G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

sedan midpipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:12 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sedan midpipe

I just bought my car a new midpipe for christmas.. anyone used this brand yet for the sedan.. if so what is your opinion of it?
After doing my research on here and the exhaust forums I am getting the HKS Y-pipe next month..

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...roducts_id=447

Old 12-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasG35sedan
I just bought my car a new midpipe for christmas.. anyone used this brand yet for the sedan.. if so what is your opinion of it?
After doing my research on here and the exhaust forums I am getting the HKS Y-pipe next month..

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...roducts_id=447

That's the coupe midpipe. If you have an '05 you will not notice any difference in sound or performance. Not worth spending the money to upgrade the midpipe on the '05. The new design is much better than the '03 and '04 models.

I have the Y-pipe, stock midpipe + HKS. I like it much better than when I had the coupe midpipe in there.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:07 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Chico
That's the coupe midpipe. If you have an '05 you will not notice any difference in sound or performance. Not worth spending the money to upgrade the midpipe on the '05. The new design is much better than the '03 and '04 models.

I have the Y-pipe, stock midpipe + HKS. I like it much better than when I had the coupe midpipe in there.
Chico
I'm curious.....did putting the stock midpipe back on just remove the coupe middy drone and the small growl at WOT? (probably can't hear the growl over the HKS anymore anyways). I can't imagine it added any more sound.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:21 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by Chico

Yes, I have an 05 5AT... just by looking at the 2 pipes it appears that the coupe midpipe would be both lightrer and better performing. Looks can be deceiving.. I have already bought it just waiting for delivery. like I said, I hope that even if this pipe alone dont show much gain combining it with the y-pipe and possibly high flow cats will.

Let me hear from you 05 sedan owners that have modified exhausts..

Old 12-23-2005, 11:29 PM
I have an 05 6MT sedan and recently installed a Nismo Y pipe and Coupe midpipe. I will attest to the fact that yes it DOES make a difference over the stock pieces. 05's have the very large resonator in the mid pipe as older models, and upgrading that does add hp.

No dynos for proof but the butt dyno suggests prob. between 5 and 10 hp increase (my butt dyno is pretty good after owning numerous Hondas, Mustang Cobras w/NOS and M3s). FYI it did take a few days for the ECU to adapt and become noticable. Other added benefit was a deeper sound at idle and WOT but no drone.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:56 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by kog35
I have an 05 6MT sedan and recently installed a Nismo Y pipe and Coupe midpipe. I will attest to the fact that yes it DOES make a difference over the stock pieces. 05's have the very large resonator in the mid pipe as older models, and upgrading that does add hp.

No dynos for proof but the butt dyno suggests prob. between 5 and 10 hp increase (my butt dyno is pretty good after owning numerous Hondas, Mustang Cobras w/NOS and M3s). FYI it did take a few days for the ECU to adapt and become noticable. Other added benefit was a deeper sound at idle and WOT but no drone.
Now THATS what I wanted to hear....thanx

Old 12-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
The OEM 05 sedan midpipe has a 50% smaller resonator than 03/04 resonator. That's where all the additional exhaust noise came from on the 05s. The reason for it's boxy and flat in shape is not to restrict noise or power, it's designed that way to improve air flow underneath the car. The Coupe and 350Z have flat plates that cover the oval resonator to achive the same flow effect as the Sedan's "suitcase" resonator.

Old 12-24-2005, 02:53 PM
If you have the 05, I would save your money and not buy the coupe midpipe. The sedan midpipe on the 05 is much smaller than previous years. Minimal gains with this swap.
I can't comment on the y-pipe.

Old 12-25-2005, 12:55 AM
vegasG35sedan,

Glad that I could help.

smedly,

Sorry but I disagree...having done the swap (y-pipe and middy), I would say the majority of the gain is most likely from the middy alone. The shear weight of the stock sedan midpipe is probably close to 30 lbs, while I would guess the coupe middy weighs closer to 10.

Actually, I just swapped exhausts with kentristar this afternoon for his Borla true dual...And I can comment that the Borla had prob. another 5-10 hp gain (butt dyno) over the y-pipe + middy combo. Only drawback is the drone that people mention with the Borla does exist and is noticable, but with a 6MT I just choose to leave it in a gear lower and avoid 2k rpms...

Old 12-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kog35
vegasG35sedan,

Glad that I could help.

smedly,

Sorry but I disagree...having done the swap (y-pipe and middy), I would say the majority of the gain is most likely from the middy alone. The shear weight of the stock sedan midpipe is probably close to 30 lbs, while I would guess the coupe middy weighs closer to 10.

Actually, I just swapped exhausts with kentristar this afternoon for his Borla true dual...And I can comment that the Borla had prob. another 5-10 hp gain (butt dyno) over the y-pipe + middy combo. Only drawback is the drone that people mention with the Borla does exist and is noticable, but with a 6MT I just choose to leave it in a gear lower and avoid 2k rpms...
This topic has been covered and discussed extensively in previous threads. Your excitement to have something new and slightly smaller and lighter on your car, might give you the false impression that you have gained considerable HP. But the fact remains the '05 midpipe is basically the same as the coupe midpipe in performance, sound and weight. The '05 midpipe does not weight 30lbs like you said. Double check your scale.

The coupe midpipe + HKS like he wants to do will be counter productive as he will lose some back pressure. I know as I have already gone through the trial-error process with different set ups on my old '03 sedan and now my new '05 sedan.

In the end the '05 short of getting a cat back performs really well and its best with its current midpipe. The coupe midpipe will not yield anymore HP but only drone combined with the HKS between 1000 and 1500 RPM and especially under some type of load.

These are not my opinions just facts. If he wants to spend the money on a pipe that has to be modified to fit and produce drone...then so be it. I'm stating my own experiences and he can accept it or ignore it and accept your comments as he stated "that's what I wanted to hear"

Either way...good luck.

Old 12-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Kog,
I went through this whole process a few months ago when I wanted a coupe midpipe. I kept hearing that the sedan pipe was huge and heavy. I saw pics of non 2005 sedan midpipes and they are huge. So I went under my car to look at this massive pipe, but I couldn't find it. The 2005 midpipes are very small and not that much different than the coupes. I'm not saying there won't be a gain in flow, but it should not be noticible and maybe no gain in horsepower at all.

Old 12-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if anything i would get a used midpipe off a coupe i got mine $80 shipped. I also have an 03.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:27 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by smedly
Kog,
I went through this whole process a few months ago when I wanted a coupe midpipe. I kept hearing that the sedan pipe was huge and heavy. I saw pics of non 2005 sedan midpipes and they are huge. So I went under my car to look at this massive pipe, but I couldn't find it. The 2005 midpipes are very small and not that much different than the coupes. I'm not saying there won't be a gain in flow, but it should not be noticible and maybe no gain in horsepower at all.
I dont know how u could miss it.. I have an 05 and its 2ft long and at least a foot wide,,,

Old 12-26-2005, 02:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
they changed the sedan midpipe from 03/04 to 05+ models..
just like what Chico has stated, changing a coupe middy to
a 05+ sedan shouldn't help too much in terms of power

Old 12-26-2005, 07:09 AM
The 05 Sedan midpipe is different than the older models. But the addition of a Coupe mid pipe will drop 17lbs (according to my scale used for shipping), and dose add a deeper tone at low RPM and WOT.

Looking at the 05 Sedan Midpipe and the Coupe Midpipe side by side the thing I noticed was the difference in exhaust flow path and tubing bends. The 05 Sedan Midpipe has more bends and change pipe diameter. The Coupe Midpipe is still a nice upgrade on the 05 Sedan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: sedan midpipe