G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

'06 G35x and ending a lease

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '06 G35x and ending a lease

I've had my G for about 3 months now, and while I was really excited about it while researching and taking a couple of test drives, I've very quickly grown to hate it. It's lots of small things -- Bluetooth and Sirius radio problems, heated seats not working, rattles, really bad gas mileage (19mpg on mostly highway). While the sales folks at the dealer (Pepe in White Plains, NY) were super, the service folks have been pretty useless.

I just hit 5000 miles on it, and unfortunately, really get bummed to think about having to keep it for another three years. I have no clue what I'd replace it with, but I just am getting a really bad feeling about what the next few years will be like. Did I get a "bad" G? Possibly. I just don't want to hang around to find out. I did this with my last two cars (Saabs) and thought with a Japanese engineered and built auto, I wouldn't have all the quirks I've run into.

I know I can't just break the lease and give the car back to IFS, but do I have any options here? Can I somehow sell it back to them and only wind up getting moderately hosed? Or am I basically going to be stuck with it, unless a giant meteor happens to land on it in the driveway?

Old 03-22-2006, 02:30 AM
19 MPG? is that in heavy traffic on the highway?

I get close to 27 MPG on highways where I live (not much traffic) and 19 MPG in town.

Ya the heated seats in my 350z suck to, I can hardly feel them.

As far as rattles goes, I've yet to own a car that didnt have a few. As far as the Bluetooth goes I've read in my computer magazine that a lot of cars are having problems with it, thats the problem when they introduce new techonology into cars, the 1st people are always the ginnie pigs

Pretty sure your stuck with the car unless you can find someone to take over the lease.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:08 AM
19mpg on the highway with little or no traffic, about 15 miles each way to/from work. Sometimes it's 40 each way if travels take me further, also with little or no traffic. Usually do about 70-75mph, have tried it with and without cruise control and not much difference. It's also with 93 octane, fwiw.

My old Saab 9-5 SE (3.0 V6) would get about 23mpg consistently with the same travels, and also was quoted for 17/24, if I remember correctly. I figured with the G I'd be closer to 24 than 20, but it's just not happening.

The seat heaters don't seem to do anything, except give you a little yellow light when they're on. Hardly any part of the seat gets warm, and even on high it's pretty weak. That's "normal" according to the dealer.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:12 AM
Also, the Bluetooth problem is not that the phone (a BlackBerry 8700) and the car don't get along, it's just that the microphone in the car is garbage. Even if I'm stopped, people complain that I sound like I'm in a cave. It's totally unusable if I'm on the highway. No caller ID display is strike #2 against the setup.

If the radio can say "TELEPHONE" when it's being told by the phone a call is coming in, it could just as easily put the caller's number. Definitely a last-minute rush job on the part of someone (audio or nav vendor?), but ultimately shame on Infiniti for putting a half-assed product out.

Ditto with the Sirius display scrolling.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Your options are basically someone like "Leasebusters" who find a lease take over for you. (at a cost of course)

The other is to sell privately and exercise your buyout option.
Basically the buyer pays IFS the agreed sale amount & you make up the difference.
... which unfortunately in your case will be a significant hit.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:39 AM
That sucks that you're unhappy with your ride. I love my 06x. My heated seats are fine and get my butt nice and toasty. I don't have bluetooth so I can't comment on that and I haven't noticed any rattles yet so can't comment on that either.

As for getting out of your lease, it is possible but you'll probably take a big hit. Best thing to do is to try to sell it privately. Call IFS and ask them what they pay-off is. I'm sure it will be pretty high and close to what MSRP was since you are leasing and your payments probably didn't even touch principal. List your car for sale and hopefully, someone will pay that price or at least close to it so you won't have to owe as much. The next option is a lease takeover where someone takes over the remainder of your lease. Another way to get rid of it is to trade it in but you will take a large hit. You will get trade-in value (probably upper 20K's) and the difference in that and the pay-off will be added to the final price of the new car.

Good luck, man.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Oh man.. 2 freaky.
I have 06 g35x, bt and sirius, almost bought from pepe (bought from kings in brooklyn instead).... and i have 5000k miles!!!!

I love my ride, no rattles and bt and sirius is prob my favorite features on the car!!

Your points on the lack of caller id and display not scrolling on the radio are valid, but honestly it could be worse.. alot worse.

My bros in law has a 06 amg c55, his bt is da suck tastic. Its a motorola after market unit that they slap in, theres no integration with the head unit (no muting radio), doesnt use the phone button on the steering wheel. The fone buttons were designed for the plug in type integration and are completely seperated from the moto bt unit they installed.

I believe Audi works the same way.(A4 anyway)

So if you want to criticize the rush job on the Inf, at least they did it better than audi and mercedes.

FWIW my sound clairty is dependent on the signal, who's yer carrier? I have verizon and most of the time ppl tell me how clear the sound is. Only time ive had someone complain was when i was in analog roam.

Radio display is a little annoying but theres nothing u cant get at with a little fiddling with the display button....

Did u get the navi? cus thats the same story, its a little annoying 2, but its better than audi and mercedes!!!

Think of it this way, you could have paid more and gotten worse.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by burgerdeluxe
I've had my G for about 3 months now, and while I was really excited about it while researching and taking a couple of test drives, I've very quickly grown to hate it. It's lots of small things -- Bluetooth and Sirius radio problems, heated seats not working, rattles, really bad gas mileage (19mpg on mostly highway). While the sales folks at the dealer (Pepe in White Plains, NY) were super, the service folks have been pretty useless.

