G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

What is important when choosing a gas station

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is important when choosing a gas station

Since I take the position that all name brand gas with an octane rating of 91 or more is the same, the important things to me are ease of getting into and out of the station, the wait, and most importantly in NJ which is not self service is whether or not the guy will spill gas on my car. Next to door dings my pet peeve is the guy who carelessly pulls out the nozzle and gas spills gas all over the side of the car. I shake my head at the guys who try not to spill the gas and still do. (The best way to remove a nozzle is to turn in upside down as you start to remove it). I hoover over these guys and watch them like hawks and when they aren't there I pull out the nozzle whenever possible. Any time they spill gas, I force them to get some water and clean it up. This brings out mostly dormant nasty side of my personality but I have no patience for the jerk who can't even do a simple thing like pump gas properly and I then write off that gas station unless it is an emergency.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:03 AM
I used to live in NJ and I feel your pain....Where in NJ are yah at? I lived in Edison, East Brunswick, and Toms River....

Old 07-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
I look for one that has hot topless chicks who will wash your windshield with their *****.

Oh, and they need to sell some kind of gas too.

Last edited by GeeWillikers; 07-22-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
I look for one that has hot topless chicks who will wash your windshield with their *****.

Oh, and they need to seel some kind of gas too.
They can spill all the gas they want and they can even sit on my car, especially on the sunroof (with the sunshade open of course)

Old 07-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by Corgidog
They can spill all the gas they want and they can even sit on my car, especially on the sunroof (with the sunshade open of course)
Exactly. I bring along a handful of microfiber thongs in the glovebox just in case they feel the need to expand their horizons.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Since I take the position that all name brand gas with an octane rating of 91 or more is the same, the important things to me are ease of getting into and out of the station, the wait, and most importantly in NJ which is not self service is whether or not the guy will spill gas on my car. Next to door dings my pet peeve is the guy who carelessly pulls out the nozzle and gas spills gas all over the side of the car. I shake my head at the guys who try not to spill the gas and still do. (The best way to remove a nozzle is to turn in upside down as you start to remove it). I hoover over these guys and watch them like hawks and when they aren't there I pull out the nozzle whenever possible. Any time they spill gas, I force them to get some water and clean it up. This brings out mostly dormant nasty side of my personality but I have no patience for the jerk who can't even do a simple thing like pump gas properly and I then write off that gas station unless it is an emergency.

Why go to a full service station? Pump it yourself...

Old 07-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by ajg35
Why go to a full service station? Pump it yourself...
I live in NJ and we have no choice but to have someone pump it for you. No self service in NJ

Old 07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

I live in NJ and we have no choice but to have someone pump it for you. No self service in NJ
Are you serious? I had no idea full-service still existed.

When I was a young tot, back when we had the bell hoses out across the pump bays, I used to work a full service island at my Dad's gas station. I would check the oil and service the tires and battery while another guy pumped the gas. Yet a third guy cleaned the glass.

It gave me pocket money and even at that age I loved to be around the cars.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in MA, and we have both full and self-serve. I haven't used full-serve in prob 6-7 years. It's not their car, so theres no way they are going to care as much as you do.

On the "whats important" idea:
- I like gas stations with long handle window wipers....lets you get the back window from one side (sunoco).
- I also like gas stations with things like the speedpass (mobile) as its pretty cool to grab a gatorade, walk up to the cashier, swipe and just leave (no need to sign, or even get a reciept)

Last edited by madchef; 07-22-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:02 PM
In Oregon there is no self serve either. Politically and financially I have to say I like the idea, spilling gas on my finish, I'm not as fond of. But for those who are unfamiliar with the law, this isn't Full Service (level checks, windows etc), it's just pumping the gas and taking your credit card, I think it's called "Mini Service"

Old 07-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hah, when I was in NY State last weekend I pulled into a station, got out, started pumping my own gas when the attendant ran over and said "hey you can't do that!", I thought he as talking to someone else when I realized it was not self service. I hadn't seen one of those in 10 years.

Anyway, I don't like it but if I had to do if I'd try a few stations to see which I liked then when I picked one I'd make sure to get a rapor with the attendants and make sure to tip them well so they were careful when dealing with me.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:59 PM

Wow! Like others, I was unaware that it was standard. There are maybe one two in this area, but they are at least optional stations.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in NY. Whenever I go to NJ, I make sure I get my tank full in NY first before I start driving (even though gas cost less in NJ). I just don't want anyone touching my car.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I always use self-serve stations, if possible. The last time I had to use a full serve it was at a Sunoco in Guelph on Woodlawn, the young butt-head pumping gas went to put the nozzle in my car and hit just inside the gas door and caused a small chip. I freaked on him took the nozzle away from him and shoved him away and suggested he stay far away from me if wanted to see the rest of the day through . I will never let anyone touch it at a gas station again.
What is wrong with people these days, can't even do a simple task like that .

Old 07-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I always use self-serve stations, if possible. The last time I had to use a full serve it was at a Sunoco in Guelph on Woodlawn, the young butt-head pumping gas went to put the nozzle in my car and hit just inside the gas door and caused a small chip. I freaked on him took the nozzle away from him and shoved him away and suggested he stay far away from me if wanted to see the rest of the day through . I will never let anyone touch it at a gas station again.
What is wrong with people these days, can't even do a simple task like that .
Wow...you are a tough guy Wayne.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is important when choosing a gas station