G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Having problem getting the shifter out of park! SLIP, ABS, and VDC lights all come on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having problem getting the shifter out of park! SLIP, ABS, and VDC lights all come on

I got in my car yesterday night about to head out on a date when this all happen. I started up the car and everything was fine. I then stepped on the brake pedal and it made a unusual noise, i didn't pay to much attention to it cause i was in a hurry. I then tried to put the car in reverse but the shifter would not move ( 03 5AT by the way) I know my brake pads are pretty much worn out and i need to change them soon, but could this be the reason why my SLlP, ABS, and VDC lights came on and why i cant get the car out of park?

Old 07-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure but you should have a shift lock release key in the bag with your lug wrench. Owners manual says you might not get it out of park if your battery charge is low. If this isn't the case, get it to a dealer.

"To move the selector lever, apply the parking brake, depress the brake pedal, and push the release button. The selector lever can be moved to N. This allows the vehicle to be moved if the battery is discharged."

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2005, 06:42 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Could be a faulty brake pedal switch too, which would then not allow the release of the shifter.

Dealer time, if you can drive it, otherwise have them trailer it.
C.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:40 PM
if you were on a hill with out the parking brake set or letting the tranny hold you there then setting the parking brake, the shifter will be really tight to get out of park because there is a **** load of tension on the gears. just a guess my titan does it when i park in my driveway. its a really steep one. even with the parking brake set. the truck still trys to roll back.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Beleive it or not check your brake fluid level. Mine was down just below the line and the VDC, Slip, Brake light would come on if I accelerated hard. I would have to restart the car and sometimes it would clear, sometimes I would have to restart the car several times before it would reset. I bought a fresh container of Brake fluid, top it off and the problem has not come back yet.
When your brake fluid is even slightly low, it apparently effects the Electronic LSD function in the car (computer applies brakes slightly to a slipping tire to encourage the other tire to engage) Try this simple fix before bringing it to the dealer. Worth a try right?

Old 07-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Banned
that happend to me when i was installing the spoiler, i guess i touched something together and it shorted out the fuse, for the electronics, check the fuses, i bet its blown, because thats exactly what lights came on, when i turned the car on it was fine and then when i pressed the brake, thats when they came on

Old 07-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by LuXXXz
that happend to me when i was installing the spoiler, i guess i touched something together and it shorted out the fuse, for the electronics, check the fuses, i bet its blown, because thats exactly what lights came on, when i turned the car on it was fine and then when i pressed the brake, thats when they came on
Thanks to everyone that responded. It turns out that i did have a busted fuse. I did replace it and everything is fine now.

The following users liked this post:
BigGmiles35 (07-10-2022)
Old 07-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by SiR 621
Thanks to everyone that responded. It turns out that i did have a busted fuse. I did replace it and everything is fine now.

no problem anyway i can help

Old 04-05-2021, 07:18 PM
G35
G35 abs slip vdc

What fuse did you change im having a smilar problem cant get it out of park and already changed the stop light switch behind the brake pedal. Also my tail lights are out, but car turns on no problem.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:07 AM
Coupe
G35 slip / vdc livht

STEERING ANGLE SENSOR OR CLOCKSPRING

I was driving from Dallas to Houston, when it started to rain. The roads became slippery, the car fish tailed as I braked and I noticed my steering wheel moved, a notch, to the left. It happened 3 or 4 more times, during that same drive home. Change the steering angle sensor or/and clock spring because once the steering wheel is not aligned, its faulty. You can not reuse the clock spring, it must be new and aligned, correctly at installment.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:50 PM
g35x
Do you know what fuse

I have this same problem but can’t find what fuse is blown

Old 07-10-2022, 11:56 PM
g35x
Do you know what fuse

I have this same problem but can’t find what fuse is blown

Old 07-15-2022, 11:06 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Cabin Fuse Block - J/B fuses 12 and 20. Both are 10 amp fuses.

Make sure your brake lights turn on when you hit the brakes, the most common culprit is the brake switch failing which causes the shift lock solenoid to not be released.

There is also a shift lock relay you should check if both those fuses are good and the brake lights work properly. It's mounted on the left side of the shifter assembly and covered in silver foil and mastic tape.

Old 10-08-2023, 06:02 PM
G35 coupe
Hello ive seeb you around and seems like you know these cars ... which fuse box and fuses did u point out ? i am also having an issue.... my 2006 g35 coupe starts fine but when i press the brakes to get it out of PARK the abs slip vdc come on , also i noticed with a video i recorded that my left reverse light wasnt working , ( prior to the problems) i just mentioned my gear selector had had problems When i shifted out of P to R it would kick (you eally felt the gear) then when in D samething and as soon as i drive its a snale/sluggish! in order for me to drive it i had to keeprestarting till the intial gear change from P TO R is smooth and sane with N TO D and drives perfect. i checked fuses( notreally knowin where to look simply checking correct V of each) now the car is stuch in P unless i use the shift lock hole to do it with E BRAKE DOWN TOO hope yu can helpnman

Old 10-14-2023, 02:08 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sorry for the late reply, Fuse Block - J/B is the cabin fuse box located in the left side footwell.