G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Plannin on a g35x. car now is a subaru impreza

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Plannin on a g35x. car now is a subaru impreza

well here i am, i converted to luxury from my 98 impreza that was swapped out and raced everyday afterschool. well before i go into what my question is, ill say im a complete subaru nut. its hard to swallow me switchin to a G35, but the damn lux feel and such is so damn nice.

So heres the basic questions i have, ive been looking into the G35x for about a month now, and i feel im not quite getting enough info. so one of my questions is how are the sensors and the transmissions and such. any major problems, would i be running in an out of a dealership or certified mech. because of sensors? are they reliable? yes im buying new. any horror stories? hows the awd system in the g35x anyone hit any snowy roads or back roads with it?

also im planning on keeping it stock, maybe intake and tints, maybe something else way later down the road. bout it. and how big of a difference from kybagx gas struts? if anyone knows. id like to know how much of a difference the drive and feel of it is, before i goto a test drive considering closest dealer is 2 hrs away .

for any other information i should know about put it up, thanks again. oh yeh just in case im paying for it, i made the 35G i have ready to spend by myself i wish the rents would help me, but what can ya do.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:22 PM
I have an LL Bean 2002 and the G35x (see signature).

To me the x is a vastly superior car. It feels roomier for me and the passengers (although the wagon of course holds more). The interior of the x is nicer, even though the Bean is a "luxury" model.

The x handles much better in general (RWD until slip is detected). The engine is more powerful, by far. The handling in the snow overall may be slightly better with the full-time AWD of the Subaru, coupled with its lesser power. But I can get the Subaru to fishtail in the snow, but the G35x won't (if the VDC is in the normal on position). My Subaru was not offered with VDC.

Reliability-the Subaru has been reliable. The paint is very soft and does not have the same good looks as the Infiniti. I expect the G to be as reliable as my 2 previous Infinitis, a G20 and an I30, which is to say extremely reliable.

I find the dealer service at Infiniti much better than Subaru. The Infiniti loaners are Infinitis. At Subaru, it was a complicated rental (paid by them) procedure, although I hear that is changing.

The buying experience is much better at Infiniti. They have never tried to sell me something I didn't want. At the Subaru dealer they wanted me to take a car with an rear window roof spoiler that I absolutely did not want. They couldn't believe I didn't want it until I told them that if they gave it to me, I still would not buy the car. They were trying to unload a car they had on the lot. The Subaru was not much cheaper than the Infiniti.

So, I'd take the Infiniti any day.

Good luck.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:33 PM
thanks for the info, but another question is, is the ceiling high enough? im 6'1" so im wondering do i have to ride like a "gangster" in it,as in seat reclined way back. or would i be comfortable in it? and is the g35 galvonized, by any chance??? but with the G35x awd so when does the awd stop and the rwd kick in? is there a certain speed?

and wow for the dealership u went to. the subaru dealership i went to, went out of their way to make me happy. they even helped with finding certain aftermarket parts and oem parts i needed before i even bought it.(i asked) and usually i have more trouble with going to the more lux or expensive dealerships because they think i wont buy, i guess theyre atitude was right on the money i ran laughing with my cash.

Thanks again for the input

Old 04-29-2005, 06:26 AM
I'm 6'1" too - and have to ride with seat all the way back.

One thing I noticed on my last test drive actually - is that the power window / lock controls are very poorly placed for someone who does have to drive that far back. You sort of have to reach for them as opposed to them being quite conveniently close.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you will like the X alot. There isn't anything I can think of to complain about. The AWD system is flawless in rain and snow. The switchover is inperceptable. In the dry, it is 100% RWD until it encounters slip, then it will do what it needs to (up to 50% split) to get traction. If you want to have fun on the twisties, just turn off VDC and go for it. Turning off VDC will not turn off AWD, just the traction control system. It's a blast to swing the back end out and feel the front catch and pull you through a corner. It's takes a little getting used to, but once you know how the car reacts, it'll put a grin on your face. Good luck and welcome to a great site!

