G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Hop

Are there any products/mods out there to fix this? Everyone else has this problem also?

Old 08-17-2005, 09:59 AM
I have not induced too much wheel spin yet since I am still in the breakin period. However, I did get some bad wheel hop once when launching from the stop on a wet road. The road surface was a bit uneven so I don't know if that was the reason.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyj
Are there any products/mods out there to fix this? Everyone else has this problem also?
Tell us about your car. what year, what options? Do you have an LSD? Both wheels hopping or just one? Any suspension mods? What tires?

I haven't really experienced any wheel hop so far, it's been solid.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Just have to learn to drive your car properly and maybe get some new tires.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:35 AM
New 05 6mt, 1000 miles. Happens at a stop, dropping the clutch at about 3grand. Seems to be both tires, have traction control off.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gting
Just have to learn to drive your car properly and maybe get some new tires.

no, wheel hop is a problem inherent to our car/suspension.

I have had it happen, and it gets pretty violent to say the least! kinetixracing has some rear suspension arms that they call traction bars.

I'm sure most of the wheel hop is cuased by the soft rubber suspension bushings. A switch to urethane bushings would help.

I have the stock LSD with the sport suspension. I wonder if wheel hop is only an issue in the LSD cars. The rest of the G family may not get this because they do the "1 wheel peel."

Old 08-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info Quad Cam

Old 08-17-2005, 02:03 PM
First off you shouldn't be dropping the clutch that is what I mean by learning to drive your car. To launch hard you need to feather the clutch a bit with some gas modulation. Not rev to 3k+ and drop it. This in conjunction with good tires and I have yet to get any wheel hop. I also drive a 2005 6spd.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Happens at a stop, dropping the clutch at about 3grand
There lies your problem. Clutch drops are never the answer. I don't know why the G/Z guys think this is the quickest way to get off the line.

1) Clutch drops induce spin or a bog
2) Clutch drops shock the drivetrain violently and send massive torque loads instantly to fragile drivetrain components
3) Clutch drops are hell on a clutch and flywheel
4) Wheelhop can easily destroy axles and differentials
5) If you get wheelhop, instantly remove throttle

The correct way to get off the line with strong acceleration is to feather the gas and clutch. When launching, you should have the clutch out just to the point where it wants to catch. Rev up to ~3000-3500rpms, release the clutch to the point where you feel the car moving and then start releasing it quicker and feed the gas. It should be a fairly quick motion. Your should only get a little bit of spin and no wheelhop.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe the VLSD helps a little, I have done some pretty aggressive launches but haven't experienced wheel hop yet.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:29 PM
I never said I wanted to get off the line quick, I simply wanted to roast the tires. Dropping the clutch is Fun. I dont drive like that all the time, but once and a while is fun.
PS I have been drag racing at Indianapolis Raceway Park, various cars and bikes for over 15 years. I also raced Formula V and Formula Ford for several years. So, I know how to drive a stick.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I never said I wanted to get off the line quick, I simply wanted to roast the tires. Dropping the clutch is Fun. I dont drive like that all the time, but once and a while is fun.
PS I have been drag racing at Indianapolis Raceway Park, various cars and bikes for over 15 years. I also raced Formula V and Formula Ford for several years. So, I know how to drive a stick.
If this is really the case and you're experienced as you say you are, then why are you asking these questions? If you want to be able to dump the clutch at high rpm and roast the tires, then you've got to face the music and realize that independant suspensions typically will hop quite a bit under high rpm launches due to the nature of their design. If you want a car that lights up the tires smoothly, then you should be looking at live axle cars like F-Bodies and Stangs. Axle tramp is pretty rare in those cars.

Adding urethane bushings won't help things and will only create a squeaky and harsh chassis.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Never dropped the clutch in the formula cars, the cars I have dragged at the track all have straight axle, old school muscle, the past 8 years I have been dragging bikes, so my experience with dropping the clutch in a wheel burn out situation has never been in a independent rear car.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Start dating a fat girlfriend and make her sit in the back seat

I put the Nismo Suspension and Sway bars on my car and with the sticky new tires I get zero wheel hop, when I drop the clutch my car just squats and smokes the rears...

Old 08-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
If you want to be able to dump the clutch at high rpm and roast the tires, then you've got to face the music and realize that independant suspensions typically will hop quite a bit under high rpm launches due to the nature of their design. If you want a car that lights up the tires smoothly, then you should be looking at live axle cars like F-Bodies and Stangs. Axle tramp is pretty rare in those cars.

Adding urethane bushings won't help things and will only create a squeaky and harsh chassis.

Not true. Wheel hop can be a problem in live-axles. Traction bars have been around for decades to fight wheel hop. It all depends on how the suspension is designed. I agree about the stiffer bushings. They will not cure any wheel hope and will sacrifice ride comfort.

Dropping the clutch is just a stupid fun thing. It's the same as drifting and abusing rentals. Someday I will probably grow up and be one of those people lecturing about how it's bad for the car and everything, but I hope it's not any time soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hop