traded in my 04 Volvo S60R for a 05 6MT Black/Graphite sedan, Premium and aero package.

The Volvo was a nice car that has a few design problems that Volvo could not remedy. We got tired of visiting the dealer on a regular basis and knowing the people in corpoate reps on a first name basis. She was a blast to drive though.

We looked a bunch of cars including the BMW 330, Mazda 6, Audi S4, Subaru 2.5 GT, and of course the M45 sport. The G35 won overall based on price, performance, and quality. The only thing we comprimised on was not getting AWD. Our last two cars were AWD(02 Audi S4, and the S60r) and we really gotten used to it. We wanted a manual tranmission, so that eliminated the G35X and a bunch of others. I live in Southern Maryland so we feel that a good set of winter tires will get us through the sporatic snows we get here.

I own a '95 Maxima with 250,000 miles on her that has been a excellent car so we really are looking foward to a long and trouble free relationship with our G.

Of course I am looking mod her a bit(intake, exhaust) but will wait until the break-in period is over. I am having a HARD time keeping her under 4000.

Ray

I had spent a lot of time on Swedespeed when I was considering an S60R and after reading the major problems these guys were having I wrote the car off. Plus who wants a 5 cyl. engine that loses lots of HP in hot weather. Good move getting the G. I just picked up my 6 spd this past Thursday and I set the rev thingamajig to 3500 instead of 4000 to give me a little earlier heads up. Keeping her under 4k takes concentration.

Old 05-01-2005, 01:03 AM
My S60R Problems

Thanks for the support on my G buy.

Here are some of the problems I had.

Front tires rubbed bad at near full lock- We have to do a lot of U-turns around here. The tires would rub bad every time we did a U-turn and it got so bad they were rubbing just making normal turns. They tried MANY(like 10) time to fix the problem with limited success. The turning radius on the R sucks(Dodge ram 1500 is tighter) and their fixes usally made it worse.

The famous R 3500 rpm stumble- it was a software glitch that Volvo can not really fix correctly.

Drive line "Clunk". The axle spline would loosen up in the hubs causing a clunk whenever going between power on and power off. The fix was to inject a thick type of locktite. Temporary fix, problem returned 3 times in 2 years.

Suspension clunk. This was a software(the R has a cool 3 position suspension) problem. It was fixed with a upgrade.

The biggest complaint is that our dealer could not fix anything the first time. Like I said, when she was running right she was a blast to drive. There again I used to say the same thing about my '71 MG.

The low tire pressure light came on a couple of times today on our G35. We were by the dealer and they said the tire pressures were fine. I am thinking loose sensor. Any one else have this problem?

Ray

Old 05-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Exclamation

I totally agree with your decision to go with the G. Prior to buying our G in Oct '03 we had a '96 Maxima which got a little "long in tooth" after about 110,000 miles of excellent service. We now have over 50K on the '03 G and have never been happier with a vehicle. In fact, I took a long (420+ mile) road trip yesterday and did not see one other car on the trip that I'd rather own.