Old 04-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DingoNY
I'm 6'1" too - and have to ride with seat all the way back.

One thing I noticed on my last test drive actually - is that the power window / lock controls are very poorly placed for someone who does have to drive that far back. You sort of have to reach for them as opposed to them being quite conveniently close.

I was noticing yesterday how inconvenient it was as well. I have to move my leg and reach foward. It is so much nicer when they are in plain view and easy reach.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:45 PM
yeh i dont like how theyre placed in the fx35 neither, my cuzin has one and its sort off odd, nothin real big i guess, but how much are tires for this car? i tend to like to drift alot on backroads and such, im used to awd drift but i can adjust, but are tires expensive im just wondering....thx, also anyone get that twin turbo kit ive seen around for the G?

oh yeh and i have to have it back huh? would i hit my head though or would i get damn close to the ceiling?

Old 04-29-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm about 5' 8" (on a good day), so I don't have problems with the seat adjustment. I find the G35 seat far more comfortable than our Bean Subaru.

Where the seat gets placed depends partly on whether your height comes from your legs or torso or both (not a problem for me, as I noted!). The seat has multiple adjustments including height that might help it fit you. Try it at a dealer and get help with it, because if you buy and don't like the position, you'll be really unhappy.

There is a thread somewhere on getting extra height adjustment out of the seat by a 5 minute adjustment underneath.

Last edited by Andy77; 04-29-2005 at 10:17 PM. Reason: omitted word
Old 04-29-2005, 10:07 PM
actually even the Japanese complained about G35's seat and button design.....
well

btw, did you check out the Legacy too? it's a pretty cool car too!

Old 04-29-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm going to have to check that out one more time before I buy tomorrow.

It seems to me I really had to reach way to far for the buttons. Makes no sense to me. I have been in tons of cars, and never had the designers "hide" the controls like that

Oh wait - I just remembered... I'm not buying the car based on logic / functionality... All the little things in the world won't make a difference if I love the coolness of how the car looks.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:48 PM
So what color did you decide on, DingoNY?

I don't have trouble with the buttons for doors or window. For whatever reason, despite my butt being bigger than my waist (even when I had a 32 waist), I don't have an issue with the seat adjustment buttons either. It took a day or two to find the most comfortable position, but the multiple adjustments made it possible.

Good luck with the purchase.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:10 AM
i actually like the legacy alot, but its just not hitting a nerve like the sti or the G35 did, but hey that 5 min plan for adjusting the seat is pretty cool, also how long have u guys/gals have had your g35s? wondering cuz ima keep this sucker for a long time, and i mean long.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm going with Black with Stone. Should do the deal today.

However I think before signing (leasing) I will visit the Audi dealer as I see from the A4 forums that I could get a 2.0T for essentially the same price now. (Leasing has gotten a little more competitive)

Originally I went with G35x because if you compare apples to apples - I can get the G for about $6k less than the cost of the A4 3.2. But I've opened up a little to the idea of the 2.0T, although I'd still have to drive it.

I'm not very likely to switch to Audi. The styling of the G has grown on me a lot. I don't much care for the back end - but the rest of the car is just beautiful. And black totally looks hot.

DG / Stone is my second choice.

There are a lot of negatives to black that push me towards DG. But as I said - black looks hot. (When clean)

Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just saw one of those audi 2.0t and I was very dissapointed, I think they are ugly now. No offense, just I couldn't believe they did such a bad redesign of the car.

I would go with DG if you live in NY, winter time your car will look like crap constantly.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Nickk6
I just saw one of those audi 2.0t and I was very dissapointed, I think they are ugly now. No offense, just I couldn't believe they did such a bad redesign of the car.

I would go with DG if you live in NY, winter time your car will look like crap constantly.
I didn't check out the Audi's today - because they don't have MP3 support without buying navigation.

And it's too late for the advice

I did it - Black with Stone, Premium C.

Local car washes (touchless) will be doing well in coming months and years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plannin on a g35x. car now is a subaru impreza