G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

sedan midpipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:08 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35papa
Good to know, ill keep my ears open and see if it winds up going away on its own.
Thanks

I didnt get any drone till after about a week or two of driving. Hopefully the 05's exhaust has a bit less backpressure and you won't get any drone.

Also, you may notice some banging noise coming from the exhaust when driving over rougher roads. This may be due to the either the heat shield rubbing the pre-muffler or the safety bracket that is just under the drive shaft (towards the backend of the pre-muffler..if I remember correctly). That will have to be modified if it hits.

Good work.

I checked for clearance while the car was in the air and there is plenty of clearance.. hopefully there will be no drone magically appearing..

Old 01-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasG35sedan
I checked for clearance while the car was in the air and there is plenty of clearance.. hopefully there will be no drone magically appearing..
Your a smarter man than me......I didnt look when installing ...just blindly installed away

Don't mean to steal your thread but since I already mentioned the small rasp from my Crawford cats....thought I'd share here again.

In short, its gone now. I installed my Y-pipe back on and the rasp has completely gone away. Glad it wasnt a leak.

Happy modding!

Old 01-01-2006, 03:46 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
THanx.. I looked for clearance because I read about some issues rubbing and figgered I would take care of it while it was up in the air the 1st time.
I have already been asked a few times if the car has a V8.. so the sound level is deeper and more obvious.. I havent noticed a real noticable gain in HP or torque (or loss).
I think the next step will be the y-pipe, probably the HKS, I plan on keeping the stock muffler based on what I read in the sedan and exhause forums. Then sway bars..

Old 01-01-2006, 11:40 PM
I've been reading about this midpide thing for a while now and I can't seem to get a clear sense of what to do. I do want a deeper sound, a bit more performance if I can get it, but I definately don't want to live with drone. Is the drone that big an issue? Which midpipe should I be looking for? '05 Sedan or coupe midpipe?

BTW I have an '04 6mt sedan.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:44 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
go for the midpipe,, it works, for sound at least, I think the folks with y-pipes have me convinced that it will be my next step. IMO buy a used midpipe off a coupe owner, probably find one in the forum.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What ^^^ he said...go for the coupe mid-pipe then (no performance gains though that I know of)....though it is considerably lighter than the stock one. Sound is sweet. Only a slight sense of drone under load @ low rpm's (1K - 1.5K)....not the least bit intolerable though....so it's not that big an issue.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the replies.

How much do you think should the midpipe will cost me?

Do you guys think that there is any chance I can get the dealer to do it?

I don't they are mod friendly and maybe if they do it they won't give me a problem with it in the future.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Premier Member

The 05 Sedan midpipe is already just as good as the coupes. It is like DaveB said about 50% of the size of the old one. It is about 1.5 ft long and about 1 ft wide. But the 04 was about 3 feet long and 1.5 feet wide. It was definitely big. \

Perforamnce between the 05 and a coupe, is nothing. I would not waste your money on a coupe middy on a 05 imho.

But we all know you vegas you will think its better and you will do it anyways like you already are.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by 04NismoV35
Thanks for the replies.

I don't they are mod friendly and maybe if they do it they won't give me a problem with it in the future.

Thanks.
Check out my prevoius post here.. no need to pay anyone for installation

Old 01-04-2006, 01:09 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by vegasG35sedan
Check out my prevoius post here.. no need to pay anyone for installation
Ok.. I understand that you don't feel that paying someone for installation is required but there are some people who don't prefer to do things on their on and in my case - until recently I didn't have the means/area to do anything much to my car. He didn't ask if you thought the dealer should do it or not - he asked how much you thought it would cost.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 04NismoV35
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks.

Simply go down to your local muffler shop. It's a very quick change. I really can't see it costing more than $50 to $60, if that.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:18 AM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by trey's wife
Ok.. I understand that you don't feel that paying someone for installation is required but there are some people who don't prefer to do things on their on and in my case - until recently I didn't have the means/area to do anything much to my car. He didn't ask if you thought the dealer should do it or not - he asked how much you thought it would cost.
Well... he can call the dealer to find that out then.. I was giving him my 2 cents worth.
He can take it or leave it..If someone else has been to the dealer about this then they can chime in also.

But tell him, not me.

Since I dont know him, and probably neither do you, I dont know if he has the room or not. All he stated was that he isn't mechanically inclined, you don't have to be to do this install.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:21 AM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by andy2434
Simply go down to your local muffler shop. It's a very quick change. I really can't see it costing more than $50 to $60, if that.
Good answer.. and if you get a used pipe, then the total cost would be less than buying a new one and installing it yourself..

Old 01-04-2006, 04:28 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I paid Firestone around $45 to swap my sedan mid-pipe for my new/used coupe mid-pipe. They did a great job!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so whats the update on the midpipe? Vegas, are you sure there was enough clearence. At least 2 inches from the heat shield?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: sedan midpipe