G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

How did nissan/Infiniti restrict Sedans to 260 hp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
This is my reality so I will believe it

You'll never find me in Cali. You guys are crazy over there living on the sides of mudslide prone mountains, living a smog-choked valley, etc,....yet decide to sue the fast food industry because french fries might be bad for you It's a strange world over there j/k

As for a "whipping", post up your times.
Haha, yes, I live on a mudslide hill and breath in smog. Very close minded arean't you (oh yeah the 03 is the fastest G35 EVER). I suppose you wouldn't go to southern states because they get hurricanes once in awihle I don't eat fast food by the way and I've not sued anyone in my life, to many ignorant statements in 1 sentence, I had to answer back.

I've not been to the track with the G yet, but I have a good idea of what she can do, and if you were in Cali and going to the track, I'd go out of my way to make it there just so show you up. When I have more time and not so busy with school/work/life I will get there, probably during winter break.

1) That could be true. My 03 only has 28K miles though and only had 24K when I raced it.
2) Z-pipe only
3) Only been to the track once. Made four passes (14.6,14.4, and two 14.5s).

My argument is not including 6MTs. In a good driver's hands, the 6MT, regardless of year, should own me by a solid .2-.3 seconds and 2mph. With that said, "good" drivers of these cars are few and far few between. Most 6MT drivers on this site are stuck in the 14.6+ range and many believing that dropping the clutch is the way to launch hard
I am a terrible driver , and you know what, I would still romp on you at the track. I don't need 150 1/4 mile passes, I just need 1 time. Sorry just getting tired of your undying support for the 03 engine as if its gold, you've beaten this to death saying how the 03 engine is under rated, do you think it really matters that much? If you love your engine so much, good for you, get over it.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#1 - 03 vs 04 and 05 - It was the lightest of the bunch but also dynoed the least.

#2 - DaveB you have yet to dyno your car. Dynos prove the 03s do not dyno as much as 03.5-04s. Track times can change from weight to weather conditions. So this is not a very accurate way to tell if the car has the same power as the other years.

First off, I think DaveO offers a great service to this site and his research is much appreciated by yours truely. He's one of the few on this site that's others insightful posts and research.

Back on topic, if the 03 sedans were "handicapped", why is it they post some of the best track times and magazine times? It is very likely that Nissan did change ECM programming and such as the years progressed, but the data sure doesn't suggest that those changes were necessarily for the better when it comes to power.

Again, Motor Trend (whom corrects times for conditions to reduce bias) has tested a handful of G35 sedan 5ATs over the years. They've tested two 03s that got a 14.6@96mph and one that got a 14.6@97mph. They tested an 04 and got a 14.7@94mph and recently the 05 which got a 14.7@96mph. By looking at that data, I'd have to say the 03 might be the quicker car, especially when looking at trapspeed. I'm pretty certain my nearly stock 03 5AT could have gone low 14.3s at almost 99mph if I was running in 50 degree weather vs 70 degree weather and this is at a track 1100' above sea level. If I would have corrected my times like Motor Trend does for all their cars, my G would have run a 14.2@99mph according to them. I don't think my 03 is down on much power. Do you?

Old 08-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Premier Member

I agree Nick about Dave and the 03 engine. It's because he owns it, and its the best. IMHO, my 04 was faster to 60, than my 05 is. I owned both years and both 6mts. But after 60, its all over for the older G35s period. This one pulls extremly hard above that.

But dynos and research in the past have proven the 03s are the weakest of the G35s ever made. You can't deny that.

Originally Posted by Nickk6
Haha, yes, I live on a mudslide hill and breath in smog. Very close minded arean't you (oh yeah the 03 is the fastest G35 EVER). I suppose you wouldn't go to southern states because they get hurricanes once in awihle I don't eat fast food by the way and I've not sued anyone in my life, to many ignorant statements in 1 sentence, I had to answer back.

I've not been to the track with the G yet, but I have a good idea of what she can do, and if you were in Cali and going to the track, I'd go out of my way to make it there just so show you up. When I have more time and not so busy with school/work/life I will get there, probably during winter break.

I am a terrible driver , and you know what, I would still romp on you at the track. I don't need 150 1/4 mile passes, I just need 1 time. Sorry just getting tired of your undying support for the 03 engine as if its gold, you've beaten this to death saying how the 03 engine is under rated, do you think it really matters that much? If you love your engine so much, good for you, get over it.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
It's called sarcasm hence the reason I put "j/k" at the end

I've not been to the track with the G yet, but I have a good idea of what she can do, and if you were in Cali and going to the track, I'd go out of my way to make it there just so show you up.

........I would still romp on you at the track. I don't need 150 1/4 mile passes, I just need 1 time.
Well if you were in Kansas City I'd help you achieve the best performance you can out of your 05. I really don't understand the attitude or the trash talk on your part.

