G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Rear Deck Rattles - Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Deck Rattles - Need Help

I have a sort of "click" type of rattle/creak that seems to be coming from the driver side rear deck. If tried the basics like adjusting the seat belts and rear seats, and looking for anything obvious, to no avail. The noise occurs over bumps and even sometimes when turning. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, does anyone have schematics or directions for taking the rear deck apart so I can add some insulation or foam padding?

Thanks for any help!
NIck

Old 08-14-2003, 12:04 AM
IQ9
Re: Rear Deck Rattles - Need Help

I have the same issue and its at the dealer for the second time. Its been three days and all I ahve heard so far is they can't find the source.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 08-16-2003, 12:50 PM

Hi, Nick. If it is actually coming from the rear deck you can climb into the trunk and tap the underside of the deck to locate clicks and buzzes. I don't think the deck has to be removed. Pack in some foam rubber or carpet padding between the deck and the top of the trunk until the noise stops.

My sedan, a 2003.5 built in September '02, made a "clunking" noise - a deeper sounding "click". I initially thought something was loose in the trunk area, like the jack. I tried the tap test to no avail. The dealer, with the help of Nissan/Infiniti tech. support, located two body panels that were improperly welded and were clicking against each other. In this case the deck and rear seats were removed. The panels were repaired. Since then there have been no noises from the trunk or rear deck area.

<font color=blue>Dan</font color=blue>

Old 08-17-2003, 10:35 PM

Dan, what you described sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. I took the rear deck apart this weekend and nothing was rattling there. The sound is more of a popping click sound than a rattle. It even occurs at a crawl when I am barely moving. It doesn't seem like it occurs when a typical "rattle" would, but more like when an stress is put on the body of the car, like during a turn or going over any sort of bump or incline. Do you have your paperwork from the dealer on your fix? It might be very helpful in my quest to get mine fixed.

Thanks!
Nick

Old 08-18-2003, 10:02 AM
IQ9

The dealer found my problem and it was a bad right rear shock,causing the squeaking I was hearing.

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 08-18-2003, 03:08 PM

I also would hear the sound when the chassis flexed. I'll check the service order to see if there is any info.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:58 PM

Nick, here is some info from my work order:
"owner states clunking heard in left rear...found body panel under parcel shelf in left corner making noise...removed interior & adjusted body panels - N0124030759305". I do not know if the number is significant.

Old 08-18-2003, 11:00 PM

Thanks alot Dan, I am scheduled to drop my car off next Monday to have the dealer look at it. Your info has been a huge help, I will relay it to the technician while I'm at the dealer. The noise appears to have gotten louder and more frequent, to the point I can even hear it somewhat with music playing at a decent volume. When listening to talk radio at regular levels the noise is very easily heard. I will let you guys know what the dealer finds out on Monday.

Thanks again!
Nick

Old 08-21-2003, 09:45 AM

Hey Dan, could you let me know the name of the dealership you took your car to for the fix, and perhaps a phone number for them? Also, was there any reference on the work order like a number somewhere that might be in their computers in case they have to look it up?

Sorry to bug you again!

Old 08-26-2003, 10:48 PM

I got my car back from the dealer today, they fixed the rattle! It took them two days, but they finally tracked it down. The service order says "replaced two bolts on rear seat panel". They also went ahead and did the TSB for the rear deck rattle, which eliminated one other small rattle I noticed. The car is so much quieter now, it feels like new again.

If anyone needs more info let me know!

Old 08-27-2003, 03:37 PM

Sorry, but I missed your reply of 8/21. I'm happy to read that your rattles are fixed.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:28 PM

Almost exactly like my symptoms, Afresh. I would also get the clicking when turning and when going over small bumps. I would even hear it when moving at very slow speeds, such as when pulling into my driveway. It was coming from the right rear, sounded like from directly behind the passenger seat.

If a strut is going bad and popping, you *should* be able to hear that form outside the car as well. Might want to have someone drive your car while you stand outside and listen. If you only hear it from the inside, it's not likely a shock/strut.

Old 09-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by afresh
i am experiencing a clicking (seems to come from the r/r side of the car. i can reproduce it when stepping on and off the gas pedal. i think it could be something with the shock/strut or bodypanels. the clicking will happen once when i "roll on" the gas and will "click back" when i take my foot off the gas.

is this consistent with what you guys are experiencing?

-atm
Oh boy. I'm getting this exact noise at the exact times. It's getting obnoxious. Any other '05's starting to get this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Deck Rattles - Need Help