G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 6MT Engine Knocking Pinging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:11 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickk6
So basically pinging is an inherent characterisitic of the VQ35...oh well...
specifically, the 298hp version. I'm not settling though.. if you look closely, you'll see that ALPHA (which is the air fuel ratio) is still a bit high at times (115%). I'm not sure how that translates to an actual air fuel ratio, but if anything is causing pinging in these engines, it is a lean mixture.

I'm throwing in the towel and bringing in my G for a custom tune to Z-Car garage. I'll buy the unichip and have it tuned on the dyno. I will finally have a car that doesn't ping under normal conditions. Yeah, it's going to cost me.. but in the long run, I'll have a tune which is ideal for my specific car and it will pay off in power, fuel economy, and NO MORE PINGING!

I will try to post before and after dyno results focusing specifically on the air fuel mixture and its effect on the pinging condition which Infiniti is claiming as "normal" ... I'll bet they leaned out the mixture this much to improve fuel economy

If my attempt at resolving pinging is successful, perhaps a group buy can be arranged in my area for those intersted in having the problem resolved too.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy cow. Well I am going to begin my trail of tears next monday. Can wait to hand them my bone stock 05 6MT, well I have the ISO Gasket installed so close to bone stock .

No spacers or lower plenum though, no aftermarket exhaust, no ztube no K&N. am not even going to mention this thread or the mounting problem the have with users becoming aware of the product defect.

I think it is pretty f'd up that they wuld just let it go out like that. So what would happen in a few years of knocking and pining... they start replacing engines if the car is still under warranty. What a crock and a waste.

Well if anyone was patient through this it was certainly you BTB. Hate to see this become an out of pocket expense but I can't say that I dont blame you. I might have to follow suit.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Just checked nissan's site for the gas mileage for the 6spd 350z and compared it with the 06 G35 6spd... guess what...

350z: 19/25
g35: 19/26

this further supports the claim that our Gs are probably running lean (leaner that the Zs at least)... also explains why 350z owners don't seem to be complaining about pinging as much.

Last edited by bythabay; 10-30-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by bythabay
Just checked nissan's site for the gas mileage for the 6spd 350z and compared it with the 06 G35 6spd... guess what...

350z: 19/25
g35: 19/26

this further supports the claim that our Gs are probably running lean (leaner that the Zs at least)... also explains why 350z owners don't seem to be complaining about pinging as much.
or it could be something else ofcourse... well, the sedan is at z-car garage now... can't wait get it back and fill everyone in on how it turns out.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Jessica from Infiniti consumer affairs just called me. She said the following things:

"There's nothing further that we can assist you with. The dealer and tech line have advised that the vehicle is performing like other vehicles. This is the way that your vehicle operates, if you don't like it, you shouldn't have bought it."

me: but the car pings.. and pinging is bad..??

"I will document your concern. The file are reviewed by the staff and teh company. They review what the customers call about. If they feel something is wrong with the vehicle, they will do something about it."

I repeatedly stated that I wasn't satisfied with a vehicle that pings and she kept telling me that I should just live with it. I was also very offended that she kept interrupting me and blabing in a monotone voice trying to get me to stop complaining about the pinging and to just live with it.

I urge all of you to bring this issue to Infiniti's attention by first bringing your car in to the dealer and then filing an complaint with Infiniti consumer affairs if the dealer fails to resolve the problem. I'm tired of arguing and the only way things are going to happen at this point is if we all band together and let it be know that we don't want cars that ping.

Please don't put it off - Pinging is NOT OKAY.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Jessica from Infiniti consumer affairs just called me. She said the following things:

"There's nothing further that we can assist you with. The dealer and tech line have advised that the vehicle is performing like other vehicles. This is the way that your vehicle operates, if you don't like it, you shouldn't have bought it."

me: but the car pings.. and pinging is bad..??

"I will document your concern. The file are reviewed by the staff and teh company. They review what the customers call about. If they feel something is wrong with the vehicle, they will do something about it."

I repeatedly stated that I wasn't satisfied with a vehicle that pings and she kept telling me that I should just live with it. I was also very offended that she kept interrupting me and blabing in a monotone voice trying to get me to stop complaining about the pinging and to just live with it.