Sorry just getting tired of your undying support for the 03 engine as if its gold, you've beaten this to death saying how the 03 engine is under rated, do you think it really matters that much? If you love your engine so much, good for you, get over it.
Sorry, I'm just trying to get guys to have a more open mind on this site. Way too much information on this site has gone unchecked, taken as Bible, and gone unquestioned. I'm in no way way saying the 03 is the best. I'm just trying to show that's it's not the dog everyone thinks it is. I've even given factual data, references, and my own personal experiences to support my claims which more than I can say for most of the information on this site.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Premier Member

Sad to say Dave but there are many many others that have posted much better information than you have in the past. We don't need to bad mouth the site or the users here. Everyone gives their share of input. Some might be way off and some might be right on.

DaveO gives the best info and most technical knowledge this website has to offer. I will have to say he is probably one of the top ones on the list for that and he has been here from the beginning.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
#2 - DaveB you have yet to dyno your car. Dynos prove the 03s do not dyno as much as 03.5-04s. Track times can change from weight to weather conditions. So this is not a very accurate way to tell if the car has the same power as the other years.
I'll probably never dyno my car. I don't see much point plus the track gives me the information I need. My friend, same one that ran a 14.7@96mph, dynoed his stock 03 5AT and saw ~218whp/212wtq. This is the same dyno you ran on with your 5th gen Maxima.

My only weight reduction mod was no spare tire.

I know that ambient weather conditions have a huge impact on track times hence the reason I calculate the density altitude (DA) for all the days I've run at the track. Here in Kansas City we see huge shifts in weather and it greatly influences the car at the track. I've seen differences as high as .4 seconds and 3.5mph because of weather. This is with no changes to the car at all. The only time I've run my G, the conditions weren't horrible, but they weren't optimal. The calculated DA was in the neighborhood of 1700-1800' above sea level. Now if my G's VQ performs anything like my Maxima's VQ did in cooler air, it may shed .15 and gain 1.5mph in trap speed. We'll see when November comes around and I can run in dry 50 degree weather.

IMHO, my 04 was faster to 60, than my 05 is. I owned both years and both 6mts. But after 60, its all over for the older G35s period. This one pulls extremly hard above that.
I think you'd be severely disappointed if you actually applied Cartest to a 04 6MT vs the 05 6MT in a race from 0-120mph. Look at the dynos between both cars and you'll see that the only place the 05 high-rev motor holds an advantage is in the last 800rpms and the average gains across that area is a mere 10whp or so. Then look at the power that traded in the low/midrange. You know as well as I that midrange power is where most of your acceleration is generated. How long do you really spend accelerating from 6200-7000rpms in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? That 10whp advantage won't play out till 110-120mph or so. Now if the 05 high-rev motor made an additional 15whp across the whole rpm range, it would be a significantly faster car. Most of the reason Nissan kicked up the power on the 05 6MT is because HP sells cars. 99% of the people don't understand that area under the curve is what wins races not peak HP.

Last edited by DaveB; 08-29-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by IP05G35
If the early 03 Sedans don't have an electric fan, then that is an easy 8-10hp modification you can do.
Easy.... hahahaha, only if you've got DaveO to figure out the wiring and custom fab your mounting brackets.

... thanks DaveO!!! - T

Old 08-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Sad to say Dave but there are many many others that have posted much better information than you have in the past. We don't need to bad mouth the site or the users here. Everyone gives their share of input. Some might be way off and some might be right on.
I'm sure others have posted better information and I'm not bad mouthing anyone. Everyone is free to share their input, but when it comes to certain things, there needs to be some reality checks. Some egos will get hurt, but the last thing we need is people spouting stuff out like it's gospel without any factual base. Hell, that's how wars have started

Old 08-29-2005, 01:45 PM
My experiences and opinions.

#1 - 03 vs 04 and 05 - It was the lightest of the bunch but also dynoed the least.
True!

IMO, early pre-production 2003 G35 AT Sedans tested by magazines were "ringers". Not an uncommon practice! That said, there are exceptional production engines out there. I've seen one at most every dyno day I've attended. We've published two articles --G35 Dyno Marathon (Winter 2005) & Desert Day Desert Day Dynoing (Summer 2005) that help support this observation.

Unlike many who profess that G35 mods don't work, my personal experience with my 03 doggie door AT Sedan indicate the right ones do... at least according to the dyno, G-Tech, street encounters, and dyno-butt evaluations. Stock my 03 doggie door AT Sedan made 208hp/206ft-lbs torque at the rear wheels (260 x .20 = 208) which is in line with the generally accepted 20% AT drive train loss. After modifications, the car has dynoed 262 HP and 261 lb-ft torque on a Dynopack (unfortunately pinging above 5k).
Here are the results.

91 Octane Designer Gas
Dynopack - SAE Corrected
HP / Tqe - RPM
184 / 258 - 3600
197 / 259 - 4000
223 / 261 - 4500
237 / 249 - 5000
256 / 245 - 5500 **
262 / 229 - 6000 **
247 / 200 - 6500 **
* No readings due to TCM program limitations.
** Pinging
Maximum Power/Torque
262.0 @ 6171
260.8 @ 4395

I invite you to compare the above torque numbers with other N/A cars. Since this dyno I've made three additional mods. The car seems dyno-butt faster from 5k to 7k. Time and testing will tell.

