G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Another Annoying 05 Cabin Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Annoying 05 Cabin Noise

Ok, so I only have 310 miles on my new 05 6MT and already it's making an annoying sound inside the cabin. It seems to be coming from an area of the driver side door panel just left of the air vent. It's a "popping" or "static" type sound that happens quite steadily while driving. It is soooooo annoying.

If I press on the black part of the door panel in that area, it seems to stop. I've taken the door panel off 3 times already and tried applying felt tape around the area, but the sound still persists.

Does anyone else have this same problem? I'd really like to avoid having to take it into the dealer to get it fixed, as I only think that would make things worse.

Help!...the sound is driving me crazy!

Old 07-28-2005, 07:19 AM
i've got the same exact static sound in my new g35x (1200 miles)... keep in touch... let me know if you can fix it... i'll do the same

Old 07-28-2005, 07:28 AM
I have the same noise. I sprayed a bit of WD40 right where the door panel meets the door frame and where the top of the panel meets the door frame (Back of the door by your ear). So far this morning it did not make the noise on my 30 mile drive to work. Time will tell but good so far.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I had a noise similar to that on my 05 sedan when I first got it. It was where the drivers door panel met the dash when the door was shut. I poked around and discovered it was the door panel rubbing against the side of the dash. I would slide a piece of paper between these two pieces and this irritating intermittent noise would stop. I taped a small pad felt (about 1/8" thick) where the contact was. I left it there for a few days, then took it off, I have not heard the noise since. Leaving the felt there for a few days made a bit of extra clearance so the rubbing did not occur anymore .
When I was looking for the noise, I had to open the door and shut it against the piece of paper, thats how I found my irritating noise similar to yours.
This might not be the source of your noise, but it's worth a try, cause the way you described it , it sounded like the same location.
So far no more noises .
Wayne

Old 07-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Welcome to the Infiniti world of irritating noises. I have them too, 3k miles and I hate them. Started off with one, and by now I think I have about 5-6 all over the place, from the front doors to the rear, to the B pillars. I no longer know where they are coming from. My finacee says I am crazy but once you hear one, they will never go away. LOL...

Old 07-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by hgiljr
Welcome to the Infiniti world of irritating noises. I have them too, 3k miles and I hate them. Started off with one, and by now I think I have about 5-6 all over the place, from the front doors to the rear, to the B pillars. I no longer know where they are coming from. My finacee says I am crazy but once you hear one, they will never go away. LOL...
Fingers crossed......I have only had the one noise that I did eliminate. I now have about 9,000 miles on my X and loving it.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:26 AM
I have that noise too for a year now. Been to the dealer 3 times and unable to fixed as they are not able to duplicate the issue. I love my G but its just isn't built as nice as my 95 300zx TT.

Old 07-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by hgiljr
that's funny. my wife thinks i'm a nut too. i always hear something in each one of our cars.

Old 07-28-2005, 12:20 PM
mikeruoc,

As you mentioned, I initially thought the sound was result of contact between the door panel and dash. But for the most part, the door panel doesn't seem to touch the dash (about 1/4" gap). I can stick a finger between the door panel and the edge of the dash where the air vent is. Are you referring to an area more hidden from view near the door frame?

Please clarify where the contact area is located, because I'm really hoping this is the problem.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Ooops, my prior post was ment for GEE35X.

Old 07-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by xtyper
Ooops, my prior post was ment for GEE35X.
xtyper...sent you back a PM

Old 07-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I think I have a similar rattle. When I press the black plastic that holds the speaker in the front of the window it seems to go away. Maybe I should try the door/dash area also. I have a rattle near the sunroof also, especially when I play music.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 PM
kei
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think these rattles and creaks will ever go away. I brought mine to a dealer for the TSB and I started to hear it as soon as I got on the freeway back home. They asked me if I wanted to bring the car back but declined and told them to take a look at it on my next major service. I usually play the music pretty loud so I can't hear it as much but the engine sounds so good on this car I turn the volume down alot now but then start to notice the sounds again.....

Old 07-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by xtyper
Ok, so I only have 310 miles on my new 05 6MT and already it's making an annoying sound inside the cabin. It seems to be coming from an area of the driver side door panel just left of the air vent. It's a "popping" or "static" type sound that happens quite steadily while driving. It is soooooo annoying.

If I press on the black part of the door panel in that area, it seems to stop. I've taken the door panel off 3 times already and tried applying felt tape around the area, but the sound still persists.

Does anyone else have this same problem? I'd really like to avoid having to take it into the dealer to get it fixed, as I only think that would make things worse.

Help!...the sound is driving me crazy!
Don't go back to the dealer, you'll end up trading her in..

Old 07-29-2005, 11:59 AM
I did some more research last night regarding the sound and discovered that if I drop the window ever so slightly (and I mean just quickly tapping the window button), then the noise goes away. But if I put the window back all the way up, the noise comes back.

This suggested to me that it was coming from behind the tweeter speaker plastic area. I tried putting some felt in this area but to no avail.

Anybody have any idea why the noise is there if the window is all the way up, but gone if I crack the window literally 5mm?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another Annoying 05 Cabin Noise