G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Wiper chatter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RetAF
I agree that it is probably something on the windshield. Mine skipped and chattered like crazy when I first got it. If it wasn`t a 45 minute drive to the dealer, I would have taken it back. Instead, I washed with vinegar, then used Stoner`s Invisible Glass on it. Viola! No more chatter. Haven`t had it since, which reinforces the belief that there was something put on the glass, maybe for shipping.
What I'm thinking is this might be that slightly greasy film that comes out around the sunroof and washes forward, on the passenger side, the "trajectory" goes where the wiper doesn't clear, on the driver side, it does, not sure about this, do most of the people commenting here have a sunroof? I'm going to wash my car tomorrow and clean the windshield really well, use alcohol. I wonder about this, because when it first rains, the wiper works fine, it's after driving in the hard rain I start to notice this, and on subsequent days before I've had a chance to clean the glass. I am told they spray the entire car with cosmoline prior to shipping to protect it from the elements.

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 10-24-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally got to test out the new wipers the dealer installed. But, the day I put the new wipers, I cleaned the windshield a few times with vinegar and water, and a final wipe down with Stoner's Invisible Glass. It was raining last night in Chicago, so I was able to use the wipers for a good amount of time. They were good at first, but after a while in the rain, it just started chattering again!!! Once the rain slowed down to a drizzle, it didn't chatter anymore. They have a mind of their own! My next attempt will be the PIAAs (after the winter).

Old 10-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by lelg35
I finally got to test out the new wipers the dealer installed. But, the day I put the new wipers, I cleaned the windshield a few times with vinegar and water, and a final wipe down with Stoner's Invisible Glass. It was raining last night in Chicago, so I was able to use the wipers for a good amount of time. They were good at first, but after a while in the rain, it just started chattering again!!! Once the rain slowed down to a drizzle, it didn't chatter anymore. They have a mind of their own! My next attempt will be the PIAAs (after the winter).
Do you have a sunroof?

Old 10-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Do you have a sunroof?
Yes, I do. Any luck with yours?

Old 10-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by lelg35
Yes, I do. Any luck with yours?
I talked with the parts manager at my dealer (who knows more about this stuff than the service folks). He says the stuff that runs out of the sunroof when it rains good, is the cosmoline, which then runs down onto the glass, that could be why the wiper works fine at first, then get's "fouled" after it rains a bit, I truly think if it was a bad wiper, it would chatter all the time, even right off. I cleaned my windshield really well with alochol when I washed it last, hasn't rained yet though to try it out!

Old 10-24-2005, 11:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Today I bought and installed the PIAA super silicone wipers 22 inch. Went for a spin and it didn't chatter. But it's not smooth like the passenger blade though. It makes a bit more noise. Let's see how it keeps up. Never bought a wiper blade that cost me like $23+ after tax.

Anyway, in my earlier post, I had mentioned that they did the tsb on the console/clock/vents and it was better. Now the noise all seem to came back. That plus, I noticed a new squeaking noise from the front passenger side.

I sat in my brother's 97 Lexus LS400 today and it was dead silent. No squeaks whatsoever and his car is like 120,000 miles or something like that. Talk about quality...

Old 10-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Today I bought and installed the PIAA super silicone wipers 22 inch. Went for a spin and it didn't chatter. But it's not smooth like the passenger blade though. It makes a bit more noise. Let's see how it keeps up. Never bought a wiper blade that cost me like $23+ after tax.

Anyway, in my earlier post, I had mentioned that they did the tsb on the console/clock/vents and it was better. Now the noise all seem to came back. That plus, I noticed a new squeaking noise from the front passenger side.

I sat in my brother's 97 Lexus LS400 today and it was dead silent. No squeaks whatsoever and his car is like 120,000 miles or something like that. Talk about quality...
I find that hard to believe, every car has squeaks to some extent, maybe all the spots that squeaked wore out. Just sat in it?

Old 10-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I find that hard to believe, every car has squeaks to some extent, maybe all the spots that squeaked wore out. Just sat in it?
I mean I don't go and listen to it. He was driving and I didn't notice any squeaks. Not like our G, it reminds me of that cereal...snack crackle pop.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:30 PM
I had the driver side chatter real bad. Very embarrassing. Tried wax, came back. Cleaned with Vinegar until I heard a squeaky clean sound coming from the windshield as I wiped with a towel. Next cleaned with dishwashing liquid mixed with water(only windshield - not car body) to get rid of the Vinegar stink.

