G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Dual Bypass Systems, Pre-Oilers - make your baby last forever

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Dual Bypass Systems, Pre-Oilers - make your baby last forever

Hey guys,

So I'm expecting my new 6mt sedan to be delivered in a few weeks and I have already ordered and recived the following items:

first item - The chrome item is the pre-charger, the filter on the left is a standard filter, and the filter on the right removes particles as small as 1/10 of a micron.

and

second item - picture below is of the MARINE version, which I did not order.

and

third item

I'll probably stick with a cheaper synthetic 'till about 10k miles becuase my drains will be according to factory or so intervals (due to higher metal content in the oil). But after 10K i'm pullin' yearly or even less frequent changes thanks to this system.

Has anyone installed one of these yet? Any advice as to where to mount it?

If nobody has done this yet, I will probably produce a write-up.

Comments?

Old 07-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like you'll be adding an extra 8 pounds or so to your ride. What exactly is this thing going to do for you?

Old 07-01-2005, 11:23 AM
According to all of the research I've done and the oil analysis reports I've seen, this will keep my engine young much longer by eliminating start-up wear (when the oil is at the bottom of the pan) and keeping the oil so clean it can be used for 40k miles or more so I don't have to bother with changes - this is proven

And if it adds 8 pounds, so what, I'll just loose 8 pounds at the gym c'mon man, most people have more than that in their trunks they could loose.

Actually, I'm not even sure about how much it weighs, I'll let you know after I get home to check out the parts...

Originally Posted by doogie
Looks like you'll be adding an extra 8 pounds or so to your ride. What exactly is this thing going to do for you?

Old 07-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think amsoil is the best oil out there. Stick to mineral till 20k and do them really often. I went for the 100, then 500 and next will be 2 months from now (prolly 1.5k)

Old 07-01-2005, 12:25 PM
The only other oil I"ve found to be comparable in terms of durability and protect in an oil, is mobil 1 supersyn formula, yet mobil1 tends to make their xw30 weight oils on the thinner side... towards xw20 type oils. Additionally, it has been shown by many an oil analysis report, that the vq35 likes the higher viscocisy amoil vs the mobil1 when examining wear rates.

Originally Posted by G35_coupe_6MT
I dont think amsoil is the best oil out there. Stick to mineral till 20k and do them really often. I went for the 100, then 500 and next will be 2 months from now (prolly 1.5k)

Old 07-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I have an 1997 F-150 (first year for the 4.6L) and I change the oil evey 3000 to 4000 miles. I now has 298,000 miles and still runs strong. I think everything else on the truck will fail before the engine.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:50 PM
But why go through the hassle and watefulness of changing every 3-4k miles?

Originally Posted by Texasscout
I have an 1997 F-150 (first year for the 4.6L) and I change the oil evey 3000 to 4000 miles. I now has 298,000 miles and still runs strong. I think everything else on the truck will fail before the engine.

Old 07-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think amsoil is the best oil out there.
Care to enlighten us on what brand of oil you in fact think is best?

Study after research after anecdote indicates that Amsoil is an excellent product. I've never used it because I'm to lazy too fiddle with tracking it down, so I generally stick with Mobil 1. But Amsoil is every bit as good as Mobil 1. It's probably a better overall product for extended oil change intervals.
Stick to mineral till 20k and do them really often. I went for the 100, then 500 and next will be 2 months from now (prolly 1.5k)
I agree. I change my oil every **** stop or 60 miles, whichever comes first. ExxonMobil made me Honorary Chairman last year. I expect you're well on the way to Deputy Honorary Chairman.

Seriously: Your change intervals are nuts.

Bythebay, I corresponded with a guy about seven years ago who installed a similar filter system on his Sentra SE-R. He ran Amsoil too with change intervals, IIRC, of 25K miles or one year. He was a brave fella, yes, but an informed kind of brave who used Blackstone Labs two or three times a year. He ran that car for something like 150K and opened the valve cover to find... pristine shininess. It was pretty surprising because the SR20DE engine in that car was/is known for varnishing up the head.

So good luck.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by bythabay
But why go through the hassle and watefulness of changing every 3-4k miles?
298,000 miles, that's why!

Old 07-02-2005, 02:08 PM
298,000 miles, that's why!
My point is not that you reached 298k w/ so many changes, but my point is that you could've reached the same milege with much much fewer changes, and much less pollution & more money saved.

Old 07-02-2005, 02:11 PM
By the way, anyone who is interested in getting a setup like this installed, can go to Vince or Pascual @ puertola's performance (if you're in the bay area). They've done plenty of filter relocations, bypass filter installs, and other such jobs (and they do the best, cleanest work I've see anywhere)

here's their info:

Address: 382 21st Ave, San Francisco, CA 94121
Phone: (415) 751-1701

Old 07-02-2005, 05:30 PM
My point is not that you reached 298k w/ so many changes, but my point is that you could've reached the same milege with much much fewer changes, and much less pollution & more money saved.
Money saved, maybe. Pollution? Naw. I always had it done at an oil change place. They recycle all their oil and filters.

Money saved? How much is a Crate 4.6L Ford truck engine?

Old 07-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Well even worse then (I had thought you did your own changes...) Apparently, you are wasting at least $15-20 every 3-4k miles to pay someone (perhaps including the el-cheapo & low quality filter & oil combo) to change your oil & filter. Additionally, you are wasting fuel every time you drive to the place, and having a dry start every time you replace your sub-par quality oil filter.

beat that!

Money saved, maybe. Pollution? Naw. I always had it done at an oil change place. They recycle all their oil and filters.

Money saved? How much is a Crate 4.6L Ford truck engine?

Old 07-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Wink Sure...

beat that!

Sure, I didn't pay for it. It was a company truck that I drove for three years and bought from the company for $3600. It had 200000 miles when I bought it, so, I only have paid for changes for the last 98000 miles.

BTW, it only shows that even cheap oil will protect your engine. Come back when your G has 300K on it and then you can brag. (spank, spank)

Last edited by Texasscout; 07-03-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:27 AM
okay, okay.. not bad. I do, however, agree that any oil can take your car to that mileage, it's just that the frequency of changes and condition of the engine could vary (ie: mineral oil leaves behind more deposits and waxes + you have to change it more..)

Anyways, I'm getting all this stuff installed very soon.. any suggestions for a mounting location? I was thinking right infront of the radiator becuase it seems like there is a big gap there. I noticed some kind of long aluminum bar behind the bumper... not really quite sure what it is or if it can be removed, but if it can be, I would probably like to drill a few holes there to mount my bypass and preoiler system - otherwise i may have to fabricate another bracket to be able to drill the bar from the top.. in any case, mounting in front of the radiator will involve removal of the front grille.. is this difficult?

Any suggestions for where to mount this stuff (as close to the original filter location would be ideal)

?

Sure, I didn't pay for it. It was a company truck that I drove for three years and bought from the company for $3600. It had 200000 miles when I bought it, so, I only have paid for changes for the last 98000 miles.

BTW, it only shows that even cheap oil will protect your engine. Come back when your G has 300K on it and then you can brag. (spank, spank)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dual Bypass Systems, Pre-Oilers - make your baby last forever