G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

window rattling not covered by warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation window rattling not covered by warranty?

Hello everyone,

I bought my beloved used 2003 G35 sedan a few months ago. It is time for me to take it to maintenance, so I called a dealership to schedule and appointment ( I live in Wash. DC). Since I noticed rattling on my windows I figured that it would be a good time to have that checked. When I mentioned that to the Infiniti Service person over the phone, he said : "Infiniti warranty does not cover any rattling after 12,000 mi. Let me make that perfectly clear, I don't want this to be a source of miscomunication". And when I mentioned that my right front window shows some streak marks ( as described in http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB03-021.htm) , he immediately said "I have seen enough cars to know that your door has been tampered with, and that is not covered by warranty, and I would have to charge you at least 1 hr of labor, $100"

My question is: since my car is less that 4 years old and has about 46K miles, are the window rattling and streaking not covered by warranty? Is that not what bumber to bumber warranty is for? (4yr , under 60K mile warranty)
Second, question, am I allowed to mention the name of dealership in this forum?

I obviously will not take it to this dealer as I dislike the way I was treated, but this information could be very useful when I take my car to maintenance. Thanks in advance guys!!!

(BTW, this is the first post I have ever made)

Old 01-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Obtain a printout of the TSBs that describe your problem(s) and present the TSBs to the service writer. They won't go "hunting" for rattles after 12K miles but they will perform the TSBs. I know this is a pain, but that's how it works with most (not all) dealers. That 4/60 bumper to bumper "piece of mind" Inifiniti talks about is a load of cr_p!. You have to read the fine print.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take it to a different dealership. Mine was hunting down a back pakage shelf rattle at 22K. while your at it, call infiniti customer service and see if they can point you to some documentation of what is covered and for how long.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:18 PM
thanks for the feedback guys!

Old 01-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome aboard!

You'll usually find the 'original' warranty only covers the first owner. If you bought a certified pre-owned from the dealer then they are warranting the car, not Infiniti any more.

Enjoy your ride!

...PS - Just do it yourself, the dealer will only booger something up anyway

Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by doogie
Welcome aboard!

You'll usually find the 'original' warranty only covers the first owner. If you bought a certified pre-owned from the dealer then they are warranting the car, not Infiniti any more.

Enjoy your ride!

...PS - Just do it yourself, the dealer will only booger something up anyway
I don't think this is exactly the case, the factory warranty, 4/60 is from Infiniti, not the dealer, not sure if the certified pre-owned program with the 100k or whatever it is is the dealer or Infiniti, but I'm almost positive the origianl 4/60 is Infiniti. Maybe for rattles and such it doesn't cover the second owner.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by anto_zava
Hello everyone,

I bought my beloved used 2003 G35 sedan a few months ago. It is time for me to take it to maintenance, so I called a dealership to schedule and appointment ( I live in Wash. DC). Since I noticed rattling on my windows I figured that it would be a good time to have that checked. When I mentioned that to the Infiniti Service person over the phone, he said : "Infiniti warranty does not cover any rattling after 12,000 mi. Let me make that perfectly clear, I don't want this to be a source of miscomunication". And when I mentioned that my right front window shows some streak marks ( as described in http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB03-021.htm) , he immediately said "I have seen enough cars to know that your door has been tampered with, and that is not covered by warranty, and I would have to charge you at least 1 hr of labor, $100"

My question is: since my car is less that 4 years old and has about 46K miles, are the window rattling and streaking not covered by warranty? Is that not what bumber to bumber warranty is for? (4yr , under 60K mile warranty)

I obviously will not take it to this dealer as I dislike the way I was treated, but this information could be very useful when I take my car to maintenance. Thanks in advance guys!!!

Rattles and squeaks and whatnot are covered by the initial "adjustment" warranty, which is 12 months or 12,000 miles. Generally, in the first 12 months, you can bring the car in, complain about anything, and they'll make an effort to fix it. I'm at 10,600 right now, and am STILL trying to get a rattling door panel fixed. When I get closer to 12,000, I think I'm going to force them to fix it, and just keep taking it back until its done.

