G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

simple question, hoping for a simple answer, about the g35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
simple question, hoping for a simple answer, about the g35x

All in all, for those who have this experience.....

would you say that the g35x handles/performs as well if not better than the g35 rwd ???

Old 09-26-2005, 08:19 AM
It will not out accelerate the RWD version. It will do better in wet/snowy roads. AWD is good to get going, once you hit 25 mph you are in rear wheel drive mode anyway, unless conditions dictate othewise. I have the x and I was debating to get the RWD sport package and a set of snows. It has been about 20 years since I had RWD in the winter. The X has a snow mode that splits the power 50/50 (front/rear) and reduces throttle response.

Do not expect the X to be a great snow performer with the crappy stock tires. Sure it does well with all seasons but the EL42 are marginal. it would do much better with another set of tires. I also have a 4 runner with 4wd. It is much better than the G. I know it is in a different vehicle category, but do not think the AWD system with stock tires will be close to 4wd...

Old 09-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
The X is about .2-.3 seconds slower than the RWD G. Also, the X is carrying around an additional 250lbs of weight that is mostly focused on the front half of the car which will hurt it's overall weight balance and ultimate handling numbers. The X sits about .5" higher which can lend to a bit more body roll. In dry conditions, the RWD G should outperform the X in any performance contest. In poor weather conditions, the X will be much better.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:05 PM
I have alot of track time behind my belt in my other car so Im very picky as far as handling goes. I have to say that the X is a very well balanced car......even on the stock rubber which I will replace after winter. It tends to oversteer more that understeer unlike my 91 Eclipse GSX which was a blast to drive anyways. You can feel the extra weight in the X compared to the RWD model and it takes a bit of getting use to. Sometimes it feels like the car will just lose control, but it doesnt. Its very forgiving IMO.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Lip
Pretty much what the other posters mentioned.
The X also has different gearing than the RWD Auto version. Revs at say 60mph in freeway mode are a bit higher as a result.
The steering feels different, a bit more effort, and less feel. The lower control arms and probably spindals are straight out of the FX model. They appear to be made of steel rather than alluminum.
Grip is superb.

Overall, you can feel the weight-In a straight line, the RWD Auto is quicker, particularly once you get moving. The AWD system does a good job of hiding itself, though understeer is the dominant handling trait- That being said, the car does maintain fairly even balance in most turns.
The car will set into a nice line if you are in a nicely banked tight turn or higher speed long bend. It get's upset when you come into a turn hot turning in late. It just requires that you plan your turns more than in the RWD model.

The 3.5 liter does a nice job of handling the extra weight, particularly with the shorter gearing .The car is strong up to about 100-110-You can use that easily.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my 05x- The OEM 18s come highly recommended and will help the handling more than you may think. Mileage is fair, so long as you don't pedal it too hard.

If you are weekend warrior (skiier) or live in a snow belt, I'd say this car is surely worth consideration.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I never knew the G35X had the deeper 3.54 gear (6MT final drive). Obviously it was to contend with the extra weight.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:02 PM
I test drove both the rwd and X, my salesman was great he let me really get on the cars. I live in snow country in the winter so I was going to buy the X until I drove the rwd version. The X feels much heavier, and dosen't accelerate as well. Once I drove the rwd there was no question that the rwd was what I was looking for. If my car was a family car I would have considered the X. I'm very happy I purchased the rwd version, we'll see if I feel the same when the snow comes.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by smedly
I test drove both the rwd and X, my salesman was great he let me really get on the cars. I live in snow country in the winter so I was going to buy the X until I drove the rwd version. The X feels much heavier, and dosen't accelerate as well. Once I drove the rwd there was no question that the rwd was what I was looking for. If my car was a family car I would have considered the X. I'm very happy I purchased the rwd version, we'll see if I feel the same when the snow comes.
You'll need a GOOD set of snow tires in snow country with RWD.........

Old 09-26-2005, 08:18 PM
I have 03 RWD Premium/Areo & love it & in Canada with the snow it is never that bad. That being said I am tired of switching tires twice a year. I have my snows on factory rims & my Yoko's on custom rims for summer, then I still have the originals off rims. You can see where the hassels come from. I am looking for some type of AWD for convienence. I am deciding between the Gx, Mx, Lexus IS 250, Audi A4. Don't want the bimmer, too many around.