I urge all of you to bring this issue to Infiniti's attention by first bringing your car in to the dealer and then filing an complaint with Infiniti consumer affairs if the dealer fails to resolve the problem. I'm tired of arguing and the only way things are going to happen at this point is if we all band together and let it be know that we don't want cars that ping.

Please don't put it off - Pinging is NOT OKAY.
Welp that confirms my suspicions about the dealer heavily noting that the other cars are pinging as well. I could tell in the previous post you made with the dealer notes that they were setting this up to be something that is normal. If they are all F'ed up then it must be OK is they way they are justifying this.

I am going to take mine to the dealer next week. I would go sooner but I just do not have the time.

I wonder what their story will be if some of these pre-detonate badly enough to F the engine up. are they going to accept the blame or pin it on the owner and tell them if they don't like it then they shouldn't have bought it.

What a load. I guess i should get some blood pressure pills now so I can have them in my blood stream when the **** hits the fan for me.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Another guess. Does the engine ping when cold (ie.. before it goes into closed loop) The ecu ignores the 02 sensors and just uses the maf/TB and uses a pre-programed ign/fuel curves. Usually rich. So if it doesn't ping when cold then there's another piece of proof for you guys.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:11 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Another guess. Does the engine ping when cold (ie.. before it goes into closed loop) The ecu ignores the 02 sensors and just uses the maf/TB and uses a pre-programed ign/fuel curves. Usually rich. So if it doesn't ping when cold then there's another piece of proof for you guys.
I can't honestly say Jeff. Obviously, when it's just cranked and sitting there idling, it's not under load, so I wouldn't expect it to ping. And contrary to what some people might think about how much I push my car, I really do try to take care of it, and this includes not pushing it when cold.

I never experience the ping under extremely light throttle, which is all my car gets before it's properly warmed up.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:36 PM
I always let mine idle down before embarking on my journey. I can see your point though of possibly testing to see if you can get it to ping while it is running rich like that in open loop. I wouldn't attempt a high speed WOT run though.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I saw some mention pinging while on light/part throttle. So I'm thinking some could test while it's cold.

Actually letting it idle until warm is probably more damaging then driving it gently until warm. Letting it idle only increases the time it takes for the engine to reach temp and closed loop. ie.. the car will run open loop/rich longer vs just getting in, starting, letting it idle for a few seconds and driving. Normal driving is just fine. Going full throttle when it's cold is indeed hard on the engine.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Well test drove the car right after starting and I definitely could hear the knock in second.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Foo_G
Well test drove the car right after starting and I definitely could hear the knock in second.
You going to take action?? Unless we all make it clear that we're not satisfied, Nissan/Infiniti will do nothing about this.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:15 PM
You going to take action?? Unless we all make it clear that we're not satisfied, Nissan/Infiniti will do nothing about this.
Yeah bet I am. It might be an exercise in futility but I am going to run the route. This is total BS.

So are we to refrain from accelerating and if the answer is yes then why didn't they just build a car that goes from 0-60 in 30seconds.

There should be full disclosure laws for new car dealers. If they know a car has a particular malady that could prevent the owner from fair use of the cars potential both performance and longevity then they should have to state this during the course of the sale.

We all know this isn't going to happen but if it did you could bet your bottom dollar that we wouldn't have the inconsiderate CSR's taking consumer complaints.

Why should I/we have to worry about asking if a brand new car exhibits such characteristics before buying it.

Yep I am going ot the dealer but it wont be till early next week.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Foo_G
Yeah bet I am. It might be an exercise in futility but I am going to run the route. This is total BS.

So are we to refrain from accelerating and if the answer is yes then why didn't they just build a car that goes from 0-60 in 30seconds.

There should be full disclosure laws for new car dealers. If they know a car has a particular malady that could prevent the owner from fair use of the cars potential both performance and longevity then they should have to state this during the course of the sale.

We all know this isn't going to happen but if it did you could bet your bottom dollar that we wouldn't have the inconsiderate CSR's taking consumer complaints.

Why should I/we have to worry about asking if a brand new car exhibits such characteristics before buying it.

Yep I am going ot the dealer but it wont be till early next week.
K, I want to hear the result of your trip

Old 10-31-2006, 07:24 PM
K, I want to hear the result of your trip

You can expect a prompt report. I am sure it will be identical to yours. I know i should be more optimistic but I am a realist.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 6MT Engine Knocking Pinging