G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Brand new car- engine light on- dealer says- HEAT SENSOR?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brand new car- when i picked it up from the dealership- the check engine light was on. They said its probably the gas cap not bein gon tight.. so i listened.. and drove the car home about 70 miles... so i go through one tank and still the light is on- i go the the nearest dealership about 15 miles away and they scan it and tell me its a heat sensor? wtf is that= do you think it will be a serious issue? i dont haev time to bring the car in untill next week.. will the car be ok till then?

Old 10-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Banned
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Efiniti

brand new car- when i picked it up from the dealership- the check engine light was on. They said its probably the gas cap not bein gon tight.. so i listened.. and drove the car home about 70 miles... so i go through one tank and still the light is on- i go the the nearest dealership about 15 miles away and they scan it and tell me its a heat sensor? wtf is that= do you think it will be a serious issue? i dont haev time to bring the car in untill next week.. will the car be ok till then?
Funny you say that - my check engine light came on right after taking delivery, and of cause calling them they said it was probably the "Gas cap" - like I'm retarded or something. Turns out that it was a damaged O2 sensor wire underneath the car - one could see where the wire was frayed like it was chewed or something. Not saying that's the problem, but worth a look. Analyzing the code will point the service department in the right place - not a big deal actually but inconvenient nonetheless.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
The "heat sensor" is the heated oxygen sensor. It's a 10 minute fix for Infiniti. Having a broken 02 sensor maybe impact your MPGs a little, but your car will be fine. O2 sensors are very fragile and a drop from 4" onto a hard surface usually breaks one. Don't get too pissed at Infiniti because Bosch is the one that makes the sensor for the G35 and almost every other 1986+ car on the road today.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:06 PM
thanks... I have an appointment on tues. Thanks guys...

DaveB- how do you like that Z-pipe?

Old 10-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Gas Cap Story-
I had a check engine problem a few times on my 04 G. I know my cap is tight, and it clicks 3 or 4 times every time I fill (always self serve). On the third time, I brought it to an AutoZone for a free OBDII scan. "MASS EVAP LEAK". I know that typically means gas cap.
So, I check the gas cap anyway, even though I KNOW the cap is good and tight. Well, it turns out that the little plastic lanyard thingy which prevens me from dropping the cap was caught under the cap. Upon close inspection of the lanyard, it seems I've caught it there before. So, now I am conscious to double check the lanyard, and the light's been off since.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The gas cap theory sound bogus. One Time I did a bone head move and drove 100 miles home with my gas door open and gas cap still in it's holder and never once did I get a check engine light.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:52 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Efiniti

You picked it up with the Check Engine Light on?????? more than that, they allowed you to drive it home with it on not knowing what the issue is??????

Somebody is not doing their job, and Infiniti would be very surprised if they found out how the car was delivered to you.

Next thing you know, that dealer will accuse you of driving the car and damaging something because the check engine light meant that there was something seriously wrong. You don't need that headache......
The "heat sensor" is probably something minor, but get it looked at ASAP.

...........and I'd suggest that don't drive it home again until the CEL light is off, stays off, and whatever caused it to come on is fixed .

C.