Any other suggestions on what I should buy, but it has to be AWD unless I do the Acura TL but not a big FWD fan, but by all accounts it sounds pretty good & lots of them available?
Thank you

Old 09-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Calgary_G
I have 03 RWD Premium/Areo & love it & in Canada with the snow it is never that bad. That being said I am tired of switching tires twice a year. I have my snows on factory rims & my Yoko's on custom rims for summer, then I still have the originals off rims. You can see where the hassels come from. I am looking for some type of AWD for convienence. I am deciding between the Gx, Mx, Lexus IS 250, Audi A4. Don't want the bimmer, too many around.

Any other suggestions on what I should buy, but it has to be AWD unless I do the Acura TL but not a big FWD fan, but by all accounts it sounds pretty good & lots of them available?
Thank you
You might also consider the GS300 awd. Not as quick as the Mx but nicer interior, smoother ride, and easier on gas.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by JayDee
You might also consider the GS300 awd. Not as quick as the Mx but nicer interior, smoother ride, and easier on gas.
JayDee you are right it is a nice car.... the Lexus. Got myself a new 05 X thou

Attached Thumbnails simple question, hoping for a simple answer, about the g35x-screen-save.jpg  
Old 01-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
A major magazine (ie.. Automobile I think) did a VERY in depth comparison of the G35X and the G35. It was titled, "do you need awd?" or something. Very, very informative article. I'll try to get the exact mag name/month later. They said the Gx was a very, very good AWD setup (RWD based) and it's function was seemless to the driver. Handling was more towards understeer and the rwd was more towards oversteer. Nothing extreme. More like a few % on each side of neutral. In conclusion, if you didn't actually need the AWD, then RWD is the way to go. Infiniti's more mechanical approach to AWD has a higher weight penalty (ie.. 250lbs as mentioned) vs Audi's @ 160lbs.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Lip
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
A major magazine (ie.. Automobile I think) did a VERY in depth comparison of the G35X and the G35. It was titled, "do you need awd?" or something. Very, very informative article. I'll try to get the exact mag name/month later. They said the Gx was a very, very good AWD setup (RWD based) and it's function was seemless to the driver. Handling was more towards understeer and the rwd was more towards oversteer. Nothing extreme. More like a few % on each side of neutral. In conclusion, if you didn't actually need the AWD, then RWD is the way to go. Infiniti's more mechanical approach to AWD has a higher weight penalty (ie.. 250lbs as mentioned) vs Audi's @ 160lbs.
I'd love to see the article when you find it.

With respect to the weight penalty, that's no joke. The X is a heavy car.
In addition to having unique gearing for an automatic, the car also has FX lower control arms up front. If I didn't use this as my "get to Tahoe" car, I'd have gone with a 6-speed in a second. More steering feel, better acceleration, better mileage.

Update: That being said, I put a set of XGT Z4s on the stock 17s and the car does a great job in the snow. These are M&S so they aren't perfect, though they'll go through a few inches of the fresh stuff and get me past chain control-
Actually, on my last trip to Tahoe, it was dumping snow coming back over the pass and monsooning all the way to the bay area. This car showed me her tricks on that trip and I was finally happy/content with my purchase- I try to get up there every other weekend, so for me it's worth it.
Heck it even made it up the driveway ! Given the nature of the system, I was very impressed with it's ability to react to changing road conditions.

With respect to the Audi, the Torsion system used on the Audi is not exactly light weight either- I like the Audi system, though I prefer the RWD nature of the G's system. It's more fun in daily driving to be able to squeak the tires a bit. Must less understeer here too, though that is more related to the position of the motor in the Audi which is out in front of the front axle.

I still want a 6-speed though...Hopefully the next gen will have that as an option on the AWD models. This is my first Automatic, and I'm dying....I can't stand the lack of control. If the new model comes with a 6speed or even if they add that as a last minute option on the current model I would be uber satisfied.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
What do you know, I found it.

Automobile Mag. April 2004. Artile Slip or Grip. "Should your next sport seda have all wheel drive?

They test a G rwd and awd vs an audi A4 fwd and AWD. Very informative article. One page has the AWD G and the RWD G at the corning limits. Very cool pictures. Along with perfomance figures (Dry and snow) and a detailed technical explaination of the differences inbetween Audi/Infiniti AWD systems.