G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Opinion - "Adaptive" ECM (ECU) & the VDC System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion - "Adaptive" ECM (ECU) & the VDC System

If I'd known Infiniti had designed the G35 with an intrusive "adaptive" ECM and a VDC system that's never out of the picture, I'd be driving another manufacturer's sport sedan.

You shouldn't have to destroy your gas mileage (or driving record) in order to maintain the maximum performance of your sport coupe or sport sedan.

A sport sedan or coupe should be programed with a sport/normal ECM mode. In the sport mode it should hall butt, without having to learn that it needs to be fast.

If you agree, join me in letting Infiniti know of your displeasure!

Old 06-19-2003, 08:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Opinion - "Adaptive" ECM (ECU) & the VDC System

Unfortunately I think you would still have the same issues with any other manufacturer. I don't disagree with you, just that they are all trying to second think the drivers these days.

Old 06-19-2003, 10:15 PM

BMW's Steptronic transmission has a normal adaptive mode, a sport mode that tosses the adaptive memory out the window and uses a pre-set aggressive shift pattern, and a fully manual mode that puts the transmission in whatever gear you want and holds it - up or down. And the stability/traction controls can be turned completely off.

You're right about most other manufacturers, though.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 06-20-2003, 09:02 AM

Yes Rykoen your right, Mercedes does something similar. I also "hate" the vdc. Its the largest performance inhibiting factor that is on our cars. Infiniti did itself a big disfavor by adding such a controlling comp. To me its almost like saying i dont trust you to run your car properly... And if you are going to e-mail infiniti i have your back

Old 06-20-2003, 11:45 AM

Maybe I am missing the point but can't you shut off the VDC and shift the car yourself? Even better if you don't like the way the auto shifts get a manual... the only reason I am sitting behind the wheel of the auto version is because my wife needs to drive it too ... oh well maybe in a few years I can pass this car on to her and get myself a 6spd G35 coupe

Old 06-20-2003, 11:57 AM

The VDC system is only "mostly off" -- which is the complaint. And the auto in manual mode doesn't shift as quickly as it does with other automanuals, mainly because it's not really a manual shift mode, but more of a max-gear selector mode -- the other part of the complaint.

And if I got a manual, I wouldn't have rear A/C ducts! Waaaaa! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2003, 02:23 PM

So...how do we REALLY turn off the VDC? I am curious to see what the car is like fully without it. I do like the way it drives much better with it "OFF". When aftermarket ECU's come out with that eliminate the VDC via an option?

If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.

Old 06-20-2003, 03:30 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Opinion - "Adaptive" ECM (ECU) & the VDC Syste

There is a switch next to the dash dimmer wheel on the left
side of the steering column. Push it in and the VDC Off light
will come on.

God I love this car!

Old 06-20-2003, 03:43 PM

^- I dunno if the method above works on ALL cars.. Ive read that it does but when I went to the track and had the vcd off it still flashed the slip light a few times..

The way you konw VCD is FULLY iff is if you do a few burnouts then the VCD and the SLIP lights stay on.... (thats what ive figured)..

Old 06-20-2003, 10:28 PM

The manual mode IS a gimmic on these cars, I think we all pretty much know that...The VDC should be able to be shut off and be 100% off, if not, maybe we can do what the GEN III SHO drivers did for their suspension settings, which was to pull the fuse so the car rode in sport/hard mode...some people went as far as to wire a toggle switch so they could do this at any time easily. Their must be some techs on the forum that know how to do all this sh*t...Help us!

John

02 Maxima SE 14.5 @ 95 (Wife's)
03.5 G35 Silver and Loaded
87 Mustang GT 13.2 @ 107

Old 06-21-2003, 09:42 AM

My last car Dodge Intrepid also had "autostick" or whatever you want to call it... seemed the same as this one. The reason they are all offering them now is because trannies are electronically shifted so it's easy to do.

I don't have 1200mi yet but when I do I shall test to see if the VDC is really off

Old 06-21-2003, 05:36 PM

After driving a 2003.5 Auto Sedan with 1500 miles on it I more fully understand the refinements.

The changes in the ECM program is very apparent. The throttle response, the automatic transmission response, the VDC and even the auto temperature control are much better than my car manufactured in June 02.

Of course the dealer says my cars fine and meets Infiniti's production standard. I expected that!

Remind me not to buy an early production first year car again. Even an Infiniti!

Old 06-21-2003, 05:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI

Or you could purchase another set of ECMs and put them in for about $900 and see if that makes adifference. The only concern is the "Immobilizer" programming for our keys and you need the ConsultII for that.
Better yet is the work being done by TechnoSquare and Zdriver to reprogram our engine ECM.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2003, 06:02 AM

The JDM version of the Skyline has a normal/winter mode button, but I don't think that's what you wanted....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinion - "Adaptive" ECM (ECU) & the VDC System