Plastic panel and armorall.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 07:34 PM
ark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic panel and armorall.

Hi there,
I just bought a 2003 G35 sedan with 32k miles on it and I thought it be appropriate to join a forum so that I could benefit from some valuable info from other G35 owners as well as contribute some.

Having just bought the car, I was on a natural whim of cleaning the car every week and today I found out that the plastic panel above the clock that shows the climate control and compass indicator was cloudy. I must have gotten armorall or some other cleaning solution on it and it really looked as the panel was ruined. I got some glass cleaner (without ammonia) and tried cleaning it but it didnt work at all.

I did some research and found a scratch remover just for plastic surfaces such as plexiglas and acrylics. I'm sure a lot of you guys out there already know this but to me it was a momentous discovery online to find a scratch remover like Novus #1 and #2. #2 removes the scratches and the hazy cloudiness from the plastic surface and #1 shines and protects it.

All I can say is that I'm pretty relieved that the stuff worked and that I didnt have to go and have the plastic panel cover replaced.

Hope this helps some other folks out there who bungled up as I did.

Ark

Old 08-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Welcome, noob. I bought my 2003.5 G35 Sedan last saturday and have been trying to get as involved as I can here, so I am just as new as you.

Well, mine is all cloudy. The people working at the stealership must have messed mine up.

Where did you find this stuff? did you buy it online or locally? I plan on buying Novus or Janvil to clean mine up as well.

Please let me know! Thanks!

Old 08-21-2005, 07:56 PM
ark
Originally Posted by blacksheep
Welcome, noob. I bought my 2003.5 G35 Sedan last saturday and have been trying to get as involved as I can here, so I am just as new as you.

Well, mine is all cloudy. The people working at the stealership must have messed mine up.

Where did you find this stuff? did you buy it online or locally? I plan on buying Novus or Janvil to clean mine up as well.

Please let me know! Thanks!
Hi Blacksheep. I got the stuff at a place called DJHobby in Campbell, CA. I'm not sure where you are located but any shop that sells plexiglas should have it. There is a chain of stores called TapPlastics that carry it too here.
You can buy it online as well. I got the 2oz bottles since thats all I needed and they cost about 3 bucks each. Get the #1 and #2. There is a Novus #3 that is for heavy scratches and should not be needed at all.

Though at a glance what it does seems really impossible but the stuff actually works. Give it a try.

On a different note, i just noticed that you were looking for a G35 grill. Check this one on Craigslist in the SFBay. Maybe the guy will mail it to you if you are nonlocal.
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/pts/91960610.html

Last edited by ark; 08-21-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by ark
Hi Blacksheep. I got the stuff at a place called DJHobby in Campbell, CA. I'm not sure where you are located but any shop that sells plexiglas should have it. There is a chain of stores called TapPlastics that carry it too here.
You can buy it online as well. I got the 2oz bottles since thats all I needed and they cost about 3 bucks each. Get the #1 and #2. There is a Novus #3 that is for heavy scratches and should not be needed at all.

Though at a glance what it does seems really impossible but the stuff actually works. Give it a try.

On a different note, i just noticed that you were looking for a G35 grill. Check this one on Craigslist in the SFBay. Maybe the guy will mail it to you if you are nonlocal.
http://www.craigslist.org/eby/pts/91960610.html

Hi Ark -

THANKS!!!!! Wow - I would love to have that grille!

I emailed him asking if he will ship, if not could you help me, please? Is he local to you? I am in Iowa...middle of nowhere!

Old 08-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3M makes a similar product specifically for cleaning cloudy plastic like the clock/compass display and the headlights. I'm trying to hunt it down locally but may try buying it online somewhere, apparently it works wonders.

http://www.autogeek.net/3mplasclean.html

Old 08-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I constantly dust my dash... two areas I never touch with abrasives are clock/temp and gauge... Might sound cheesy, but "grab-it" cloths by "Johnson" used frequently will yield superb results.

If you have already scratched with abrasive cleaner, try "Plasix" - I have only used it on exterior plastic and vinyl overlays (on lenses) so I’m not sure how it will work on gauge cover.

Dealer scratched my HU cover and they replaced, you might want to try that.

Last edited by OCG35; 08-21-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:43 PM
ark
Just to let you guys know. I did use Novus and the panel is virtually transparent now.

Blacksheep, Let me know if you have any luck getting that grille.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by ark
Just to let you guys know. I did use Novus and the panel is virtually transparent now.

Blacksheep, Let me know if you have any luck getting that grille.
Ark - I am sending you a private message on the board. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Overhead Plastic Sunglasses Holder - Scratched

I've accidentally scratched the plastic on the overhead plastic sunglasses holder and I was wondering if Novus or any of the other plastic cleaners would work in concealing the scratch.

Would I be able to use some fine sandpaper on the plastic to smooth out the scratch?

Old 08-22-2005, 11:43 PM
ark
Originally Posted by blacksheep
Ark - I am sending you a private message on the board. Thanks!
Hi Blacksheep,
Somehow I did not get the pm. You can always mail me at ahmerkhan_98@yahoo.com

disenador, I've never tried on non-clear plastic so I do not know what the outcome would be if you tried this solution on it.
I would not use sandpaper on the plastic since it might do more damage than good.
I hope that somone has more suggestions for you than I do. Good Luck.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by disenador
I've accidentally scratched the plastic on the overhead plastic sunglasses holder and I was wondering if Novus or any of the other plastic cleaners would work in concealing the scratch.

Would I be able to use some fine sandpaper on the plastic to smooth out the scratch?
I really doubt you can fix that one, the way that surface is textured, I think any attempt would make it worse there.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what would you guys use on headlights? mine are a complete mess, little nicks and cloudyness, everything...i'm a little disgusted quite frankly

Old 08-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by bert039
what would you guys use on headlights? mine are a complete mess, little nicks and cloudyness, everything...i'm a little disgusted quite frankly
This works great: 3M Plastic Polish & Cleaner And, this is a problem with every car that has the plastic headlights, nothing limited to Infiniti!