I just hit 5000 miles on it, and unfortunately, really get bummed to think about having to keep it for another three years. I have no clue what I'd replace it with, but I just am getting a really bad feeling about what the next few years will be like. Did I get a "bad" G? Possibly. I just don't want to hang around to find out. I did this with my last two cars (Saabs) and thought with a Japanese engineered and built auto, I wouldn't have all the quirks I've run into.

I know I can't just break the lease and give the car back to IFS, but do I have any options here? Can I somehow sell it back to them and only wind up getting moderately hosed? Or am I basically going to be stuck with it, unless a giant meteor happens to land on it in the driveway?
I here ya, and I'm actually working w/the regional Infiniti rep to get out of mine - still an ongoing process. but I have these and a-lot more problems. This car is the most disappointing car I've owned, hands down. I would have been better off getting the Maxima for less $$$, for this car is not worthy of this class. Anyhow, if that doesn't work for you, go on swapalease.com, this site is designed to get you into, or out of your current lease. It works well and it has great exposure. Better dump it now for the new G37 is coming, and the residuals will be dropping like a stone, so now is the time to get out. It will no doubt cost you $$$ - like your down payment, but if really dislike your G35 as I do, I'm willing to concede that.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by burgerdeluxe
19mpg on the highway with little or no traffic, about 15 miles each way to/from work. Sometimes it's 40 each way if travels take me further, also with little or no traffic. Usually do about 70-75mph, have tried it with and without cruise control and not much difference. It's also with 93 octane, fwiw.

My old Saab 9-5 SE (3.0 V6) would get about 23mpg consistently with the same travels, and also was quoted for 17/24, if I remember correctly. I figured with the G I'd be closer to 24 than 20, but it's just not happening.

The seat heaters don't seem to do anything, except give you a little yellow light when they're on. Hardly any part of the seat gets warm, and even on high it's pretty weak. That's "normal" according to the dealer.
I also had a 9-5, and yes the seat heaters were great - something about a car designed near the Arctic Circle. That said, the heaters in my G work very well. I do notice, though, that when on HI one can feel them cycle on-and-off. Me thinks your Infiniti dealer doesn't want to deal w/your problem.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by kki000
FWIW my sound clairty is dependent on the signal, who's yer carrier? I have verizon and most of the time ppl tell me how clear the sound is. Only time ive had someone complain was when i was in analog roam.
Cingular and Nextel (BlackBerry 8700c and 7100i), same results. It's because the microphone is in a bad spot -- near the sunroof, instead of the visor or A-pillar. I kind of have to tilt my head up and to the right (very bad idea when moving) for people to hear me well.

Did u get the navi? cus thats the same story, its a little annoying 2, but its better than audi and mercedes!!!

Think of it this way, you could have paid more and gotten worse.
You are very correct. But as someone else hinted at, I paid a premium but other than AWD, haven't fared much better than a Maxima. Not sure what kind of quality problems they've been having lately, and I know the Nissan dealers around here make Pepe's guys seem scholars and gentlemen.

I actually like the G35 navigation, except for the fact that there's no touchscreen.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Just fwiw, residuals don't drop like a stone when a model is replaced by a newer version, the same as re-sales don't plummet. Those are both myths fuelled by a few isolated cases. A car like the G, which a history of reliability and performance for the money (even though for obvious reasons you two guys disagree), is not going to take a huge hit when the G37 comes out.

It's too bad when folks get bum G's that make them hate the brand, but I totally understand (I had some bad VW's). Overall it's been a huge success for good reasons. In any event instead of ending a lease I would pursue lemon'ing the car if you continue to have issues with it. It will take more time but save you more money.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:04 PM
The swapalease site looks interesting, but it sounds like a headache and I'm not sure parting with $2 or $3k is worth it. I almost feel like being a pain in the **** to the dealer until they fix the stupidity (noises, heated seats, figure out why the mileage sucks) would be more satisfying than a new car. Maybe I'm just a weirdo in that regard. I guess I can also try a different dealer for service.

I hope that Saab hangs in there until '09, because I'll be running back.

Maybe someday everyone will have 24 hour test drives like GM tried a few years ago. That would really clean up a lot of manufacturer's acts.

The problems I've had probably aren't lemon-y enough since they haven't affected the safety or usability of the car. The closest I get is crapola gas mileage, and since it's within the range (even though it's at the very low end), I doubt it would matter compared to busted trannies, failed brakes, etc.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by picus112
It's too bad when folks get bum G's that make them hate the brand, but I totally understand (I had some bad VW's). Overall it's been a huge success for good reasons. In any event instead of ending a lease I would pursue lemon'ing the car if you continue to have issues with it. It will take more time but save you more money.
Believe me, I'm happy for thoes who are happy w/their cars and do not have the problems that I have - I wish I was one of them.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems, burgerdeluxe. I've just replaced my 03.5 G35 sedan (accident) with an 05 sedan last June and have not had any of the problems you mentioned. Don't have the BT, be happy the Sirius is not FM aftermarket. (Agree the display could be better showing all ID Tag info, also more $$$ to have this in a touchscreen though)
The heated seats are not right. I haven't had any rattles yet, but there is a thread with pictures showing where all the typical rattles are and how to fix, if you like to do it yourself. (Perfect lazy mans fix for rattles is the volume control on the radio )
City 19 mpg Hwy 23 mpg (50 mile commute, 40 mile of it in heavy traffic)
Anyway, I would take it to another dealership, explain to them what's been happening and get a loaner until they fix everything. Don't take the hit, demand the satisfaction!

Old 03-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The seats in my 04.5 coupe get HOT with the heater on high (even with a long leather coat on) - take it to the dealer and tell them to REPLACE them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '06 G35x and ending a lease