G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Deodorizing Vents

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by doogie
Wait, smoking's not good for you? WOW! I'm gonna quit RIGHT AWAY! Thanks for the new info!

Can't believe I've been smoking all this time without even knowing that.
Wholly crap Texan now you know, isn't knowledge
a wonderful thing? Now you may not be pukeing
your lungs up in 10 years!

Old 03-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53G35
While looking at a used RX330 at Car Sense ("like-new" off-lease used retailer), it smelled of smoke.
Carsense? Where are you from? Philly, PA area?

Old 03-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Cripes. Can you two take your little 2 man circle jerk to private messaging and leave a relatively clean thread alone?? This is EXACTLY the type of crap that makes SEARCHING a HUGE pain.

Originally Posted by gary c

Old 03-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Is sending vapor/mist into the car's AC/vent system bad for the car? Just curious...I like the Febreeze idea...but don't want to F up my car.
Won't you end up with febreeze residue in the circ system? That stuff is a sticky mess when we sprayed it generously on some flooring and carpet where we had some animal butt control issues...love the stuff but that much concentrated can not be wonderful for the system or filters.

so anyone knows about this??

Old 03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Is sending vapor/mist into the car's AC/vent system bad for the car? Just curious...I like the Febreeze idea...but don't want to F up my car.
Well I don't know for sure, but I can honestly say that I've been doing this in mine and customer cars for years and have never had a problem. I brought it up once with a service guy and he basically shrugged and said it was no problem and that the ventilation system sucks in way worse stuff than febreeze every day.

Originally Posted by SixFive
Won't you end up with febreeze residue in the circ system? That stuff is a sticky mess when we sprayed it generously on some flooring and carpet where we had some animal butt control issues...love the stuff but that much concentrated can not be wonderful for the system or filters.
Like I said, I doubt it's worth worrying about. The ventilation system is deisgned to deal with environmental contamination, so febreeze just doesn't strike me as a problem as long as you're not spraying it directly on to your air filter.

You guys don't have to do it, just a suggestion. I've never had a complaint.

Oh, and fwiw, after I do this the car doesn't seem to shoot febreeze odor out of the vents (which would indicate maybe some residue sticking in the system). I'd imagine it's very much like spraying some into the air - it just dissipates before it hits the ground. I use a whole bottle because I do it every 6 months, but i'd guess that a smaller burst more often would do the trick just as well.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Red Card Crew

Agreed. The vent systems are semi-contained. It's mostly just ducting and the cabin filter.

Originally Posted by picus112
Well I don't know for sure, but I can honestly say that I've been doing this in mine and customer cars for years and have never had a problem. I brought it up once with a service guy and he basically shrugged and said it was no problem and that the ventilation system sucks in way worse stuff than febreeze every day.

Like I said, I doubt it's worth worrying about. The ventilation system is deisgned to deal with environmental contamination, so febreeze just doesn't strike me as a problem as long as you're not spraying it directly on to your air filter.

You guys don't have to do it, just a suggestion. I've never had a complaint.

Oh, and fwiw, after I do this the car doesn't seem to shoot febreeze odor out of the vents (which would indicate maybe some residue sticking in the system). I'd imagine it's very much like spraying some into the air - it just dissipates before it hits the ground. I use a whole bottle because I do it every 6 months, but i'd guess that a smaller burst more often would do the trick just as well.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Cripes. Can you two take your little 2 man circle jerk to private messaging and leave a relatively clean thread alone?? This is EXACTLY the type of crap that makes SEARCHING a HUGE pain.

You said "circle jerk" He he he. These forums do go off topic....OFTEN.

In regards to fabreez... My wife has the stuff for inside our house, but it's a standard spray bottle. Do they make an arisol can, or do you sit there and manually spray an entire bottle?

Thanks!

Last edited by shredX; 03-22-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shredX
You said "circle jerk" He he he. These forums do go off topic....OFTEN.

In regards to fabreez... My wife has the stuff for inside our house, but it's a standard spray bottle. Do they make an arisol can, or do you sit there and manually spray an entire bottle?

Thanks!
There are aerosols.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Update. I still could smell a faint smoke stink when running the defrost system w/ the fresh air vent. I didn't run the Ozium though there that long the first time.

so I repeated the whole process I mentioned again. But this time sprayed the ozium more aggresively. I also took off the battery cover and tray under the hood. This reveals the fresh air vent and cabin filter. With the ac on full blast and running both defrost and the other heat vents, I sprayed the Ozium toward the cabin filter.

It's been another 2 days and so far it's working. I'm going to now clean all the plastic and leather with cleaner. As I think the vents aren't spewing stink on everything. hehe

Old 03-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Nice. My dad (a smoker) is selling his ride. I gave him the advice from this thread.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by gary c

WTF--that was not me. I do NOT smoke

Old 03-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Red Card Crew

One last update. It's been 4-5 days since the last treatment and I haven't had a chance to clean the leather. When my bro rode in the car I asked him if he could smell anything. He said "no". Just a faint smell of the ozium. I agreed but since I drive the car everyday, I couldn't be sure.

So I'm pretty confident that the ozium worked pretty good. I DID however clean the headliner and glass previously. But the 2 treatments of Ozium seemed to do the trick better than anything else I tried

Originally Posted by shredX
^^ Nice. My dad (a smoker) is selling his ride. I gave him the advice from this thread.

Thanks guys.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Red Card Crew

Ugh! The smell is back. It's not a smoke smell. More like a monkey pissed inside the vents! I'll try the Ozium thing again but has anyone had a persistant problem? I'm thinking something in the system is causing the odor and unless I get that, it will just keep coming back.

Once I run the AC or fan for a bit, it goes away. ?????????