G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Went to oil change today and got some trade-in numbers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 02:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Went to oil change today and got some trade-in numbers...

Hello all...

I've been thinking about trading in my 05 g35x for the rwd g35 m/t 4 doors for a while now. Obviously, it's the money factor. Anyway, today I brought my car in for oil change so what the heck let me just have a chat with the sales guy anyway. I also went for a test drive on a m/t. They don't have any more m/t sedan nor new m/t coupe's in stock so they just let me drive one of those used 03 m/t coupes that have on the lot. My impression on the 03 m/t coupe was...

First thing was the interior was quite cramp and the back was oh forget about it. The trunk...oh let's not even go there. As far as the drive goes, there are definitely alot of grip on the road and the exhaust sounds very nice especially when you rev it. I knew the m/t wouldn't be honda smooth and I've driven 350z before and this is pretty similar to the 350z. Clutch disengagement needs some used to. Unlike honda's, you learn the clutch releases in a few minutes. Anyway, I just wanted to get a feel with the g35's m/t.

So I started to talk to the sales guy about what #'s I would expect for a trade in and here's what I got from him...

My Car:
2005 g35x, 6,000 miles (trade in value 26,000)
I bought the car for around 31.5k before tax. After tax was around a little over 34.2k

Lease:
05 m/t 4 door g35 with moonroof
39 months, 12k miles, $436 a month and $2,565 out of pocket

Just curious what you guys think of that? I really have doubts of a trade in, seems like I am losing too much for the same car but swapping a transmission.

Last edited by mikeee2; 09-18-2005 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Lease

Dunno if this helps, but my 04 X lease is for 39 months, 12k miles and $0 of of pocket and I am only paying $500 a month. The lease number you got sounds a little high, but I am not the best number cruncher. My 2 cents.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by gd1147
Dunno if this helps, but my 04 X lease is for 39 months, 12k miles and $0 of of pocket and I am only paying $500 a month. The lease number you got sounds a little high, but I am not the best number cruncher. My 2 cents.
Yeah sounds a bit high...that's why they are stealers (not dealers)

At this current rate, I rather drive the car for a few more years and then decide afterward...

Old 09-19-2005, 04:48 AM

is straight out of the galves book, so that is "fair"

Old 09-19-2005, 04:49 AM
Interesting that galves give no $$$ for the premium package. Only things that add $$$ are nav and awd(x package).

Old 09-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Argetni
Interesting that galves give no $$$ for the premium package. Only things that add $$$ are nav and awd(x package).
I don't have premium. My only add on is moonroof and trunk mat.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:30 PM
I've been around a lot of boards, but it seems for some reason there are more discussions of trading in 1 year old or less cars here than anywhere else I have seen. For whatever reason. Who knows.

Anyway, you're going to lose an arm and a leg - basically the difference between what you paid and the trade-in value. Even if they spread the payments out to make them lower, and it's a lease instead of a purchase, you're stil losing that money one way or another. That's $8000 you're pissing away. Don't get fooled by the finance numbers - those guy's job is to make it look "reasonable". You're losing that money. Period.

What would you do with $8000 cash in your pocket right now? Would you walk down to the dealership and hand it over for a 6 MT? Same thing.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by trebien
I've been around a lot of boards, but it seems for some reason there are more discussions of trading in 1 year old or less cars here than anywhere else I have seen. For whatever reason. Who knows.
People who are very financially comfortable, people whose parents are very financially comfortable and don't know how to tell junior no, or people with very little financial common sense.

It has to be one of the three. hehe..

Old 09-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by trebien

Anyway, you're going to lose an arm and a leg - basically the difference between what you paid and the trade-in value. Even if they spread the payments out to make them lower, and it's a lease instead of a purchase, you're stil losing that money one way or another. That's $8000 you're pissing away. Don't get fooled by the finance numbers - those guy's job is to make it look "reasonable". You're losing that money. Period.

What would you do with $8000 cash in your pocket right now? Would you walk down to the dealership and hand it over for a 6 MT? Same thing.
I pretty much figured that I won't be trading it in because of the depreciation that I'll get slammed with. Since I was there for an oil change already, just figured to asked them and get some reality numbers.

