G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

sedan midpipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chico
TI know as I have already gone through the trial-error process with different set ups on my old '03 sedan and now my new '05 sedan.

The coupe midpipe will not yield anymore HP but only drone combined with the HKS between 1000 and 1500 RPM and especially under some type of load.
Chico,

I have an '03.5 with a coupe middy and the drone is about all I can take. I don't want to go back to the 03/04 stock midpipe, but I am getting tired of explaining the noise between 1000 and 2000 RPM's under load to customers and such.

It seems like the 05 sedan midpipe is a compromise between the huge 03 sedan pipe and the small, noisy (on the sedan) couple midpipe.

Can I put an 05 sedan midpipe on an 03.5? If it won't fit, could I have someone cut out the resonator in the 05 pipe and put it in my 03.5 and have it fit?

Old 12-26-2005, 12:26 PM
I have a coupe mid-pipe on my autotragic 05 sedan and it made a heck of a difference, namely in the 3-5K pulls. While I never dynoe'd it post-stock, I am willing to bet we'd see a nice increase as the butt dyno feels it Well, whatever, it was worth it and the sound is great.

Old 12-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeslice
Chico,

I have an '03.5 with a coupe middy and the drone is about all I can take. I don't want to go back to the 03/04 stock midpipe, but I am getting tired of explaining the noise between 1000 and 2000 RPM's under load to customers and such.

It seems like the 05 sedan midpipe is a compromise between the huge 03 sedan pipe and the small, noisy (on the sedan) couple midpipe.

Can I put an 05 sedan midpipe on an 03.5? If it won't fit, could I have someone cut out the resonator in the 05 pipe and put it in my 03.5 and have it fit?
The '05 midpipe will bolt right up. There are a couple of members here that were selling it.

Old 12-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wingsprint
The 05 Sedan midpipe is different than the older models. But the addition of a Coupe mid pipe will drop 17lbs (according to my scale used for shipping), and dose add a deeper tone at low RPM and WOT.

Looking at the 05 Sedan Midpipe and the Coupe Midpipe side by side the thing I noticed was the difference in exhaust flow path and tubing bends. The 05 Sedan Midpipe has more bends and change pipe diameter. The Coupe Midpipe is still a nice upgrade on the 05 Sedan.
The exhaust flow path is obviously different due to the different underbody design to avoid the midpipe hit the crossbrace just above it. But the pipe size is exactly the same as far as I have seen hence same flow volume.

Here are a couple of pics side by side of the '05 & coupe midpipes and the older '03/'04 & coupe midpipes. The difference is day and night.

Attached Thumbnails sedan midpipe-car-exhaust-006.jpg   sedan midpipe-g35_midpipes.jpg  
Old 12-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Banned
a picture speaks a thousand words.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:06 AM
Jp1
If the drone of the coupe middy is problematic, just use the manumatic mode. If I'm with customers/co-workers, etc I just slide it into manumatic and find a gear up from where the auto wants to be. Best of both worlds.

I've got a 04.5 5at and the coupe mid pipe was a nice mod for $100. It's not a fantastic mod, but a nice one for a few bucks.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:19 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Jp1
If the drone of the coupe middy is problematic, just use the manumatic mode. If I'm with customers/co-workers, etc I just slide it into manumatic and find a gear up from where the auto wants to be. Best of both worlds.

I've got a 04.5 5at and the coupe mid pipe was a nice mod for $100. It's not a fantastic mod, but a nice one for a few bucks.
Either that or spend $500 on a set of high flow cats......drone gone!

Old 12-28-2005, 03:04 AM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
g35papa... how does the ypipe/coupe midpipe combo work for your 5at sedan? did u have them b4 the cats? .. did the cats improve performance?
I think I am going to leave the stock muffler on though.
Coupe middy came in today.. gonna chk the dyno shops after the new year to see if I can get a base line with the stock pipe, then the middy..

Old 12-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by vegasG35sedan
gonna chk the dyno shops after the new year to see if I can get a base line with the stock pipe, then the middy..
What? Dyno a performance mod? But why? Countless butt dynos already say it makes more powa...

