G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Tint recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint recommendation

I think it's time to go get some tint, although not sure what looks best on a black on black 05 sedan. In GA limit is 35% although my old car has 5% all around :-D Is 35% worth doing or should I take a chance with 20% on the backside and 35% on the fronts? Thanks for the input,

--Erik

Old 08-05-2005, 11:33 AM
I have 20% on the fronts and 5% on the rear and back windows of my black on black sedan and I highly recommend it. Here in AZ 32% is the limit for the fronts, but I had that on my first car and it was just way too light. The nice thing about 20% on the front is that you can still see the driver inside, so it’s not glaringly illegal like 5% is—my hubby’s daily driver was 5% all around and he was pulled over a few times for illegal tint. We do 20/5 on all our cars now.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:40 AM
I just got installed Formula One Premier Series 35 metallic tint last week.
I have no radio signal interference. (www.formulaone.com)
Since I have Stone interior, the tint actually looks lighter than I would have liked.
My friend has the identical tint on a black interior car and looks darker.
The specs are as follows:

Product UV Protection Heat Rejection Glare Reduction
Premier 50 99% 40% 42%
Premier 35 99% 52% 58%
Premier 20 99% 58% 74%

I am not sure if Premier 35 means 35% light reduction...

Old 08-05-2005, 11:59 AM
right

Yeah 5% is crazy dark at night and yea I've been pulled over a couple times by GHP because I guess they had nothing better to do, but since I was a FL resident they just got mad and gave me warnings (although at the time they couldn't do anything). The 20 / 5 sounds tempting but I will need to research some tint shops, the dealer has one they "recommend" but I doubt if they would allow me to do an illegal tint, I may have to goto the one that did my 5%. As far as metallic goes, if I don't get that will I have radio interference? I honestly haven't noticed anything in my 5% all around volvo (which is black too, at night people try to look in and can't see its the funniest thing lol). Hey it keeps my interior cooler justification enough for me :-)

--Erik

Old 08-05-2005, 12:01 PM
also

phdvamp do you mind posting a pic? I'd like to see what it looks like. Thanks,

--Erik

Old 08-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
In Kansas the legal limit is 35%. I decided to risk it and do 35% on the fronts and 20% on the rears. It looks far better than I thought it would and you really can't tell the windows are at different tints.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:21 PM
35% sides and back, stock tinted windshield. Works great to reduce heating and has almost eliminated fading of the upholstery

Old 08-05-2005, 01:54 PM
I have had three tints on my car. First, I had 35%=too light. Then I got 15%=kinda dark, but if you're gonna go that dark, then go with what I got two days ago=5%=awesome.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Most states require a sticker to be placed between the tint and glass that states the % tint used. Most allow darker on back windows as most SUVs have done at factory.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:06 PM
I got mine done in 20% in Jan before the new law got passed here in GA. I haven't gotten pulled over yet, but if I do I'll probably try to BS my way out of a ticket. I had 20 on the back and 35 on the front in my old car and it looked just fine.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:08 PM
ga

hey jayhawk where are you in ga? If you are in atlanta who did you use(just curious). Yeah in my 5% all around volvo I get dirty looks from cops, but most won't waste their time bc I don't speed in it (too slow) and nothing is really wrong. My roommate has a C230 and tinted it 20% in Fl (since hes from there) and now moved here and hasn't had a problem, and his is black / black and I like that. I may stick to 35/20 just to be safe, but cops where I live really haven't given me hassle.

--Erik

Old 08-05-2005, 04:42 PM
This is the only picture I have and unfortunately due to the lighting, it won’t help you much since the front and back look the same. I will take a picture this weekend that shows the difference more clearly.

Attached Thumbnails Tint recommendation-sedona3b.jpg  
Old 08-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Part of the reason that I got such dark tint is because my car is white. I have always thought 2 colors of cars look great in dark tint, white and black. Anyways Alta Mere (they are in the phonebook) is the place I went. I was really pleased w/ the job they did, I had one problem ( a bubble a few weeks later) but no questions asked they fixed it and appologized. I believe they do tint for a bunch of dealerships around there too during the week.

When I went I called at like 5 on a Friday evening to see if I could make an appointment for Sat. Jarred told me that he could stay a little late and I could bring my car right in. About a month ago my sister brought her car in to. She ended up with 20 in the back and 30 or whatever is legal in the front.

I also asked for them not to put stickers in between my tint (I hate free advertising) and they told me they never do that because people dont like it. I figure I will give them free advertisment this way.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:23 AM
It's Lonely At The Bottom
Limo/Extreme dark tint is out (so 1990's), go 20% or higher for a clean look.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Birdhouse
Limo/Extreme dark tint is out (so 1990's), go 20% or higher for a clean look.

I agree with this. Also, do you drive at night much? I have 35% on the sides and back, and I find that every now and then on unlit roads I can't quite see as much of the sides of the roads as I would like (when making sharp turns, backing up, etc.). Maybe I have poor eyesight (I doubt it) but I imagine with anything darker than 30% the problem is even worse.

Maybe its just me? What do you folks think?

By the way, the 35% against a diamond graphite paint job and black interior looks quite a bit darker than it actually is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tint recommendation