G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Cold weather affects fuel gauge?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cold weather affects fuel gauge?

This morning was the coldest morning so far this winter (it was 12 degrees for my entire ride into work). I needed to get gas this AM (bad day to need to get gas since it's a bit nipply out!), so I went & filled up at the same station I always do. I know you shouldn't, but I always do "top off the tank"...since I like to see the needle all the way up past the "F" line and this is also what helps me do my MPG calcs after fueling up each time (since I don't have the Nav. computer system). Anyways, after fueling up my car and starting it up, the needle didn't even reach the Full line (normally, it goes up past the "F" line). After driving a bit, it finally went above "F", as it normally does.....but then a minute or two later, it was back down below "F" again (the needle sat in between the "F" tick line and the line below it). My entire ride into work (40 minutes) the needle stayed below "F".

I am not really concerned and am not going to be bringing my car in to get it checked out by no means. I was just curious to see if any of you other fellow cold climate G drivers have experienced this. FYI - this did not happen when the temp was in the 20's a week or two ago. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:13 AM
It works on my machine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't noticed this and always top off my tank. Also, it's been pretty fricking cold in the Chicago area the past few weeks. I did notice that my MPG went south along with the temps. I was getting ~20 now I'm getting ~18, this is probably due to the fact I let the car warm up longer though.

Old 12-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Atl isn't as cold

I've noticed the same behavior, in the really cold mornings / nites here (when it dipped into the 30's) my gauge when down a good bit but I know my mileage. Its just the simple expanding / contracting of the tank with the temp. Just go by mileage and you should be fine (although as of late my 13mpg sucks! haha)

Old 12-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by erikill
I've noticed the same behavior, in the really cold mornings / nites here (when it dipped into the 30's) my gauge when down a good bit but I know my mileage. Its just the simple expanding / contracting of the tank with the temp. Just go by mileage and you should be fine (although as of late my 13mpg sucks! haha)
Yeah..not concerned about gauge not being accurate (when fuel is low)...just odd that this happened. Not sure the tank expands/contracts with the temp either....regardless of the size of the tank, if the tank is "full", wouldn't the gauge imply so? (as it doesn't measure # of gallons...yet the level of the gas within the tank)? Just some thoughts. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Yeah..not concerned about gauge not being accurate (when fuel is low)...just odd that this happened. Not sure the tank expands/contracts with the temp either....regardless of the size of the tank, if the tank is "full", wouldn't the gauge imply so? (as it doesn't measure # of gallons...yet the level of the gas within the tank)? Just some thoughts. Thanks.
well the gauge uses a float in the tank to determine the level (at least as far as I know). All metal expands / contracts with temperature as does liquids. Ever hear a house creaking in the nite? Same idea. If you topped off while cold and then it warmed up a bit, I could see the gauge possibly going down a bit.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:05 PM
The fuel gauge in my 03 was acting similar to how you described. It would sometimes not read full when I had just filled the tank. It would usually "catch-up" after a day or 2 and read the correct level. For the most part it worked properly, it never told me I had half a tank when in fact I was out of gas for example. I brought it into the dealer who tested the fuel senders and found both of them to be out of spec. After both fuel senders were replaced, I haven't had the problem return.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:19 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Fuel gauges in our G's sometimes act up. It seems quite common. But like Boones says, in a day or 2 it should catch up.
If the issue gets worse, and it may, see the dealer for a fix.
C.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:43 PM
The gauge on my 03.5 did the same thing, when it was 100 degrees this summer. Turns out both fuel senders were bad. After they were replaced, my rear seatbelt buckles disappeared. The bozo that reassembled my car neglected to put them on top of the seat bench. That's the only major thing my dealer has messed up.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:11 PM
not ruling out a guage error, but fuel is more dense in the cold. its actually the best time to gas up, because technically you are getting "more" gas for your money. or at least that is what the show on the discovery channel said.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by adamG35
not ruling out a guage error, but fuel is more dense in the cold. its actually the best time to gas up, because technically you are getting "more" gas for your money. or at least that is what the show on the discovery channel said.
yes but they still get you with that .009 cents! haha. Best way to get more gas is to win free gas :-D

Old 12-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by macman246
The gauge on my 03.5 did the same thing, when it was 100 degrees this summer. Turns out both fuel senders were bad. After they were replaced, my rear seatbelt buckles disappeared. The bozo that reassembled my car neglected to put them on top of the seat bench. That's the only major thing my dealer has messed up.
HA! I can't believe they did that! But after my experience w/ my local dealership...it doesn't surprise me!

Thanks for the input guys. As for these fuel "senders", I would think this would be a constant problem if they were bad....right? (not just when it's nipply out) Well, I'll be filling up again for the first time (tomorrow AM) since this has occurred and it's only been in the 20's @ night lately. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:36 AM
Well....guess it just might be the fuel senders after all....every time I fill up now (and I do "top off"), it won't read above "F" like it used to (see below). I'll just add it to the list of things for the dealer to fix when I finally cave in & make the appt. I think that makes item #4 or 5 to be fixed now .

Attached Thumbnails Cold weather affects fuel gauge?-fuel-gauge.jpg  
Old 12-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Premier Member

Well....guess it just might be the fuel senders after all....every time I fill up now (and I do "top off"), it won't read above "F" like it used to (see below). I'll just add it to the list of things for the dealer to fix when I finally cave in & make the appt. I think that makes item #4 or 5 to be fixed now .
Guys, when mine does this and it has on occasion, just unplug the battery for 2 hours to reset the ecu and this seems to fix the problem. MAke sure you have a full-tank when you do this.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Guys, when mine does this and it has on occasion, just unplug the battery for 2 hours to reset the ecu and this seems to fix the problem. MAke sure you have a full-tank when you do this.
Hmmm...i'll give it a shot. Thanks. Kinda f'd up though...don't ya think?

Old 12-23-2005, 03:56 PM
This morning was the coldest morning so far this winter (it was 12 degrees for my entire ride into work). I needed to get gas this AM (bad day to need to get gas since it's a bit nipply out!), so I went & filled up at the same station I always do. I know you shouldn't, but I always do "top off the tank"...since I like to see the needle all the way up past the "F" line and this is also what helps me do my MPG calcs after fueling up each time (since I don't have the Nav. computer system). Anyways, after fueling up my car and starting it up, the needle didn't even reach the Full line (normally, it goes up past the "F" line). After driving a bit, it finally went above "F", as it normally does.....but then a minute or two later, it was back down below "F" again (the needle sat in between the "F" tick line and the line below it). My entire ride into work (40 minutes) the needle stayed below "F".

I am not really concerned and am not going to be bringing my car in to get it checked out by no means. I was just curious to see if any of you other fellow cold climate G drivers have experienced this. FYI - this did not happen when the temp was in the 20's a week or two ago. Thanks.

This must be a more common thing than I thought. I don't think it has anything to do with the cold weather. I live in Tampa, FL and my G was doing the same thing. I got a little tired of filling up my gas and not seing the needle go over the "F" line so I took it to Infiniti and they had to replace the fuel senders. If I was you I would take it in to get check out. You're under warranty anyway and it won't cost you anything. Good luck!

Last edited by zorrodpr; 12-23-2005 at 04:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cold weather affects fuel gauge?