G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

z-tube installed; '05 6mt; impressions & questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
z-tube installed; '05 6mt; impressions & questions.

ok guys, my '05 6mt has over 10k miles, everything is stock. i used different colors for each timeframe.

i installed a z-tube tonight, only the tube, nothing else. it was easy, took 20 mins tops, took a test drive in my neighborhood after warming up the car, and here's what i noticed:
-the car idles the same (just like everyone said).
-but when pushed at wot in 1st gear, it's QUIETER than stock (this is where i'm going )

from what i read on this forum, the z-tube would make the intake louder right? especially at wot? well, my is quieter...moving on.

went back home, checked everything (bolts, screws, leaks), all ok, took it out on the streets this time, here's what i noticed:
-the car pulls the same from a light as before, in 1st gear.
-between 1st and 2nd gear is where i noticed a big difference. before, the engine gargled (pretty loud), now the gargled in gone (not completely, but very noticeable).
-when red-lining in 1st and into 2nd, the car used to push me back into the seat, now it doesn't, the acceleration is still there, but just w/o the umph!

took a long drive on and off freeways and here's what i noticed:
-the car drives a lot smoother, going through all the gears, i couldn't even hear the gargle on the freeway.
-tested w/ the music on like i would normally, the car sounds quieter overall (down shifting or not).
-from 55mph to around 90mph feels the same as before, only quieter.
-going through exit ramps, i usually practice my heel-toe, where before, revving the engine was very noticeable, now, i have to turn down the music to hear the engine rev.

i drove a total of 75 miles tonight and i can definitely say that after installing the z-tube, it neither helped nor hurt the car, just made it quieter and smoother, i'm still confused about the whole "louder intake" thing...i'm pretty incline mechanically, so i just don't get what else could be wrong?

any comments/suggestion welcome,
benjamin

Old 03-03-2006, 03:09 AM
I experienced simular results after I installed the z tube but now I actually notice a difference it seems it just takes a couple hundred miles for it to kick in... I don't know why could be the ecu but now I notice the Z tube.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
When u start the car tomarrow morning when its cold just give some gas u will notice the difference in sound. Only when its cold.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:09 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Add the Stillen HiFlow AirBox or JWT Pop Charger.... You will have no problem hearing the screaming intake at WOT

Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That's very odd...when I installed mine, the difference was noticeable right away (but I have the K&N filter). Maybe that's why?....the OEM filter is restricting your air? Or do you have the K&N in already?

If you're up for quick experimentation, take off the power duct....this has been discussed a few times in other threads. It will make your car scream & sound like you have an aftermarket exhaust....some guys say taking it off increases the air temp going into the engine & you'll decrease power....but it's not noticeable. Let me know if you're up for doing so or if you have any questions about removing it (it's the piece that rests against the hood @ the intake, with the rubber outside)....all you need is a screwdriver to remove it....and it goes right back on if you don't like it.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:19 AM
I have read other threads that concurred with your conclusion (specifically the sound related parts) on the 05-06 6mt rev-up.

I definitely noticed a sound change with my '05 5AT when I installed the z-tube although performance, etc. was exactly the same.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:39 AM
definitly get the JWT popcharger or something to go with it. The car will screem like you have never heard after that it is great.

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2006, 11:56 AM
thanks guys for the replies, but honestly, i can careless about how it sounds. i was just a little confused about what others have posted on the louder sound that comes w/ the z-tube.

maybe it's something w/ the '05 enigne, i'm gonna wait to drive it more like some of you said, then see if it changes (soundwise).

as i was reading the replies, i noticed that most people that recommand the popchager have pre-'05 cars, i read that the popcharger will make more difference in the non-rev-up engine as it would in the rev-up engine, same goes w/ the coupe midpipe, but we won't get into that. i guess we'll just wait and see...

thanks,
benjamin

Old 03-03-2006, 02:20 PM
The sedan mid-pipe on the 2005 is considerably different, i.e. smaller resonator, than the pre-2005s. Therefore the 2005 makes a nicer exhaust note than the 2003-2004s. I suppose that those of us with pre 2005s notice the increased intake note. I know that since I upgraded to the coupe mid-pipe, I don't notice the intake as much, until I really get on the accelerator, then the whole package sings like a tornado!

Old 03-03-2006, 02:30 PM
difference between a pop charger and a K$N cone air intake I have the cone version not the drop in version and to me it looks like the pop charger...

Old 03-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by perry05G35
difference between a pop charger and a K$N cone air intake I have the cone version not the drop in version and to me it looks like the pop charger...
i'm sorry but what's this have to do w/ anything? is this just a general info?

thanks,
benjamin

Old 03-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bww1980
thanks guys for the replies, but honestly, i can careless about how it sounds. i was just a little confused about what others have posted on the louder sound that comes w/ the z-tube.
Just out of curiousity....why did you end up getting the z-tube then?....as it's purely a sound mod.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:54 PM
my hypothesis is that the z tube is just a sound mod until you combine it with a plenum mod. that's where the gains are higher together than if just adding the power of the two mods.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Just out of curiousity....why did you end up getting the z-tube then?....as it's purely a sound mod.
what i meant was, many of you recommanded me getting the popcharger if i want to get that louder sound, but i think the popcharger is a waste of money on my '05, i got the z-tube because it was something new, i was getting bored w/ my car, and thought i spend $50 for something new...sorry for the confusion...i'm just wondering why my car does not have the sound that everyone described.

benjamin

Last edited by bww1980; 03-03-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Because your 2005 already has more sound than the 2003-2004s. Due to the smaller mid-pipe resonator, your 2005 sounds really "bad" compared to the previous years. The Ztube alone won't make as much noticable sound on your 2005 as it does on the previous years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: z-tube installed; '05 6mt; impressions & questions.