G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Any TomTom users?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005 | 10:28 AM
|
Red face Any TomTom users?

I am posting this here because I know Sedan & Coupe are the most visited forums.

Is there anyone else using TomTom. I am adding new POI's for the system and hoping that I could share with other users.

TomTom users lets unite and form a group, it would benefit all of us.

Old 08-27-2005 | 07:44 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
ok, since no one else has the guts to ask.. what the heck is a TomTom?

Old 08-27-2005 | 08:33 PM
A TomTom is a portable GPS unit, and one of the very best at that. I own one, and couldn't justify the Infinity Nav because of it. It has a much better screen, touch screen controls, etc. I have owned Garmin and Magellan, and the TomTom is simply the best nav short of the Acura/Honda. No offense to Infinity nav owners, but that system is very clumsy and has a much worse screen than it should have for 2k. The sales people at my Infinity dealer were blown away by the TomTom....

That being said, dreamcar, I really don't understand the benefits of sharing POI. You're in Vegas and I'm on the Chesapeake Bay. How would we benefit?

Last edited by DP03; 08-27-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2005 | 08:36 PM
TomTom sounds gay

Old 08-27-2005 | 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Hyde
TomTom sounds gay
lol....don't disagree at all. But it really is a great unit.

For those that want more info:

www.tomtomgo.com

Old 08-27-2005 | 10:28 PM
Ryo
Damn, you took my line...

Imagine saying this to your friend, "You wanna check out my
TomTom?"

Originally Posted by Hyde
TomTom sounds gay

Old 08-27-2005 | 10:45 PM
Yea, but not quite as awkard as saying, "you'll have to wiggle my joystick to put in the address".

By the time the Infinity salesman had the city entered on an address he was demo'ing, I had the entire address in, the map on the screen, and the sexy woman's voice telling us the next turn. He couldn't beleive it, and said, "I guess you don't need the navigation option!"

The Infinity system needs some serious work, as do many other car makers. My Volvo's was no better. Honda/Acura, on the other hand, have nailed it down.

Old 08-27-2005 | 10:52 PM
G-Squad DJ =)
anyone got pics of this installed in the G? coupe or sedan...i have a coupe so id obviously rather see it in a coupe but in the sedan would be cool too!

thanks in advance

Old 08-27-2005 | 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by DJNOOCH
anyone got pics of this installed in the G? coupe or sedan...i have a coupe so id obviously rather see it in a coupe but in the sedan would be cool too!

thanks in advance
I'd be glad to take a couple of pics tomorrow. But it's not really "installed". It is a portable unit that can either sit on the dash or be mounted like a radar detector on the windshield.

Old 08-29-2005 | 10:43 AM
|
Portable NAV

It is a portable NAV, so it is not fixed in a car.

Here is a pic of the device attached to the windshield mount.

Attached Thumbnails Any TomTom users?-tomtom.jpg  
Old 08-29-2005 | 10:50 AM
|
Wink TomTom the best portable GPS available

Originally Posted by DP03
A TomTom is a portable GPS unit, and one of the very best at that. I own one, and couldn't justify the Infinity Nav because of it. It has a much better screen, touch screen controls, etc. I have owned Garmin and Magellan, and the TomTom is simply the best nav short of the Acura/Honda. No offense to Infinity nav owners, but that system is very clumsy and has a much worse screen than it should have for 2k. The sales people at my Infinity dealer were blown away by the TomTom....

That being said, dreamcar, I really don't understand the benefits of sharing POI. You're in Vegas and I'm on the Chesapeake Bay. How would we benefit?
DP03,

I live in Chicago suburbs. The advantage with sharing new / updated POI's is when you visit Chicago, you will be having updated information.

Other than sharing POI's there are lot of stuff we can do by forming a community of TomTom users.

For people who don't know about the device -

It is a linux OS based portable GPS navigation system which is very good, pwerfull and customizable. It has 3D maps with touch screen and integrated bluetooh hands free device.
It also has real-time traffice and weather to re-route in case of emergencies.

DP03,
I have changed the startup screen with my own custom images,
Do, you know that you can Yoda and Darth vader voices for your Nav directions.
Infact you can record your own voice prompts in your own language with funny comments. It is really cool and amazes your friends.

I have some tutorials on how to customize the device. I will post them soon.

Old 08-29-2005 | 11:29 AM
Yea, I'd like to know about that. I've used mine a lot, but have not fooled with any customizations........

Old 08-29-2005 | 02:41 PM
Sedan

Take a look at the back of your G35x. Do you see any "Y" any where there? I hope not. If so you bought a knockoff G.

Old 08-29-2005 | 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
Take a look at the back of your G35x. Do you see any "Y" any where there? I hope not. If so you bought a knockoff G.
Woops

Old 08-29-2005 | 03:02 PM
Sedan
Woops
Woops you bought a knock-off????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any TomTom users?