G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 6MT Engine Knocking Pinging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
I just got a call from z car garage and Rob says that they put the car on the dyno and it's acting really funny.. he didn't say anything specific but he said he thinks something is wrong with it becuase he's seeing some really strange interference with the ignition system.

so no unichip for me for now

He said I can bring it back next week and he's going to figure out exactly what the problem is by trying to swap some parts here & there...

Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
I just got a call from z car garage and Rob says that they put the car on the dyno and it's acting really funny.. he didn't say anything specific but he said he thinks something is wrong with it becuase he's seeing some really strange interference with the ignition system.

so no unichip for me for now

He said I can bring it back next week and he's going to figure out exactly what the problem is by trying to swap some parts here & there...
Ignition as in timing or the key/ignition system.

Is your G idling high at all?

Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Foo_G
Ignition as in timing or the key/ignition system.

Is your G idling high at all?
Ignition as in random sparks going off I think. The G is idling fine though. Rob is awesome.. he said I can bring the car back next week and he will fix it. I probably don't need a unichip after all

He says he's not seen a rev-up motor like mine ping yet, so it could be that some of us have an isolated case of some bad parts or perhaps the quality control at Infiniti for some responsible part is poor.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Originally Posted by bythabay
Ignition as in random sparks going off I think. The G is idling fine though. Rob is awesome.. he said I can bring the car back next week and he will fix it. I probably don't need a unichip after all

He says he's not seen a rev-up motor like mine ping yet, so it could be that some of us have an isolated case of some bad parts or perhaps the quality control at Infiniti for some responsible part is poor.

Wow can't wait to hear your report now!

Mine has been idling consistently at 700 not terribly high but I know the spec is 650 with a +/- 25 revs IIRC. Occasionally I hear what I think is a misfire but not 100% sure it is and I have not been able to catch it with my scan tool.

I think that is very good of them to not insist that you need the unichip to correct the problem. Just about any other shop would have kept leading you down that path.

Kudos to them.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive sat in my car for a long time like an hour talking to a chick. and my engine was on. and i felt a knockin. or a few every once in a while. what is it. should i take my car in. and my cd player sucks too.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by spooze
ive sat in my car for a long time like an hour talking to a chick. and my engine was on. and i felt a knockin. or a few every once in a while. what is it. should i take my car in. and my cd player sucks too.
you should've been knocking her instead

haha

If you have an auto, it's normal to feel some vibration in the vehicle while you're idling, I doubt it's pinging.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Lip
My 05 X with the 280hp motor never pinged. My 06 6MT coupe pings as described above. I generally blame it on California Gas, my 30valve VW pinged like mad, and the different Air Fuel mixture in the rev up motor.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:57 PM
My car pings too. I had weird transmission sounds from 2-3k rpm.and instead they put down:
Car pinging due to use of non premium gas.
I'm extremely unhappy because I have only been feeding my car 93 oct Shell V-power.
Which dealer did you go to bythabay?

Old 12-05-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by cloud
My car pings too. I had weird transmission sounds from 2-3k rpm.and instead they put down:
Car pinging due to use of non premium gas.
I'm extremely unhappy because I have only been feeding my car 93 oct Shell V-power.
Which dealer did you go to bythabay?
I went to Peninsula Infiniti and worked with Ron Cosgrove. I still have the pinging but I think it is at a normal point now (goes away after a few moments) whereas before it didn't go away. I'm still uncertain if it is normal, pinging, or a problem with the gas. So far nobody has been able to find anything wrong (dealer) and I don't feel like spending over $1000 for a chip w/ tuning to change the ecu mappings. Also, it could just be the colder weather, we'll just have to see this upcoming summer if the pinging is really gone.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:21 AM
raises all-in
My car pings ONLY when it's cold. It started only this week when the temps dropped quite a bit in the New England area. Pings when I left off the gas (in gear), or press the clutch. After the engine's warmed up, it's fine.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 PM
eh, had the car in ZCG today. Rob and 2 mechanics confirmed that the car was pinging like crazy. When ZCG says its pinging like crazy obviously that must be some serious ping. Did you get the issue resolved? Any updates?

Old 03-10-2007, 01:11 AM
No, I'm pretty much living with it at this point. If the engine fails because of this I'll just get it built up and slap a tt setup in there

But if someone figures out what the cause is, I'd be down to get it resolved, just tired of not finding the solution so I'm taking a break.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:55 PM
I know you probably went over it a HUNDRED times already, but can you describe the noise youre hearing. I saw that it was really pretty much anywhere in the rev band, but what did the actual noise sound like?

My 6mt makes peculiar noises down below 1500, but thats about it so far as I can tell. Any more input be appreciated.

Chris

Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by CFar
I know you probably went over it a HUNDRED times already, but can you describe the noise youre hearing. I saw that it was really pretty much anywhere in the rev band, but what did the actual noise sound like?

My 6mt makes peculiar noises down below 1500, but thats about it so far as I can tell. Any more input be appreciated.

Chris
The noise sounds like a metallic rattling sound that is inconsistent and seems sporadic. If you drive harder for a bit, the noise doesn't happen, but once you turn the car off and start it up right way, you will hear it again for a bit when you accelerate under load. If you drive "normally" for a bit and then you need to step on it a bit harder and you are below 3k rpm (doesn't matter what gear you're in) you'll hear it too.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Hmm, I was thinking I was experiencing the same thing, but from what I can tell at this point its not an issue.

Really at any time whether warm or cold, anything below 1500 rpm the motor makes a noise similar to traction control on an F1 car, albeit, A LOT quieter. It can happen at any throttle opening, but since that is generally considered lugging the motor thats what I attribute it to.

The only problem I have so far on my 07 is that the 2nd gear synchro just doesn't work so well. Do you have that problem?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 6MT Engine Knocking Pinging