G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

snow button question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snow button question

Hey guys

I was told that with the 05x, you can leave the snow button on and drive. While the 04x snow button only works up to 15 or 25mph. I never really understood what that meant. Does that mean that the 04x can't stay locked at 50/50% power after 25mph???

Anyways I have a 05x. I drove it with the snow button on the other day. After getting to about 65mph, the whole car started shaking, so I slowed down and the shaking stayed. I pulled over, turned off the car, turned it back on, took snow button off and the car was still shaking while im driving... is something wrong??? The next day, everything is fine again. ANd its been fine for the past few days.. Did anyone else experience that???

Old 12-12-2005, 09:39 PM
That is really weird. I think after around 15 mph, the system resumes it's normal AWD operation of distributing the power where it's needed.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:23 PM
OUCH!
NEVER EVER TURN THAT BUTTON ON UNLESS U GOING UP A STEEP GRADE!
I dont know, u may have ucked up your tranny. THe g35x is smart enough to distribute power where its need when you going slow. Why would u need awd at such a high speed?

Old 12-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by yassy
OUCH!
NEVER EVER TURN THAT BUTTON ON UNLESS U GOING UP A STEEP GRADE!
I dont know, u may have ucked up your tranny. THe g35x is smart enough to distribute power where its need when you going slow. Why would u need awd at such a high speed?
What are you talking about? The snow button merely cuts power and distributes power 50/50. It disables after 15 mph. In theory, you could use the snow button all the time without damaging anything.

As for his shaking, all I can think of is you may have accumulated ice or snow inside one of your wheels, giving you that "unbalanced" feel.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DP03
What are you talking about? The snow button merely cuts power and distributes power 50/50. It disables after 15 mph. In theory, you could use the snow button all the time without damaging anything.

As for his shaking, all I can think of is you may have accumulated ice or snow inside one of your wheels, giving you that "unbalanced" feel.

I don't own an X but from all the reading and talking to people who sell that is also my understanding.

Having the switch on would not cause this shaking. It sounds very clearly like what you have described. The snow/ice would have melted in a day or so after the car was stopped.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DP03

WHS^^^ Except it is not good to use snow mode on dry surfaces when turning cause the front and rear wheels will be fighting each other because of the awd system (you can actually feel a braking or skidding effect if making a tight turn with the button engaged). I never find it necessary to use snow mode.The attessa system works perfect.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:28 AM
I use to have this problem with my mom's Rav4, after it snows some of the ice/snow on the wheel (in the rims) causes the wheels to be out of balance. This causes the shaking above the 60-65 mark. Once the snow melts off it should be fine.

-Pete

Old 12-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by zenusXng
I use to have this problem with my mom's Rav4, after it snows some of the ice/snow on the wheel (in the rims) causes the wheels to be out of balance. This causes the shaking above the 60-65 mark. Once the snow melts off it should be fine.

-Pete
Funny you should say that. I had Rav4 rims on my 02 Maxima with the snow tires. Those rims were bad for that, it would shake the car silly, I would have to pull into the DIY carwash and hose off the rims to remove the ice that had frozen on the inside of them while sitting overnight. Luckily it only happened once in a while. It didn't take me too long to get rid of those rims.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own the 05. Snow mode locks the torque distribution at 50/50 until 19 MPH. After that the torque is rwd until slip is detected. You also get reduced throttle response.

This description is in the manual. I doubt the vibrating had anything to do with the snow switch.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:13 PM
thanks guys, the vibration never came back so i feel much better now... i was going 60-65 cause i was at a wide open area of the highway with no one near me so I wanted to see how the awd performs on about 3-4 inchs of snow.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lazer
I own the 05. Snow mode locks the torque distribution at 50/50 until 19 MPH. After that the torque is rwd until slip is detected. You also get reduced throttle response.

This description is in the manual. I doubt the vibrating had anything to do with the snow switch.
I couldn't find anything in the 2005 manual g35x booklet about the snow button working until 19 MPH, We drove with it the first time this week and engaged it and felt the torque kick in and we were asking ourselves if it should stay on,we were waiting for it to turn off but it never did, and the manual states nothing about it turning if off ? So we turned it off, if it is anything like my other vehicle, it is best to use when starting out on a snowy surface then turn it off manually after you are doing around 20 MPH,

Old 12-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow Button Redux

I was a little inaccaurate in description of the snow button. I was told how it worked by the dealer, and did not see it in the owners manual per se. According to an article I saw here: http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/n...09104451.shtml

The 50/50 torque distribution defaults to rwd after 12 MPH but the reduced throttle response continues with the snow button on

I am pretty sure this strategy is continued on both the 2005 and 2006 models.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by paulcl
thanks guys, the vibration never came back so i feel much better now... i was going 60-65 cause i was at a wide open area of the highway with no one near me so I wanted to see how the awd performs on about 3-4 inchs of snow.
I have an '04 RWD Sport. and had the same thing happen last week. Found a large area of standing water and drove slowly through it; vibration vanished. BTW, this is with the OEM sport 5 spoke wheels.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:59 PM
I kept my snow button on all the way to work. From city to highway. Max speed on the highway might have been up to 35-40. Didn't have any vibration.
IMHO if there is a button, push the damn thing when it snows.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:52 PM
To be honest ... the 50/50 power distribution is only a part of it ... personally I find the way it retards the throttle to be more useful. I guess I'm more heavy footed ... but it really does make a difference.

-E

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: snow button question