I guess it's not 8,000 thrown away. Give or take I spent 8,000 for driving my car for 9 months. You factor in that people pay around 500 a month to lease. So let's say I leased it for 9 months ($4,500), in reality I am throwing away $3,500 out from my pocket? Or I am not doing the math right?

As to why I thought about the trade in? When I purchased my 05x, I had two requirements (m/t, awd). I live in northeast and awd is important to me. After months of debating I went with the 05x even though it didn't have m/t. My other option was Tsx m/t but it's not awd and the other one was 325xi but then I didn't want to get an outdated model.

People are never satisfied you know .I am sure if I've gotten the Tsx (awesome m/t), I would complain about the power and it's fwd. It's a never ending story.

The Infiniti sales guy already left me a voicemail asking if I've made a decision. They are so quick in making money off of you. When I call in for service they'll always put me on hold. Go figure.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
People who are very financially comfortable, people whose parents are very financially comfortable and don't know how to tell junior no, or people with very little financial common sense.

It has to be one of the three. hehe..
I fall under "people with very little financial common sense"

Definitely not the first two categories. I am just an average married joe smoe getting by every pay check with a little to spare into my piggie bank.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Lip
Lease:
Your 2005 X is slower and not as fun to drive, when compared to the 6 M/T, no question. However, it's a good car, and honestly not so different that you would shell out $8 grand for what is in essence, the same exact car.
I would wait this one out for at least another year- Ideally, 3-years.

Next year at this time, we could very well be looking at the next generation G35.
That should be an impressive car. If you were going to make this type of move, do it then.
In addition, the Lexus may be available at that time with a 6-speed manual.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lip...sound Advice.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want increased performance, why not dump some money into an FI kit and have horsepower AND all wheel traction, like Subaru does. You would still "save" money.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lip
Your 2005 X is slower and not as fun to drive, when compared to the 6 M/T, no question. However, it's a good car, and honestly not so different that you would shell out $8 grand for what is in essence, the same exact car.
I would wait this one out for at least another year- Ideally, 3-years.

Next year at this time, we could very well be looking at the next generation G35.
That should be an impressive car. If you were going to make this type of move, do it then.
In addition, the Lexus may be available at that time with a 6-speed manual.
Next G35 (GTR), isn't that like 70K ?No way in hell can I afford that. Totally agreed the X is slower as not as fun to drive. Yeah it's definitely a good car, no doubt about it.

Originally Posted by Gilley
If you want increased performance, why not dump some money into an FI kit and have horsepower AND all wheel traction, like Subaru does. You would still "save" money.
Gilley, I am not a performance freak, at least not that I know of .I am just craving for M/T. I would even give up 50 ponies for the stick.

Last edited by mikeee2; 09-19-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:11 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Hello all...

I've been thinking about trading in my 05 g35x for the rwd g35 m/t 4 doors for a while now. Obviously, it's the money factor. Anyway, today I brought my car in for oil change so what the heck let me just have a chat with the sales guy anyway. I also went for a test drive on a m/t. They don't have any more m/t sedan nor new m/t coupe's in stock so they just let me drive one of those used 03 m/t coupes that have on the lot. My impression on the 03 m/t coupe was...

First thing was the interior was quite cramp and the back was oh forget about it. The trunk...oh let's not even go there. As far as the drive goes, there are definitely alot of grip on the road and the exhaust sounds very nice especially when you rev it. I knew the m/t wouldn't be honda smooth and I've driven 350z before and this is pretty similar to the 350z. Clutch disengagement needs some used to. Unlike honda's, you learn the clutch releases in a few minutes. Anyway, I just wanted to get a feel with the g35's m/t.

So I started to talk to the sales guy about what #'s I would expect for a trade in and here's what I got from him...

My Car:
I bought the car for around 31.5k before tax. After tax was around a little over 34.2k

Lease:

Just curious what you guys think of that? I really have doubts of a trade in, seems like I am losing too much for the same car but swapping a transmission.
Rob, In a few weeks/months, you'll be into the winter months where the X will shine big time...... I'd keep what you have, ...
My .02
C.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Went to oil change today and got some trade-in numbers...