actually
i'm pretty sure HKS + Coupe mid pipe is alot louder then stillen

Old 10-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hyde
actually
You're 100% correct, but more like the typical "fart can" loud. I've heard 'em both....Stillen ='euro' loud....HKS= 'Pep Boys' loud...lol. No offense !..UBCool.,jbx

Old 10-28-2005, 11:45 AM
i'm sorry, but stillen doesnt even sound good at all, it was hallow and didnt even sound as nice as the high pitch stock muffler with coupe mid, which sounded more like a 360 Modena.

the HKS gives a solid bass sound and roars when u rev it. especially with the Blitz SUS power intake, its just really loud.

Old 10-29-2005, 06:20 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Okay whatever, You know how it goes...I played football....you probably marched in the band, I like Alternative....you probably Classic rock, Harley.....Honda, fiscal conservative.......Democrat, Sinner....Saint, I say hollow....you say hallow, I do all my own work......you might pay somebody, and on and on. Thing is we both enjoy G's.....so it's all good. Problem is that those of us with X's have had to wait far too long for performance upgrades, and still have limited resources. Damn....I can't even get an accurate dyno done to wave in your face. So there Sparky, we'll just have to continue thumbing noses and sticking to our own guns. A 360 Modena?.....give me an F'ing 'vague reference' break. And, I also like my intake.....lol. UBCool, jbx

Attached Thumbnails 2 mid pipe or a/m exhaust-dscf0007.jpg   2 mid pipe or a/m exhaust-dscf0002.jpg  

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 10-29-2005 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:05 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hyde
actually

Not to my personal experience...

I had the HKS rear section exhaust...but no coupe middy...and it sounded really bassy and clean...you couldn't even hear it until after 3-4 RPM's.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
Not to my personal experience...

I had the HKS rear section exhaust...but no coupe middy...and it sounded really bassy and clean...you couldn't even hear it until after 3-4 RPM's.

I've had (on my X):

1) coupe midpipe + HKS muffler
2) sedan midpipe + HKS muffler
3) Stillen catback (new version)

To me, the coupe middy + HKS was louder than the Stillen Catback. The HKS alone on the sedan middy was not loud at all but gave a nice note. I prefer the Stillen which is what I have now to me it's not loud but whatever. Like JBX is saying everyone has a different take on what is "too loud" is and what has a good note etc...Best is to go to meets and hear for yourself. My $0.02.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Xman
I've had (on my X):

To me, the coupe middy + HKS was louder than the Stillen Catback. The HKS alone on the sedan middy was not loud at all but gave a nice note. I prefer the Stillen which is what I have now to me it's not loud but whatever. Like JBX is saying everyone has a different take on what is "too loud" is and what has a good note etc...Best is to go to meets and hear for yourself. My $0.02.
Your comparing the coupe mide pipe + HKS against the revised Stillen Catback that is supposed to be a lot quieter then the original version that lots of members still have. I bet the original Stillen Catback is louder then the HKS+ Coupe Mid. Ive only heard the Stillen though, so its just a guess.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Does anyone have proof of the HKS gaining any HP or TQ?? Since its not the full cat back, and the Coupe Mid pipe dosnt gain any power (just wieght loss and sound) do you think the Rear section alone can net you any power? or is it just for sound/wieght as well?

Old 10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by e-low
Does anyone have proof of the HKS gaining any HP or TQ?? Since its not the full cat back, and the Coupe Mid pipe dosnt gain any power (just weight loss and sound) do you think the Rear section alone can net you any power? or is it just for sound/wieght as well?
Weight, sound and maybe.......just maybe... a few HP. I did one of the first middy/after market end pipe swap outs(check the 'search') on an X and still think it's a great mod (whatever frigg'n brand you prefer), but not for a power gain. UBCool, jbx

Old 10-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by Xman
I've had (on my X):

XMan......how ya lik'n your cat-back? Haven't heard ya since Englishtown....JBX

Old 10-30-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey JBX,

How's it goin'. I'm liking the Stillen catback a lot. Not sure about performance gains but the sound is nice. It's a bit more noticeable with the cooler weather. Occassional rattle from something up front driver's side when I turn left. Not sure what it is yet. Had to have my throttle body replaced for some reason (covered under warranty) but other than that the X is doing fine.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:06 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
If I'm not mistaken, the VERY faint 'buzz' you feel through the pedal is the same as I do @ about 1200 rpm. This is occurs because when the stock 'Y' pipe was removed....so was the flex pipe section that absorbed the existing harmonic buzz generated by the header/exhaust system. Whenever I change my oil, I check all the exhaust/header connections to make sure they're tight. Ya gotta make sure the car is totally cooled down when you do so to allow for heat expansion on the bolts. Haven't found one yet....UBCool, jbx

Old 10-31-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't wanna pay for a full catback and I already have the coupe middy and z-tube. I will get the stillen cold air box soon. From your guys' experiences, do I need the HKS muffler for the best sound (b/c sound is all i'm concerned about; i drive conservative now after my speeding ticket) or should I stay w/ the stock muffler? Thx guys.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Go aftermarket end pipe. Get that frigg'n stock end tank ...er a... I mean end pipe off. It's a big decision......sound fast....or be fast....Hmmm. BCool, jbx

Old 11-09-2005, 01:58 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Hey JustBrilliantX
Did you ever upgrade your cats? or are you still running the stock ones?