G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

The Difference Winter Tires Make

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 10:26 PM
mac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Difference Winter Tires Make

There's been a lot written here and in other forums about the merits of AWD and of winter tires as the weather gets cold, and as the ice and the snow form.

Living in Manitoba, Canada, I fancy we know something about these issues. I've driven in the winter for many years on both all-seasons and on winter tires, and with FWD, RWD, and AWD (an Audi A4 previously, and now my '05 G35X). There is no question in my mind that winter tires are by far the most important part of the safe winter driving equation, much more important than which wheels are receiving power.

A couple of examples. Our second vehicle is an old '91 Mazda B2200, and we just switched from standard AS truck tires to a set of Michelin X-Ice. The truck's traction on ice and in snow has been transformed. For a few weeks, we had those tires on the truck, and the OE Goodyear Eagle RS-A's on the G35X. When we had our first good dump of snow (about 6 inches of heavy slushy stuff), I took the G out for a drive, eager to reacquaint myself with AWD, and to try out the difference VDC would make. In short, it was much scarier than I thought it would be - there was no problem getting the car sideways, even with the VDC doing its darndest to keep the car lined up. Then I took the truck out, and it was a lot more planted, even with a light back end and RWD. Wow.

I've just dropped off the X for a week to get several things serviced (including a driver's door that won't open consistently - can you imagine!?). I've had a second set of wheels on it for a couple of weeks now, with Dunlop M3's, and the loaner is an '04 RWD G35 with the OE all-seasons. Man, what a loss of traction! Driving in the city, I had to be so careful to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front.

Bottom line, if you're able to afford a car like the G, you can surely afford a little extra for the potentially life-saving benefits of winter tires where the weather merits them. Please consider it.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:08 AM
I agree. There's always talk of RWD vs AWD vs FWD for driving in the snow. I have a RWD sedan, and I drove on my snow tires yesterday on a little snow. It felt just as stable as my FWD Altima on snows. But, I liked the oversteer of the RWD better than the understeer of the FWD. But, yes, for me, snows are probably a must.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 Snow tires

Old 12-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Received 722 Likes on 601 Posts
We just got 1-3 inches dumped on us today, not much, but just enough for my RWD G to go sideways. I was thinking about getting snows and maybe waiting until January, but after this....immediately!

Old 12-04-2005, 12:35 PM
we got 2 inches north of boston and with those fantastic stock tires the X was not that great..

I know there are lots of drivers who never drove a RWD car and believe all the hype about front drive, etc. Front drive is a bit better but... Tires make all the difference. Regardless of what you drive the best setup is two sets of tires summer and winter.

After this winter I will probably get some 18s for the summer and replace those great ELs on the stock rims with some 17 v rated winter tires.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:59 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Good thoughts Mac, and welcome to 'Driver.
Enjoy the G, and be safe
C.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Great post, and absolutely correct. Winter tires are worth every penny you'll pay for them.