Disclaimer: The above reflects my personal opinions.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:46 PM
raises all-in
I can't believe you're all arguing about this again.

Bottom line:

The 05 engine dynos higher than the previous year models.

The 05 cars are not that much faster if at all due to the increased weight.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:45 PM
DaveO-

Nice numbers!!!!

Originally Posted by dirrtybear
The 05 cars are not that much faster if at all due to the increased weight.
That brings up another question. How did the 05 gain all this weight? All I hear is speculation about how the car gained so much weight. According to Motor Trend, my DMV registration, and NADA, the curb weight of the 03 G35 sedan 5AT is ~3,370lbs. According to MT and Infiniti, the weight of the 05 G35 sedan 5AT is ~3,520lbs. How in the world does a car gain 150lbs in weight with no body changes or significant chassis changes? As defined by DOT, curb weight is "weight of a ground vehicle including fuel, lubricants, coolant, and on-vehicle materiel, excluding cargo and operating personnel."

From what I can see, the weight gaining parts on the 05 include:

1) Fractionally larger brakes. You're talking maybe 10lbs total from all four corners. Rotors are pretty dang heavy (~20-25lbs).
2) Optional 18 wheel/tires. I would have thought this would have been the most significant weight increasing item though Russ says the 18" combo weighs no more than his 04s 17" combo. On average, 18" tires weigh about 3lbs more than 17" tires of the same diameter.
3) Telescoping steering wheel. Maybe 10lbs.
4) Painted lower sills? 8 ounces

Seriously, what else is there? Some people like to think that the bumpers were somehow reinforced and that accounts for the weight, but if you've ever seen under the bumper cover of a later model car, you'd see that the bumpers themselves are often alumnium and foam. Off the car, they weigh 10-20lbs including the bumper to chassis frame. On the G, the bumpers are alumnium.

Could it be additional sound deadening material like many seem to think? If this was truely the case that the 05 had an additional 100lbs worth of sound deadening, why aren't 05 owners talking about how quiet the car is compared to the older models? BTW, an additional 100lbs of sound deadening is a crap load and I doubt you could cram it into the existing G35 interior panels and carpeting.

I think the 03/04 3,370lb curb weight was for the Base model G35 which didn't have any weight gaining options like 17" rims, moonroof, dual power seats, reclining rear seats, HIDs, and subwoofer. Those options right there are worth about 80-100lbs and would kick most 03/04s into the mid to high 3,400lb range. As far as I know, there is no more real "Base" model G35 for 05. Maybe Infiniti choose to select the curb weight of fairly optioned 05 as it's reference this go around?

Old 08-29-2005, 02:46 PM
IQ9
Man DaveO your 03 dyno'd worse than my 03.5. We got 213/216 at the StrictlyZ/ SportZ Mag Exhaust shoot out. I have been told that someone got you the resutls so I hope they have been factored into all the stats you have.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:48 PM
It's called sarcasm hence the reason I put "j/k" at the end

Well if you were in Kansas City I'd help you achieve the best performance you can out of your 05. I really don't understand the attitude or the trash talk on your part.

Sorry, I'm just trying to get guys to have a more open mind on this site. Way too much information on this site has gone unchecked, taken as Bible, and gone unquestioned. I'm in no way way saying the 03 is the best. I'm just trying to show that's it's not the dog everyone thinks it is. I've even given factual data, references, and my own personal experiences to support my claims which more than I can say for most of the information on this site.
I am not trying to be a trash talker, I hate being the punk kid who talks trash, but enough is enough. The 03 is not slow, but you are out to make it the best. If I bought a used 03 I am sure I would love it too, but I wouldn't go around saying it is under rated and the fastest G out there. I bought a 6MT to get the best performance out of this car, because as an undeniable fact, a stock 6MT can be driven faster in a 1/4 than a stock 5AT.

So if your G35 does indeed posess 280hp, then WOW, WOOOOOW, you know bro, putting all **** talking aside, I am damn impressed that your car has 280hp, I hope you sleep well tonight. The 03 is still not the fastest as someone already ran a 14.0 in a 05 6mt on 6mt.net.

So good day Mr. Super Fastest 280HP Ultimate 03 G35 Driver Dave Who Can't Let it Go That Infiniti Rated His Engine at 260HP.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm in no way way saying the 03 is the best.

it would appear the 03s could be potentially the strongest verisons.

those are your words, not mine

Old 08-29-2005, 02:55 PM
The 03 is still not the fastest as someone already ran a 14.0 in a 05 6mt on 6mt.net.
People have already gone 13.9s in their stock 03/04 6MT sedans. What's your point?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How did nissan/Infiniti restrict Sedans to 260 hp?