So far I have 100 miles of intermittent wiper usage in the rain.........chatter free. Smooth like silk, even on dry glass. Hope it lasts. If necessary I will repeat.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by 04_G35XPN
I had the driver side chatter real bad. Very embarrassing. Tried wax, came back. Cleaned with Vinegar until I heard a squeaky clean sound coming from the windshield as I wiped with a towel. Next cleaned with dishwashing liquid mixed with water(only windshield - not car body) to get rid of the Vinegar stink.

So far I have 100 miles of intermittent wiper usage in the rain.........chatter free. Smooth like silk, even on dry glass. Hope it lasts. If necessary I will repeat.
Dishwashing liquid, like Dawn?

Old 10-25-2005, 08:12 PM
You guys should try Glass Wax. I think you can get it at Wal-Mart. It basically removes any grime/build-up on the glass. I had good success with it in an older car that seemed to have a film on the windshield. Haven't tried it on the G, as my wipers don't chatter (05 Sedan).

Old 10-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Dishwashing liquid, like Dawn?
Yea, like Dawn. Mind you that was just for the Vinegar smell. I doubt that had anything to do with stopping the chatter, because I had used that before to no avail. What really stuck in my mind was wiping with a Vinegar rag until I heard the sqeaking sound. At first I didn't hear it. Being so pissed off because of this problem I just kept rubbing, figuring I couldn't rub enough. Sure enough after about 30 seconds I got that sqeaky clean sound. Reminded me of an old girlfriend who noted how I liked my dishes washed.

After the stock wipers, I had bought Bosch which still chattered. Next switched to Rain X wipers (heavier and recommended by Martin some time ago). Still chattered. Tried Rain X liquid, chatter came back after awile. Read this thread, tried the Vinegar, switched back to the Bosch which hadn't really been used much, and here we are.

Add 50 more miles of intermittant use last night. Still chatter free. Best of luck with this pain in the xxx problem.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:24 PM
I am still having this issue.

I have tried Bosch blades, trico blades, pylon blades. OEM refills. Had the dealer replace the wipers (19.99 + 21 labor )

Tomorrow I will try the vinegar.

Anyone have any luck fixing this?

Old 11-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried Valeo blades? I have these on my car and they are definitely the best blades I have ever used. Totally quiet and no streaks or chatter.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp

Old 11-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Argetni
I am still having this issue.

I have tried Bosch blades, trico blades, pylon blades. OEM refills. Had the dealer replace the wipers (19.99 + 21 labor )

Tomorrow I will try the vinegar.

Anyone have any luck fixing this?
I was hoping this would be fixed once and for all. Unfortunately my problem also persisted. The Bosch worked for awhile but the chatter came back. I still had the RainX blades. I put them on and noticed the shaky section of the driver's blade (near the bottom of the windshield) wiggles in both directions. This has been true for all blades I tried, and if I recall correctly, was part of the original problem.

I then noticed a set of adapters in each of the RainX blades. It seems these blades come setup with an adapter that works for the type of wipers that connect with a round piece of metal 90 degrees off the wiper arm. This specific adapter has a hole in it to facilitate that connection point. The other adapter that came with the RainX blades has no hole and is a more solid fit, when the blade is attached to the car's metal wiper end. You have to push down a tab to get them back off.

Anyway, with the new adapter (without the hole) the driver's blade does not wiggle anymore, and thus no more chatter or skipping. The blade travels really smooth now.

So, the answer to this problem seems to be:

1) A clean windshield (Either vinegar or Bon Ami)
2) A 90 degree angle of the blade to the windshield (Check by moving the blade by hand with the power off, just a little to see that it goes the same amount in each direction and doesn't seem like it's leaning toward one side.)
3) The right blades (A secure fit that doesn't wiggle and only travels smoothly)

I travel in dirty conditions regularly, so the vinegar is a periodic thing.

Good luck. Mine are working nicely now. Hope it stays that way.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wiper chatter