G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Interesting article regarding salesman's tricks at dealerships.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting article regarding salesman's tricks at dealerships.

I read this article from edmunds.com and it's quite interesting.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

Basically to make a long story short. Edmunds.com hired a spy to work as a undercover salesman in a couple dealerships. Then the undercover salesman would learn their tricks of the trade and reveal the salesman's approach.

Example:
What does the car salesman do when he leaves you sitting in a sales office and goes to talk with his boss?

What are the tricks salespeople use to increase their profit and how can consumers protect themselves from overpaying?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep in mind this article is quiteeeeeeeeeee long and takes a while to read through. Read it if you are interested.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:58 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I laughed...I cried ...I felt overcome with emotion. What a load of ****...lol. What Kia dealership was this made for T.V. scenario supposed to have happened at?. Funny stuff

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 06-03-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:59 AM
I read it a year or so ago and thought it was really interesting, too. Gives some insight into the buying process and is an entertaining read even if you're not planning a car purchase soon.

One thing I found especially interesting was the impact that easily available information and "internet sales" have done to the car selling business.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:31 AM
You think its a load of crap but when you get good at it you can sell 2 3 4 cars a day just buy reading the customer. I was good at it but i didnt like the long hours. I sold 12 cars in 18 days my first time out. Now I just use my skills to buy cars for myself and family. I go in and I lead them into selling me the car I want and for the price I like. Its really funny. When my brother needed a car I went with him and got a 02 Rsx type S 12k miles for 15k and this was 8 months ago the blue book for it was 19-21k. I was in and out in 1/2 hour. I knew all the tricks and that they paid the person wholesale price for the car because it was a Acura at a Mazda dealership and that some kid want the new Rx8 and traded his car in for peanuts. FYI dealerships dont like paying alot for other brands but they will bump the price up alot if they know its a hot selling car. That was this case they gave the guy 14k and where selling it for 19.5k i said i would take it right then for 15k. It works better at the end of the month when they are trying to get their bonuses. I even got a good deal on my Infiniti Dec of 03 I got a 03.5 every thing but Navi for 2k down 410 month for 39 months and 15k. That was with etching lo jack gap and other things. If you ever have question just ask.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
After twenty years of successfully managing dealerships from Summit to Toms River NJ ( Buick, Ford, Saab, M. Benz, Audi, Porshe, VW, and Infiniti), 10 years of owning an autotransport/auction service company, and still actively wholesale cars....I mistakenly? felt qualified in saying that I found that article hilariously inaccurate.....but then again I never worked an 'urban' highway "joint", nor would I ever subscribe to that type of sales ethic (or lack of lol). I, and my people, always made GREAT money without "rust and dust" or "window etching'....AND we slept at night. I bow to your obvious superior, self acclaimed, skills and now must acknowledge that the article might possibly be more on target than I would have ever imagined. Thank you for perpetuating the car sales stereotype