G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Staggered setup on "X"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bro, you just brought up a Lambo and a Porsche.

Don't you think that because they are so expensive their AWD systems are a bit different than say Infiniti's, Subaru's, and Audi's?

Just a thought.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nardeezy
Also, the G35X AWD was designed mainly for winter conditions, not high competition (like the Porsche or Lambo).
Quite untrue. The Attesa-ets is derivative of the Attesa-ets-pro from the GTR. Hardly a 'winter conditions' system as posted.

Please do some research!

If you would like to see porsche vs. g35X, see video #2.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Lambo and Porsche are exceptions. They are specifically designed to be staggered due to the fact of the dynamics of the vehicle (mid or rear engine). The weight distribution would need wider tires in the rear to keep the car planted.

As far as design intent, I'm pretty sure the "Infiniti G35X" was designed and marketed for folks who drive in the snow. All you have to do is watch the U.S. commercials. First of all, we're talking about a staggered setup on an awd vehicle. You can ask many people their opinion and you will probably get a good number of yays and nays. What I am saying is that it's okay to run a staggered setup on an AWD vehicle, just keep in mind what you have to do. If the rolling diameters are not the same the ECU/OBD or whatever it's called may detect a wheel overspeed or you may burn out one of the three differentials in the drive line. If you were to go to the Infiniti dealer they would not recommend you running a staggered setup on the X and may even void a driveline warranty if you do put a setup of staggered wheels.

I can care less of the Japanese version of the G35X or whatever other cars using the same technology and performance/track comparisons. I'm just trying to help KrazyEd in his decision making and hopefully he researches into other AWD vehicles running staggered setups and why.

Last edited by nardeezy; 03-25-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry you can "care less," but the technology is identical between Japanese and American sedans.

I do not recommend running a staggered setup. I do, however, care about the accuracy of info posted about my car.

You obviously don't have a grasp on the tech, so I would be wary of your responses.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMike

Don't you think that because they are so expensive their AWD systems are a bit different than say Infiniti's, Subaru's, and Audi's?

Just a thought.
You can run different widths on WRX, STi, Evo, GSX, and S4... but like stated above, the overall diameter should be kept the same.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I'm sorry you can "care less," but the technology is identical between Japanese and American sedans.

I do not recommend running a staggered setup. I do, however, care about the accuracy of info posted about my car.

You obviously don't have a grasp on the tech, so I would be wary of your responses.
First of all, we're just talking about a staggered setup on an AWD car (G35X, M35X, etc), plain and simple. I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. I don't care about the technology, what I am talking about is the U.S. "American" marketing technique and the "intended for use". They do not market the Infiniti G35x, Cadillac CTS AWD, Jaguar S-Type AWD like Subaru markets the WRX or Porsche markets the Carrera 4's. For Infiniti, they don't show the guy speeding thru the snow like he's in a rally race. This has nothing to do with Japan and the U.S. using the same technology or whatever. This is about KrazyEd inquiring about an AWD setup on a X.

I know guys that run staggered setups on the following cars: Audi Quattro's, Mercedes-Benz R500 (AWD), Lexus GS300 AWD for looks and they have not had any issues. It is not recommeded to use a staggered application on an AWD vehicle but if you keep the rolling diameters exactly the same (0% difference) from front and rear than you should not have a problem. Even better, if you can look up the allowable tolerance for the mfg. it may even be up to 3% which gives you more wheel/tire options.

If you plan on taking your car to the track or driving super aggressive on the streets and you think a staggered setup will make your AWD perform better, it won't. You will increase your chance of understeer in hard cornering.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Also, if you want that staggered look without different width wheels/tires you can always check out the Axis "maxis lip" technology (www.axiswheels.com) or have custom wheels made (www.iforged.com) to have different offsets in the rear showing a wider lip in the rear. A lot of guys that run AWD's or FWD's use this type of setup.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dofu
You can run different widths on WRX, STi, Evo, GSX, and S4... but like stated above, the overall diameter should be kept the same.
That's news to me...one of my friends used to have an Audi and he told me the AWD was as such that he couldn't run staggered.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Lip
Originally Posted by MikeyMike

Just a thought.
On the surface, that's how it would appear.

The ability to run a staggered wheel setup has little to do with the quality of the system. It could be just as much a function of electronics design as physical design. Last I checked the Murcielago only puts up to 25% of it's power to the fronts. It's system is designed to neutralize the handling as others have suggested-

There is no real need for a staggered setup on a stock Nissan, S4, or STI. On cars like the S4, the STI/Legacy GT or the G35x, as it would only serve to increase understeer in most cases.
These systems are designed to apply power proportionatly, and are designed to spread the power around as needed without concern for variable wheel dimensions. In stock configuration, as others have suggested, there is a small variation allowed before the system starts doing it's thing trying to correct what it believes is slip. This is a funtion of a program- Change the parameters, and you could run a staggered setup.

And you could argue that the G, Sube, and Audi use more sophisticated systems than might be found in the Lamborgini, actually they do- You could argue, many have, that an EVO with Super AYC is the most sophisticated system on the market and that car costs around $40k-
Will this allow you to raise your nose to the Turbo driver? No, of course not.