G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Clear Bra and Wax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clear Bra and Wax

Well i just bought my G last night and i purchased the clear bra from the dealership. The guy told me that they put somekind of special polimer (not sure about spelling) wax and the guy said that i wont ever have to wax it. Anyway they wanted $695 and i talked to the guy and got it for $475 is this a good deal and have any of you head of this kinda wax? Sorry if this sint where this belongs i looked around and couldnt find another place for it.

Thanks

Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G??
Well i just bought my G last night and i purchased the clear bra from the dealership. The guy told me that they put somekind of special polimer (not sure about spelling) wax and the guy said that i wont ever have to wax it. Anyway they wanted $695 and i talked to the guy and got it for $475 is this a good deal and have any of you head of this kinda wax? Sorry if this sint where this belongs i looked around and couldnt find another place for it.

Thanks
Hmm.. Sounds like you paid $475 wax job that will probably last 6 months. Ain't no **** gonna last forever, Polymer or no polymer.

Good choice on the Clear Bra though... That's by far the best investment.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid $650 for my clear bra which covered the front bumper, headlights, mirrors, and part of the hood. The installer said that I could wash and wax over the clear bra. The clear bra is made of a polyurethane, if Iam remember correctly.

Now the dealership offers an enviromental protection package which is $495 dollars, here where I live. It includes putting a teflon coating on the exterior and somekind of protection on all interior surfaces.

So which one did you get??

Old 03-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by G??

Thanks
That stuff is nothing but BS - unless you have a chemical bond w/the clear itself, there is no such thing as a "forever wax". And if it was chemical bond, the surface would have to be 100% free of any contaminates, which as soon as it leaves the factory it's contaminated. Otherwise these contaminates will be bonded to the paint along w/the chemical.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:07 AM
RLampke:

Your correct in saying never having to wax. With the environmental package that the dealership puts on the car, they give a kit with special wax to use so it will not take off the telfon coating on the exterior. They say you can use any kind of car wash and for the inside the also give you a special leather cleaner/conditioner. They also recommend using Lexol

Old 03-09-2006, 02:03 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmykce1
I paid $650 for my clear bra which covered the front bumper, headlights, mirrors, and part of the hood. The installer said that I could wash and wax over the clear bra. The clear bra is made of a polyurethane, if Iam remember correctly.

Now the dealership offers an enviromental protection package which is $495 dollars, here where I live. It includes putting a teflon coating on the exterior and somekind of protection on all interior surfaces.

So which one did you get??
+1.

C.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
I paid just over $400 for the new version 3M clear bra on my bumper cover, 18" of hood, A-pillars, mirrors, door edges, headlights, side skirts and lower half of the front doors.

The guy told me I don't have to but it helps if you still wax it.

Old 03-09-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm a little confused too. A Clear Bra is a piece of polyurethane (for lack of a better word, plastic) that an installer puts on top of your paint. It is not a wax or polish. So, did you get that at the dealer or is it one of those "paint protection" scam that they also sell (which is just basically a wax job)? And there is NO way that you never have to wax your car, even with the real Clear Bra installed you still need to wax your car.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:26 PM
I thought that the never waxing was a bunch of bs but thats not a biggie im just want to get that bra on not sure what all it covers i know the hood and mirrors.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by G??
I thought that the never waxing was a bunch of bs but thats not a biggie im just want to get that bra on not sure what all it covers i know the hood and mirrors.
Full Kit: covers the front bumper,mirrors, 18" of hood, headlights.

Basic Kit: covers the lights, mirrors, and 18" of the hood

Old 03-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by jimmykce1
Full Kit: covers the front bumper,mirrors, 18" of hood, headlights.

Basic Kit: covers the lights, mirrors, and 18" of the hood
I got the full kit of 3M film for $550 (was a special at the time). The film has a clear coat that allows you to wash and wax it like the rest of the car's paint. The installers recommended I use a spray wax on the film rather than anything more abrasive.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by bwassul
I got the full kit of 3M film for $550 (was a special at the time). The film has a clear coat that allows you to wash and wax it like the rest of the car's paint. The installers recommended I use a spray wax on the film rather than anything more abrasive.
Well, I had a small scratch on my 3M mask, and when I called 3M about how to deal with it, they told me to use 3M One-Step Cleaner Wax Medium, and it worked, it was a couple of fingernail scratches, it's not cheap, but I since have used it to remove a light scratch on my rear quarter panel, works great! This is my second G with 3M and I have waxed both, never had a problem.

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 03-10-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by bwassul
My installer told me the same thing. His reason was to avoid the white residue build-up (on the edges of the 3M) caused by waxing the car.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
My installer told me the same thing. His reason was to avoid the white residue build-up (on the edges of the 3M) caused by waxing the car.
That is the only thing I have had a prob with, wax on the edge. By spray on, do you mean you don't wipe it off, or is it like a detail spray?

Old 03-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Originally Posted by G??

Thanks
So did you get the clear bra or the permashield crap. If they said they put some kind of polimere on it, than that's probably what it is. Don't trust them that you will never have to wax it. If you have a clear bra, I've been told that waxing it is part of the maintenance involved.

695 seems like a decent price. But make sure you find a qualified installer. The clear bra is only as good as the installer that installs it, so make sure you get your info about who the dealership uses.

I got mine from a local installer, but I wish I had gotten it from Premier. They are the most acknowledged by the exotic guys. Check out their site for some serious eye candy.

www.premiermobilegroup.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra and Wax