G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

DIY 2003/2004 G35 Sedan rattle exorcism

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone else' glove compartment rattle as well? Mine rattles pretty badly, especially when it's cold -_-

Old 02-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
*Update*

Here's a new rattle fix - the glove box door.

Since I've owned my G, I had a decent amount of rattles that come from the glove box area in the colder months. I had always thought the noise came from the latch, but it turns out the rattles come from three different areas.

1) The latch mechanism
2) The big metal plate in the glove box door
3) The plastic hinges

The most noise seems to come from the metal plate in the glove box. After you remove about 10 felt covered screws, the interior panel comes off and exposes the plate. To my surprise, the plate is metal on plastic so when the plastic expands and contracts, the heavy plate gets a little loose and will rattle. A little felt tape and that problem was fixed. A little felt tape on the glove box to latch mechanism connection points and the hinge points which quell some additional rattles. See the pic below for an idea of where to place the felt tape. I'm very surprised at just how much noise was really coming from this area.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Did you make sure that the rattle from the glovebox area isn't comming from the vent beside the upper box? Spray some silicone into the space between the vent and the dash, it usually helps for a 'ticking' noise present in that location.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey Dave, how about the rattles coming from the side vents, have you tackled those? I need to start working on my rattles using your guide-
what an excellent source of information!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Until this thread, my solutions were turn radio up, roll windows, talk on cell, or any combination of the above. Thanks man.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I just got my 2008 G35 sedan 13 days ago, and i notice a rather annoying buzzing sound coming from both rear doors and the front passenger door too.
It doesn't happen all the time, it happens when i'm going about 55-75mph, on a certain type of asphalt on the highway.

I THINK the buzzing is coming from the doors..it sound like 2 pieces of plastic hitting each other...anyone else have these buzzes on a 2008?

Didn't really expect that from a luxury car.

jason

Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
I got Issue #1 Center Console like mad in my car.

hmm actually it might not be, The metal portion is the one rattling, once I put some weight on it it stops.

Guess ill have to research

Going to fix this on the weekend! or tomorrow hehe

Last edited by thescreensavers; 10-26-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Sometimes my front passenger-side seatbelt (male buckle?) hits the B pillar. It was driving me crazy until I figured out what was causing the noise from over there.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had the creaking noise that I've been fighting for a while now. It's coming from the front passenger side area and it IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

I can tell you what it's not...
- Glovebox
- Navigation door
- Passenger side door (I took off the panel and spend 3 hours felt taping the crap out of everything. Major overkill here!)
- Seat
- Window seal (silicon lubed the crap out of it...)

I'm at my wits end on this thing and ready to let the dealer have a go at it. I usually fix my own rattles because I do a better job. Plus I can felt tape other things while I'm in there that the dealer wouldn't...

SO, I suspect it could be the headliner area, but the odd thing is it sounds like it's coming from the door. I just can fathom it being anything related to the door though. Any ideas?

DaveB- Maybe we can meet up and you can have a look at it and see if you can pinpoint it. I'm going crazy!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 AM
4mermarine read

4mermarine,
My driver's door has the same issue and I did the same thing you did. I took off the door panel and put foam adhesive weatherstripping on every nook and cranny on the door panel and then some. I taped down wire harnesses, put the weather stripping on every possible contact and still I get that ticking noise. I cannot figure out where it's coming from and indeed, it DOES sound like the door or where the door meets the window area but I'm coming up empty and am just as annoyed as you. PLEASE keep me posted if you find a fix and I will do so for you as well.
Mary in Boston

Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 AM
What does he mean by door handle cables?

What does godmans mean below when he says door handle cables? I have the same noise he does but I'm not sure what piece he's referring to.
Thanks, Mary

Originally Posted by godmans

*I just realized that the door handle cables might be the source to my door rattle!!! Damn..this would be my third time taking my door panels off

Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by eric300zx
Hey Dave, how about the rattles coming from the side vents, have you tackled those? I need to start working on my rattles using your guide-
what an excellent source of information!!!

I have this rattling as well. The Drivers side, side vent. It sounds like leather and leather moving on each other for me. If I push it inward, the rattling stops, I just dont know how to take that part off.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I think its really sad the 96 Subaru Outback i am driving right now with 143k miles has less rattles than my Infiniti haha

Damn rattles. I got lucky though. my car isnt NEARLY as bad as some Gs i have seen.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by catsnmusic
4mermarine,
My driver's door has the same issue and I did the same thing you did. I took off the door panel and put foam adhesive weatherstripping on every nook and cranny on the door panel and then some. I taped down wire harnesses, put the weather stripping on every possible contact and still I get that ticking noise. I cannot figure out where it's coming from and indeed, it DOES sound like the door or where the door meets the window area but I'm coming up empty and am just as annoyed as you. PLEASE keep me posted if you find a fix and I will do so for you as well.
Mary in Boston
I wouldn't describe the issue I'm having as "ticking". It is definitely a creaking sound. It's most noticeable when accelerating from a stop and sometimes when braking. Tonight I'm going to completely disassemble the center console and dash, then felt tape the crap out of all of it.

Part of the issue is the weak chassis of the G in general. My next purchase will be strut brace and then the GT Spec front tie bar to see if I can stiffen things up just a bit in the front.

Most all of the creaking, sqeaking, and rattling wasn't there before I added the Z/G springs, DSpecs, and coupe rims. Now it's an ensemble of creak, squeak, & rattle when going over sharp road creases and bumps. I haven't quite found that happy medium of DSpec adjustment and tire pressure to get it to even out yet. It REALLY helped when I lowered the tire pressure from 40 to 35 though, that's for sure.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM
4mermarine:

I thought you were talking about the door, not the center console.
My center console improved when the dealer put some padding underneath.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY 2003/2004 G35 Sedan rattle exorcism