Old 08-29-2005 | 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
Woops you bought a knock-off????
No, woops to my spelling.

Old 08-29-2005 | 03:54 PM
|
Wink Custom TomTom startup screen

To replace the startup TomTom screen image with your custom image -

Connect the TomTom Nav to your PC using the provided USB cable, you will see the device show up as a folder on your PC.

Make a backup copy (on to your hard drive) of the file called "splash.bmp" which is in the root folder.

Replace the image with your custom image. Remember that it should be same size as the original.

Unplug the device and you are all set

P.S - REMEMBER TO MAKE BACKUP COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FILES BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES.

Old 08-29-2005 | 04:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
G35dreamcar...
How do you find the functionality of the TomTom compaired to the others you've tried?
Since installing my AVIC-D1 nav, My wife now wants a nav.

I was finding it tough to get a good comparison with the others.

Old 08-29-2005 | 04:20 PM
|
Wink Best portable NAV

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
G35dreamcar...
How do you find the functionality of the TomTom compaired to the others you've tried?
Since installing my AVIC-D1 nav, My wife now wants a nav.

I was finding it tough to get a good comparison with the others.
I have done lot of research and found that TomTom is the best portable navigation device available in the market as of now.

I had first used it on my trip to UK few months back. It was very precise with routing and directions. Since then I have been waiting for the TomTom GO 700, which was launched in the US last month. TomTom GO 700 has in-built bluetooth hands free phone and real time traffice routing.

Just recently I have written a brief review of the TomTom device based on my experience, I am posting it here again for your convinence.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

My review of the TomTom GO 700 -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know this might not be the right forum for this but I am posting it here as I know there are lot of sedan owners trying to get Bluetootha and Nav in their cars. So, i thought this might find more useful audience here - Please don't flame me

Ok, here is my review -

I just got a TT GO 700 last week and love it so far. Here is my review based on my experiences so far.

1) Bluetooth Phone feature -
I love the bluetooth phone feature, My phone Motorola v330 was not listed in the supported list but I was successfull able to connect and use it. Based on my experience, I don't think the phone compatibility list is always up to date, just try your phone and see if it works with the device.

Making calls and recieving calls is very convenient though the GPS screen, sound quality is excellent for hearing the other party through the GPS speaker. Talking though the GPS microphone ranges from good to excellent. I had few freinds who could not believe i was talking thorough a Handsfree GPS device, while sometimes my friends complained the voice was very hollow. You have to give the benefit of doubt to the TomTom device as there are lot of variables involved in making a phone call though bluetooth like Phone Signal quality, road noise, etc... Overall i am very impressed with the phone capabilities, although I have some gripes which i will list below.

2) Mapping and routing - I have not tried it on a long trip yet, mostly I have driven locally where I know all the routes. Routing in general is very good and accurate. Although I found few new addresses that were not listed. I drove to one of my friends place who lives in the far west suburbs of chicago and his community streets were totally absent / missing in the TomTom maps. So, once I got to his house, I bookmarked the Map position on to my favourites, so that I can get to his house. Since there are no street level data for his community, all I could do was use the map point as guide to get me to his house.
Even for my house which is about 3-4 yrs old, the street names are slightly mixed in the subdivision and moreover I cannot get my address by typing / searching for the location in the GPS.
Rest of the regular routes are very accurate and detailed.

3) POI - I was surprised that I could find some local stores which I did not expect to find on the device. Haven't used the feature extensively but seems fairly OK. Although I would like to know how to update the POI?

4) Voice / Sound quality - Voice and sound quality is excellent. Instructions are read out loud and clear. I have read that there are darth vader and yoda voices available, love to get them installed on my device.

5) Visibility / Brightness - I have my brightness set to full and it looks very sharp and bright. I haven't seen any major issues during mid afternoon sunlight so far.

Complaints and like to have features -
First the complaints -

1) I am not able to see my "Phone book" numbers from my cellphone on the TomTom GO 700 device. I have the option to "Get numbers from phone" when clicked tries to retrive numbers from phone and after couple of minutes says retrieved numbers successfully, but my "Phone book" icon is always disabled on my TTGO 700.
My phone is the Motorola V330 with T-Mobile service.

2) Not sure if the TomTom Plus service is available in USA yet? No proper documentation available on the website and Manual.

3) The POI search capability could be improved, in the current version you are forced to select a category for searching the POI, this makes it hard if you are not sure what category the POI you are looking for is listed in. It would be great if you could just type the name of the POI and find it. As an example "Walgreens" is a "Store" which could also be a "Pharmacy". So, to search for Walgreens you have to know if it is in the "Store" or the "Pharmacy" category. This might not be the best example, but I hope you get the idea.

Like to have features -
1) I would love to have voice recognition / voice dial through the GPS device. I don't think it is a big ask, as the device already has a microphone through which you answer your calls. Most phones already have voice recognition capability, so it should not be hard to just pass my voice command to the cell phone.

2) Extending the above mentioned feature, it would be great if we can use voice commands to enter our address. That would make it truly hands free and very safe to operate.

3) Frequent updates to MAPS & POI through the internet?? Not sure if it is available or how to get updates?

These are my complaints so far, will keep updating as I use the device.

Cool features -

1) Hands free calling through GPS, I was really amazed this morning when I had the TTGO 700 in my living room and the bluetooth phone in my bedroom which is one floor above and the opposite end of my living room, the device could connect to the phone.

2) Ability to search for POI's and make calls to them through the GPS is really helpfull.

3) Linux based OS - ability to customize.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Thumbnails Any TomTom users?-tomtom.jpg  
Old 08-29-2005 | 04:39 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Thanks for the info..
Not sure how I missed your earlier review

Old 08-31-2005 | 03:25 PM
|
Thanks for the info..
Not sure how I missed your earlier review
inTgr8r,

Based on my instructions (posted above),
did you try changing your splash / startup screen?

I am unable to get my phone book show up on the TT GO 700. Although I am able to see most recent dialed and recieved calls. I am also able to make calls and recieve. I am also able to call POI's.

Is anyone else using TT GO 700 with Bluetooth phone? Can you please post your expereinces?

Old 08-31-2005 | 03:29 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
I don't have a Tom Tom yet.
I'm looking at a Tom Tom for my wifes car.

I have the AVIC-D1 in my G.

Old 09-01-2005 | 08:27 AM
|
Looks cool

I don't have a Tom Tom yet.
I'm looking at a Tom Tom for my wifes car.

I have the AVIC-D1 in my G.
What is AVIC-D1? Is it a carputer?
Did you do a custom install?
Your shifter **** looks great (I know this sounds gay )
How did you replace the ****, is it simple enough? Where did you get yours and how much?

Old 09-01-2005 | 09:01 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by g35dreamcar
What is AVIC-D1? Is it a carputer?
No, it's a nav & audio HU
Did you do a custom install?
Yes.. did the install myself
Your shifter **** looks great (I know this sounds gay )
How did you replace the ****, is it simple enough? Where did you get yours and how much?
Shift **** is Momo, available from several sources.(about $100)
Install is < 15min

Old 09-02-2005 | 02:13 PM
|
Have voices

I have Arnold, Clint Eastwood, Darth Vader, Yoda and other voices for TomTom. If anyone needs it let me know.

Old 09-02-2005 | 03:17 PM
Voices

How difficult is it to install the voices?

I would like the Arnold voice, does anyone have the James Bond voice???

THANX

Old 09-02-2005 | 03:57 PM
I'm looking for a sexy, Australian accent...