G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

FI for my Sedan on its way.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FI for my Sedan on its way.

This car is beginning to remind me of my 300zx TT. A money pit! Maybe I'm trying to create a 4 dr version of it!?!? So few months ago I got the Nismo Aero Kit and dialed in my suspension. Been happy with that, but now I want more power. So.. I ordered the Stillen Stage 2 Supercharger. Now some of you maybe wondering why I chose Stillen over a Vortech, or APS TT, or some of the other vendors out there and so here is my reasoning.

I had the opportunity to drive Scott Performance's 350z Roadster with APS TT on stock internals pushing ~460 to the wheels. The car was fast, and very streetable. Power delivery was what I would expect from a Twin Turbo. I then got a ride in one of their customers APS TT 350z with a fully built motor running 15psi with over 520RWHP. This was insanely fast. Amazing sling shot acceleration. To do this in my car would cost over 13k on stock internals and over 20k with a built motor. I then got a ride in a customers Vortech g35 coupe at zcargarge (the one in Sport compact car). It was powerful and fast. However it was loud and I knew i would be annoyed with the constant hiss during normal driving.

Now this brings me to the Stillen Kit. While it does not produce the horsepower numbers as some of these other kits, its torque is substantially higher all the way up to about 5500RPMs. Now this car being my daily driver the power curve of the Stillen will suit me better, and I "think" will give me better driving pleasure. I'll only know for sure once its installed. Its smog legal, comes with a warranty, and I got a smoking deal on it.

Now in order to maintain reliability I am getting the Stillen Valve Body upgrade and installing a B&M tranny cooler. Zcargarge will do this work next week. I am going to install the Supercharger on my own ( should be arriving in 3 weeks). I specificially wanted to get the valve body upgrade before the supercharger to see how that mod behaves independent from the SC. We are going to do a number of 0-60 runs on a G-tech before and after the VB just to see what the improvements are. I'm sure many of you would like this info as would I. I have also been thinking of the Technosquare L-spec reflash, but I want to wait and see how the car behaves with the stock ECU just for comparison.

I tried hard to find someone with a Stillen SC to ride in but couldn't find one. Looks like i'll try in mine. Now the hood, yes I know I really don't like it either. I did see a picture of powerhousefan's g35 sedan and another sedan same color parked next to each other in a photo. When painted it doesn't look bad to me. Sometime in the future if a better looking hood comes out, I can always upgrade.

So stay tuned as she gets blown lol

Last edited by sukhi; 06-15-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:32 PM
You have gone to the dark side? Congratulations. I have been contemplating about going FI as well but have been holding out. Keep us posted as you progress. I'm interested in the DIY of the Stillen FI install.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:26 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Sukhi,

Congrats on the purchase and nice write-up. I am anxious to see the final outcome and HP numbers. Promise you'll give me a ride when you're all dialed in.

...Cru

Old 06-17-2005, 01:42 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Excellent! I'm anxious to know about your VB upgrade for sure! Also (obviously) looking forward to your results with the SC! Congrats!!

If you read SportZ magazine, the last issue (spring 05) shows a pic "The Mole" caught of a new coupe hood - I think it’s ugly, but it's an option. I realize you have a sedan... maybe a sedan hood is on the way? Funny, 'cause at last months Stillen event Steve did a SC seminar and I asked him if they were considering a different hood... He circumvented the question by stating something like 'we listen to our customers suggestions and try to accommodate' - that's not verbatim (which is why I didn’t use actual quotes). Anyway, maybe a sedan hood is on its way. I'm sure by the time I'm ready for FI (after more manufacturer warranty under my belt) there will be more options.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Old 06-28-2005, 02:35 PM
It would be killer if you just cut a hole in the hood (nicely of course) ad allow the SC to hang out the top.

I don't think the valve body will do too much with out the added power of the SC.

sean

Old 06-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Great post and congrats - looking forward to seeing how this comes out and what you think once it's all done.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
excellent! Sukhi, Z car garage is doing my Valve Body today, along with crawford headers/cats & TS ECU L-spec (it's at F-spec now, but it's pinging). you are most welcome to ride in my car after that's done.

/me watches this thread.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by socalsean
I don't think the valve body will do too much with out the added power of the SC.
I disagree... I know several people without FI that have VB and say it's definitely worth it... I sat shotgun in Dsskyline's G this weekend at AMS dyno day - the shifting is definitely notably quicker, smoother and more precise. It's on my "to do" list.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
excellent! Sukhi, Z car garage is doing my Valve Body today, along with crawford headers/cats & TS ECU L-spec (it's at F-spec now, but it's pinging). you are most welcome to ride in my car after that's done.

/me watches this thread.
How much are they charging for VB w/install?

Old 06-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
How much are they charging for VB w/install?
VB itself is $700, plus ~2-3 hours labor. comes out to about $1000. you know, i stopped asking rob how much it'll be. i know he is reasonable, he never overcharged me - in fact, he often undercharges me on labor. like, when i switched stillen cat-back for fujitsubo, he did not charge me a dime for labor. i just look the price up onthe web, ask him how many hours it'll be (his answer goes along the lines of "N to N+1 hours", where N is a reasonable integer), and i say "do it".

Old 06-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
VB itself is $700, plus ~2-3 hours labor. comes out to about $1000. you know, i stopped asking rob how much it'll be. i know he is reasonable, he never overcharged me - in fact, he often undercharges me on labor. like, when i switched stillen cat-back for fujitsubo, he did not charge me a dime for labor. i just look the price up onthe web, ask him how many hours it'll be (his answer goes along the lines of "N to N+1 hours", where N is a reasonable integer), and i say "do it".
Cool, thanks. That's in-line with what I figured it would be... Once I get some other pressing issues taken care of, VB willbe next on the list.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:21 AM
Right on Codeflux,

I told rob to call me when your car is done so I could check it out. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Never been in a G35 with headers or a Valve Body Upgrade.

Rob and I going back and forth on who will install my supercharger (should be arriving late next week ). We both want to do it. I think I may let him go ahead and do it since he will have car all week to do the VB install anyway. I have many things going on right now and it would just be less thing on my plate to have him just do it... maybe i'll flip a coin

P.S. I got my wheels back from being repaired @ Wheels America in Union City. Overall not so pleased. I expected a brand new looking wheel. What I got was a new looking wheel with a few blemishes on 2 of them. I settled for some money off, and when I got home I realized they mounted my directional tires both for a right wheel. Have to take it back to them 2morow to have flipped...sucks

Old 06-29-2005, 06:39 PM
sukhi, what are you doing with your wheels? can you post photos?

let Rob do your SC - you won't regret it. they'll do it *right*. /me DROOLS........ btw, what did it run you, and what did you get quoted for the install, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
sounds awesome.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:37 PM
I had some curb rash on my rear wheels and two of my front wheels were slightly warped. I had a vibration after new tires from 70mph+ so decided to get them fixed. After they flipped my tire they accidentally scratched the lip and the clear coat started to peal. I dropped it off again this morning and should have it back tomorrow. sux.

Rob is a good guy. He used to work on my Z32TT back when he was at Scotts Perf. Actually I'm trying to get him to give me a break on the VB install time and tranny cooler. The SC, he says will take between 10-12 hours. Is your car done?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FI for my Sedan on its way.