Good on yah, mate. Post up the results for the benefit of the community.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:27 PM
g35papa... how does the ypipe/coupe midpipe combo work for your 5at sedan? did u have them b4 the cats? .. did the cats improve performance?
I think I am going to leave the stock muffler on though.
Coupe middy came in today.. gonna chk the dyno shops after the new year to see if I can get a base line with the stock pipe, then the middy..
My current set up was added in this order.
1. Coupe Middy
2. HKS Rear
3. Y-pipe
4. Crawford cats

If you are looking for performance, the coupe middy and Y will not yield much. At least for me it didn't. The middy gave me a nice tone at about 3500rpm (and a small drone at 1500 to 2000) and a few HP more on the low end torque side (not a huge diff). The Y added a few HP on the high end and smoothed out acceleration but I lost low end torque and also lost some sound out of the HKS rear section.

I removed the Y and added the cats.......the cats have given me improvement all the way through the power band. Mostly at high end but a noticable difference at low and mid range power. The sound is very aggresive at WOT. Deep tone when crusing but not deep like the RICERs driving around. I've been lazy and havent added the Y back on to see what the complete setup does. I am going to assume it will quiet things down a bit and maybe loose some low end....hard to say...will have to try it out. Maybe this weekend? (I keep saying that).

Oh yeah, the Crawfords also have a small rasp for a quick second at WOT (havent looked at what RPM it is ...I think its around 4500 on the way up) and I am also hoping the Y will remove that as well. If not, its liveable.

Good luck

Old 12-28-2005, 09:59 PM
The crawford cat rasp slowly either goes away in my head or in reality. I'd bet that the cats break in and get a layer of crud on them and it changes the resonation eventually. Just a guess but the rasp that used to bug me is gone.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:09 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
ok.. well the pipe came in but I couldnt find a dyno that could get me in soon so I couldnt wait. I can always go back with the stock middy and dyno both. THe install took 30 minutes from the time I opened the box to the time the car was back on the floor. All that is needed is a 14mm deep socket and a 12mm deep socket, a ratchet, and a 6" extension, floor jack, and a jackstand or 2.
THe stock middy weighs 26lbs and the coupe middy weighs 8 lbs.
THe tone of the exhaust deepened just a little but I cant tell if there is a power gain, but I dont think there is any loss in power either. No drone at any RPM.
sedan midpipe-img_2964.jpg

Last edited by vegasG35sedan; 12-28-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:13 AM
ok.. well the pipe came in but I couldnt find a dyno that could get me in soon so I couldnt wait. I can always go back with the stock middy and dyno both. THe install took 30 minutes from the time I opened the box to the time the car was back on the floor. All that is needed is a 14mm deep socket and a 12mm deep socket, a ratchet, and a 6" extension, floor jack, and a jackstand or 2.
THe stock middy weighs 26lbs and the coupe middy weighs 8 lbs.
THe tone of the exhaust deepened just a little but I cant tell if there is a power gain, but I dont think there is any loss in power either. No drone at any RPM.
Attachment 30155

Take a good look at this picture. The exhaust moves left to right in both pipes shown. If you did not know which was the Sedan midpipe and the Coupe midpipe which one would you say flows better?

Take a close look at the 05 Sedan midpipe, see the changes in pipe diameter?

See the more pronounced bends in the Sedan midpipe?

Take a look at the quality of the bends on the Sedan midpipe, can you say restrictive?

You will receive your Exhaust Flow Merit Badge in the mail shortly if you answered yes to all four questions.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:00 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by Homeslice
Chico,

Yes you can put an 05 midpipe on your sedan. It will bolt up just like it was made for it. I have Trey's stock 05 midpipe on my car currently and it took just a couple of minutes for them to bolt it up for us. Definitely an improvement IMHO as well.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by SixFive
The crawford cat rasp slowly either goes away in my head or in reality. I'd bet that the cats break in and get a layer of crud on them and it changes the resonation eventually. Just a guess but the rasp that used to bug me is gone.
Good to know, ill keep my ears open and see if it winds up going away on its own.
Thanks

No drone at any RPM.
I didnt get any drone till after about a week or two of driving. Hopefully the 05's exhaust has a bit less backpressure and you won't get any drone.

Also, you may notice some banging noise coming from the exhaust when driving over rougher roads. This may be due to the either the heat shield rubbing the pre-muffler or the safety bracket that is just under the drive shaft (towards the backend of the pre-muffler..if I remember correctly). That will have to be modified if it hits.

Good work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: sedan midpipe