G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Dealer pricing? how much off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Dealer pricing? how much off?

Back in 2003, I was oh so close to purchasing a G35, but I ended up coming across a irresistable deal on a perfect used Mercedes E320. Now, the mercedes is ready for retirement. Again, I am back looking at the G35s . I love how Infiniti fixed the interiors. That was my biggest gripe back in 2003.

At any rate, I am looking at a 6MT w/ premium and aero. The sticker price should be about $35,000. How much wiggle room is there in Infiniti's pricing?
I checked out Edmunds.com. On there, it says the invoice pricing for this car is about $32,500, and that most people are paying around $33,300 for an similarly equippped G Sedan. Is there really that much room for negotiating?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Andrew

Old 06-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
I too shopped these cars hard back in 03. Waved off for a different reason but came back and bought about three months ago. Love the 05s.

Sticker on my car was a shade over $35K with Premium C. I paid around $33K which is more than what most people here have paid. The reason I paid more for the car is because I did better on the trade at this particular dealership. You know how the fuzzy math goes - one number goes up, the other number goes down and it all becomes a wash in the middle. In this particluar case the best 'wash in the middle' was attached to a higher purchase price. In the end I paid about invoice for the car.

The new model year is coming and that should drive prices on the 05s down a bit. Unfortunately that is still some time down the road. Geography plays a large part with this car too - more than I've seen with other marques.

I recommend you go online, find dealers with inventory that matches what you want - several dealers in a range of locations - and start the bidding war. Do the numbers, make an offer and go from there. I did this and used the different responses as negotiation tools with other dealers - it worked well. I bet you can find a car at the price you want to pay...

Some dealers will go right to the bottom line, others want to play the sleeze "lemme talk to my manager" BS. This is discussed here all the time. There are some guys here that have gotten some fantastic deals on the sedans - granted 6MTs are harder to whittle down because they are harder to find in stock.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find. Where are you located?

Old 06-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quadcam,
I'm looking for the same configuration as you are
My color combination choice is Lakeshore/Stone. What is yours?
Any chance you are in Houston or DFW? Maybe we can get a groupbuy discount

Old 06-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Some dealers will go right to the bottom line, others want to play the sleeze "lemme talk to my manager" BS. This is discussed here all the time. There are some guys here that have gotten some fantastic deals on the sedans - granted 6MTs are harder to whittle down because they are harder to find in stock.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find. Where are you located?

It really depends on where you're located, like someone said earlier. Areas with lots of Infiniti dealerships (more competition) will likely give you a better deal. Also, demand plays quite a bit too....especially in the case of 6MT....they really are hard to get, unless you're not too picky about color & equipment. Good Luck though! It'll be worth the trouble & wait....I LOVE MINE, and I already drive them everyday! ^-^

PS - the "sleeze 'let me talk to my mgr' " thing...ISN'T B/S. Most of the people in dealerships' internet dept or answering calls are not managers, and they don't have authority to quote prices. Just so you all know...so next time you walk into (or call or email) a dealership, don't get mad at the salesman...he's just the messenger. Ok? ^-^

And think about it this way... all the back & forth thing...if customers weren't trying to offer "invoice" (or in many cases - BELOW invoice)...dealerships would let you drive off in much less time. Nobody ever considers that perhaps if you actually made a "reasonable" offer...that you'd actually get the deal.

Who the heck is IN BUSINESS to sell something at what they paid? The dealerships have to make money, y'know? Just like any other business. I'd like to see someone walk into McDonalds & ask for their invoice on beef or bread, etc...then offer them a penny over. What do you think they'll do? They'd say "get the f**K outta here!"

LOL....ok, that was an extreme example, but you get what I'm saying, right?

Old 06-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gthree5 6MT

Who the heck is IN BUSINESS to sell something at what they paid? The dealerships have to make money, y'know? Just like any other business. I'd like to see someone walk into McDonalds & ask for their invoice on beef or bread, etc...then offer them a penny over. What do you think they'll do? They'd say "get the f**K outta here!"
Are you suggesting that Invoice price is what the dealer paid for the car?

A difference between McDonald and a car dealership is that McDonalds posts its prices and you pay that price or eat elsewhere. With a car dealership they'll sell for MSRP on Monday to one buyere and sell the identical car the next day for Invoice + $500.

Last edited by SaltiDawg; 06-02-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Invoice Is Usually About A Thousand Over What Dealer Pays Anyways. Dealer Holdbacks,ever Heard Of It? Invoice Being Price They Pay Is A Common Misconception!

