G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Ticking/Knocking noise coming from my G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking/Knocking noise coming from my G35

I just broke about 2800 miles on my G and just recently I started hearing a ticking noise (other then the fan) coming from the drivers side of the car. Funny thing is, it doesn't happen all the time but when it does happen I can hear it clear as day (with AC On or Off). I've looked under the hood to determine if its coming from a belt with no luck.

Has anyone else had this problem or is this normal and I'm just hearing things?

Old 05-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Re: Ticking/Knocking noise coming from my G35

I don't think that relates to the problem I have because it occurs when I'm sitting idle and not when I press the gas peddle. When I press the gas peddle to accelerate the ticking noise speeds up then goes away. When I come to a stop or put the car in park it just keeps ticking but again, the funny thing is, it doesn't occur all the time.

P.S. Where can I find in my manual where it tells me to resolve the incident. I looked and am unable to find it. Is it under a particular section and/or page?

Thanks

Old 05-31-2003, 08:56 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it happen more when cold versus hot? If so there could be an exhaust manifold leak and when the manifold heats up and expands the seal gets better. If it increases in rhythm as you accelerate, I would tend to believe that this is the case. Keep us posted.

Old 05-31-2003, 09:44 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Bro, We have solid lifters in our G's. This means they can go out of adjustment periodically. It's not likely that they have gone out so quickly, but a possibility. This issue is evidensed by a tinny tick, tick which will also increase in frequency with increased rpm's. If it were the lifters, it could be aggravated by low or old oil in the crankcase.
If the oil is fresh and ok, let the service adviser have a listen. There are other sources of this kind of problem such as exhaust leaks, surpentine belt, sensors etc. G/L[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 05-31-2003, 12:41 PM

I have a 2003.5 6 speed sedan and I'm experiencing the same sound. It only happens periodically. I notice it more at idile of course because things are just more quite. I use Valvoline Synpro and change the oil every 5000 miles. I have been into the service department recently for problems with pulling to the right. They finally fixed that. Now just last night I noticed that the Brake light is coming on faintly. If I wiggle the parking brake handle it turns off, but then it slowly starts to illuminate again. I will have the brake thing fixed and at the same time have them look atthe ticking, clicking. I will report after the service.

Old 05-31-2003, 12:49 PM
O.F. Administrator

The parking brake light issue sounds like a simple switch problem.
The ticking is hard to diagnose from here but let the service peeps listen and see what they say. Another source of ticking is the Power Steering reservoir.
If it's just a periodic problem, then it's prolly not much. I think all solid lifters make a noise once in a while. L8r...[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2003, 01:23 AM

It happens more when it is hot then cold. If it happens more when the car is hot could this still be the issue? Exhaust Manifold leak?

thanks

Old 06-01-2003, 11:01 AM

After parking my G into the garage, and shutting it down, I would hear a ticking noise. I suspect it's just the catalytic converters just being hot, trying to cool itself down....Is this the kind of ticking you're hearing, if it is, its nathin.......OR check your oil levels since you're coming close to 3k....

Old 06-01-2003, 02:12 PM

This reply is for both gsedanman and G35Sedan4Baby:

I plan to take my car in for an oil change in the next week or so. As you state gsedanman it could be from just dirty oil... I hope. I have around 2900 miles, however, I've had my car since January with no oil change as of yet so its past the 3 month mark.

Obviously when I take my car in I will certainly post what they say or what the problem turns out to be.

G35Sedan4Baby: The noise occurs when the car is running and hot, when I turn the car off it makes the typical noises all cars make once they're off and were hot.

Old 06-02-2003, 02:49 PM

Solid lifters??? I thought the VQ35DE had hydraulic lifters like most other modern engines.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 06-02-2003, 03:19 PM
O.F. Administrator

I've just got off the phone to my tech at the dealership and you're right Dan, our lifters are hydraulic altho adjustable with shims.
My bad. I don't know where I read about these lifters and the periodic adjustment. Can't find it in the maintenace schedule, or warranty book.
Guess I'll have to blame it on one of those 'senior moments'
Having learned that they are hydraulic, I'm relieved. Solid lifters are a pain, not to mention noisy.....L8r.. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2003, 05:57 PM

Thank you for the info. Hydraulic lifters with adjustable shims is an unusual design in my experience. Maybe Nissan uses the same lifter in different engines and uses shims to adapt to different dimensions. Unusual, but it appears to work.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 06-08-2003, 07:54 AM
Montgomery's Finest

Try to take it to the dealer.... That could be a problem???? Take nothing lightly with this car...