Anyway! They're right on the squeaks and rattles thing. If you read the extended warranty, it covers anything except "soft parts," e.g. the leather, trim, rattles, wind noise. I don't have mine in front of me, but its quite a laundry list of exceptions. I did buy one though. It was worth the $919 for 6 year and 72,000 miles...

Old 01-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by mhollinger
Rattles and squeaks and whatnot are covered by the initial "adjustment" warranty, which is 12 months or 12,000 miles. Generally, in the first 12 months, you can bring the car in, complain about anything, and they'll make an effort to fix it. I'm at 10,600 right now, and am STILL trying to get a rattling door panel fixed. When I get closer to 12,000, I think I'm going to force them to fix it, and just keep taking it back until its done.

Anyway! They're right on the squeaks and rattles thing. If you read the extended warranty, it covers anything except "soft parts," e.g. the leather, trim, rattles, wind noise. I don't have mine in front of me, but its quite a laundry list of exceptions. I did buy one though. It was worth the $919 for 6 year and 72,000 miles...
Sure, the extended warranty won't cover those things, but I believe the bumper to bumper will cover those highlighted things, at least I know my dealer fixed a rattle on my '04 when it was at about 15k, and also replaced the shift finisher on my console which somehow cracked.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe I am the lucky ones, I am out of 12k miles, and they just fixed my driver side windows trim rattling, and ordering new parts for my stablizer rod linkage..

pops to Infiniti of Yorkville, even though I wish Jerry is still here.
Good luck fixing your rattles!

Old 01-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey I had a problem with my 04's windows rattling and they put new screws in the doors and windows. Apparently there was a problem with the original screws being too long coming from the factory so my dealer said that they have to put newer, shorter screws which eliminate the rattling completely, on any 03-04s.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Warranty FACTS

Originally Posted by anto_zava
Hello everyone,

The factory warranty on squeaks and rattles is 4 years/60,000 miles, not the 12/12 adjustment period. If a dealer tries to tell you otherwise, they do not understand Infiniti's policy, or are trying to avoid doing the repair. We don't turn away any noise complaints here, since it is a violation of the franchise agreement to refuse warranty repairs.
A Factory certified used car's warranty is through Infiniti (not the dealer), but will typically not cover squeaks and rattles unless they are caused by a failed part. (This is after the 4/60 expires)
As far as your window streaks, this should be covered, UNLESS you have added tint to the glass, and that is what is touching.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by pentangle
The factory warranty on squeaks and rattles is 4 years/60,000 miles, not the 12/12 adjustment period. If a dealer tries to tell you otherwise, they do not understand Infiniti's policy, or are trying to avoid doing the repair. We don't turn away any noise complaints here, since it is a violation of the franchise agreement to refuse warranty repairs.
A Factory certified used car's warranty is through Infiniti (not the dealer), but will typically not cover squeaks and rattles unless they are caused by a failed part. (This is after the 4/60 expires)
As far as your window streaks, this should be covered, UNLESS you have added tint to the glass, and that is what is touching.
I'm glad to hear a service manager speaking up for quality of service. There are dealers, however, who will quote the 12/12 policy (like Coleman Infiniti Bethesda) as if it were gospel. This is why I won't go to Coleman ane why I always have a TSB in hand when I take my car into Virginia for warranty work. Dealers like Coleman give Infiniti a black eye in my opinion. Getting superior service is why many of us buy Infiniti in the first place. When a dealer quotes the 12/12 at you, he or she make you feel like you purchased a Ford

Old 01-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So what is in the 12,000 mile "adjustment period"? I have not heard of this. I have an 05 G35x with 9000 miles and a few squeks/rattles already, but I figured I would wait until I get a bigger list before I take it in.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:50 PM
PDT
+1 on what pentangle said.

I've had a few TSB performed on my car and I'm way over the 12,000 mile mark!

Old 01-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Adjustments

Originally Posted by johnadlertech
So what is in the 12,000 mile "adjustment period"? I have not heard of this. I have an 05 G35x with 9000 miles and a few squeks/rattles already, but I figured I would wait until I get a bigger list before I take it in.
Adjustments are considered to be repairs that typically do not require a part replacement. Idle adjustments,alignments, door latch adjustments and so on. These are covered for the first 12/12 only.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: window rattling not covered by warranty?