Old 06-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Jimmy,

Not to highjack this thread, but I can't agree with a lot of what you said. Sure, the dealer needs to make money on the deal. However, many of us have purchased or leased enough new cars to know that there are a million places for the dealer to "get you". Especially on lease! They'll jack the acquisition or "dealer prep" fees, they'll get you by a couple points on the money factor, etc, etc. It forces many consumers, like myself, to start negotiations at or under invoice as that is the one aspect of the negotiation that is black and white and that we know we can control. Then, we try not to get burned on the other items which the dealer controls.

It is the dealer, in my opinion, that has forced the American consumer into an ugly corner on vehicle purchases. With the availability of more online information and information sharing, the consumer is finally getting a fighting chance. (Speaking of which, why the heck did Infiniti.com take the "locate" function off of the G35 sedan!?! Maybe they don't want the consumer to know how much surplus they have?)

Like I said, I'm all for free enterprise, but the deck is definately stacked against the consumer in most cases.

Just my two cents.... -scd

Old 06-02-2005, 07:58 PM
News flash - No dealer that is in business is losing money. Many buyers have paid thousands of dollars more than others for the same car at the same lot on the same day.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. G
News flash - No dealer that is in business is losing money. Many buyers have paid thousands of dollars more than others for the same car at the same lot on the same day.
Exactly!

Old 06-02-2005, 09:43 PM
I am located in vero Beach, FL. The closest dealers are in Melbourne, FL or Palm Beach, FL. The Melbourne dealer is close enough that they'll pick up the car for warranty or major service. Both dealers provide loaner cars. One dealer is about 50 minutes away, the other is about an hour and 15 minutes away.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by QuadCam
I am located in vero Beach, FL. The closest dealers are in Melbourne, FL or Palm Beach, FL. The Melbourne dealer is close enough that they'll pick up the car for warranty or major service. Both dealers provide loaner cars. One dealer is about 50 minutes away, the other is about an hour and 15 minutes away.
33,100 would be a pretty good deal around here.That is 33,100 TOTAL before taxes, tag and title. That includes destination fee, dealer cost of doing business fee, sending his daughter to college fee, reaming you fee, etc. Email the internet manager at Melbourne named Nish Baker and ask him for the car you want and tell him what you are willing to pay. He is very quick to respond, will give you a firm offer by email, and will get the car for you if he doesn't have it. I would have bought mine from him, but I happened to find it closer to home. You may have to pay a few hundred more if he has to get it from another dealer.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:57 PM
I got my G35 Sedan for 400 below invoice, and it seems that most people on Edmunds.com were getting deals for several hundred below invoice as well.

I'd recommend dealing with dealerships' internet sales people first. Some of them are very upfront about giving you prices in writing and you don't have to even go into the dealership. If nothing else, you get some quotes in writing to take somewhere else... but I did my whole deal painlessly via email.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:10 PM
Premier Member

Hmmm, interesting. I sell cars for a living. Keep up the good work chaps.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:13 AM
That's great info. Thank you.

I also have a trade-in to deal with. Such a hassle. These either hammer you on the trade and give ou a good deal on the car, or Vice Versa. Playing with numbers.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:21 AM
OK....since we're gonna down the nitty gritty on this car-buying subject...and since you are all so well-informed...

Let me just ask: How much SHOULD a dealership make on a car? Invoice minus holdbacks, etc....all "costs" considered...WHAT is a "good, fair deal" ? $100? $500? $1000?

Also, what about the trade-in? Should dealers pay whatever "the book" says? Edmunds & Kelly give different values...so which one should we all go by?

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but please answer those questions. THEN, please tell us what service or product(s) you sell...and tell us why you charge what you charge.

Let me just throw out an example...does anyone do plumbing here? Lets say you charge what...$100 for unclogging a toilet or tub. Now, why would I pay YOU $100 if the next guy will do it for $90? And then if I called the 3rd guy, he'll give me the job for only $80? And on & on....where do we draw the line? How about if we all just go back to the barter system where you unclog my toilet & I give you a car? See where this is going?

See, right now, since we're talking about car-buying...and most of us here are the BUYERS vs. (me) the DEALER..........Lets share some cost-profit on another service or product we all buy, anyone up for it?

And once again, let us keep in mind the fact that IF...IF you called one dealership (dealer B) & told them that another one (dealer A) is giving you a certain price...as long as its a truly reasonable price, dealer B will likely beat it. So...where would the line be drawn? Would the best deal be whereever gave you the "real" cost (invoice minus all holdbacks, etc.)?

Please inform me....^-^

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer pricing? how much off?