G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

130 mph in my g35x today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Strtsk8r321
I know a lot of people would hate this but I think driving with cell phones should be illegal unless you have bluetooth or a headset.
This doesn't make any sense. I live in NY and it IS illegal to drive while using your cell without having a headset on. It does absolutely NOTHING by way of improving my driving skills. It's not the physical act of holding the cell phone up to your head that affects your driving.. it's the conversation being had on the phone that distracts the driver. In fact, I think it's even WORSE to have to use headsets because I have to stick the thing on my ear while driving and then dial the # I want to call. No voice dialing here!

Also, I have the Goodyears on my X and the handling is 500x better than with the Bridgestones on my loaner... especially when changing lanes at 80 mph+.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JGFox
This doesn't make any sense. I live in NY and it IS illegal to drive while using your cell without having a headset on. It does absolutely NOTHING by way of improving my driving skills. It's not the physical act of holding the cell phone up to your head that affects your driving.. it's the conversation being had on the phone that distracts the driver. In fact, I think it's even WORSE to have to use headsets because I have to stick the thing on my ear while driving and then dial the # I want to call. No voice dialing here!

Also, I have the Goodyears on my X and the handling is 500x better than with the Bridgestones on my loaner... especially when changing lanes at 80 mph+.
It does make some sense. Just look at the guy/girl driving a manual, starting from a stop, with the phone tucked between their ear and shoulder. Are they aware of their surroundings? Nope. At least w/ an earpiece, you can keep your head on a swivel. Seems like some dad taking the fam on a Sunday drive talking and looking/pointing at the scenery is likely more distracted than someone talking on a head set.

I don't mean to state that just b/c there are worse distractions, cells should be ok. I'm more of an all or nothing guy, but it would be very difficult to outlaw cell usage all together. The headset things are sort of a compromise.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:37 AM
^^ Oops, off topic. My bad.

How about when you're in tripple digits & you have to brake quickly. My impression is that she's sure footed. My run was on a two lane road with "imperfections". I bet speed on a freeway would be smooth like butta.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:38 PM
^it is smooth like butta. You just kinda float along.

Old 03-29-2006, 01:31 AM
Banned
nice piece of art, that wrecked G made. i like how wheels stay un damaged. gotta love them wheels.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:13 AM
^That was a Subaru WRX

Old 03-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by STI&G35X
. in Germany, they train people to drive at higher speeds, and yet, they still have less crashs there than we have per year.
I wonder... r der alot of yung ppl in gErmAny dat go like 130mphr cuz itz da ****z?

There are less you say?

Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
I lived/worked in Germany for a couple of years recently. And yes, I did drive really fast sometimes in my Passat station wagon ...
- It is hard & expensive to get a license but you get it for life. There is no re-certification.
- Many highways are unlimited on speed but there is frequent construction and traffic. Also, you are required to drive in a "reasonable fashion".
- The "recommended" speed limit is 130kph or about 80mph. Not many people drive faster than that because it costs too much with $5 gas.
- On any long trip the highest average speed I EVER achieved was ~75mph due to traffic, etc. I do better in the USA and don't even risk a ticket.

With all this, it is NOT SAFE. You can be cuising along at 250kph and a truck will pull out in front of you at 80kph. The fastlane is filled with marks from brake skids (some are mine). The steel divider between lanes is frequently bent 6-9 feet our of shape. When they have accidents people die fast.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:10 PM
It also takes a long a$$ time to get a license in Germany.

Cars are getting safer, but our speed limits are staying the same. We also have more accidents every year and thats because any idiot can get a license in this country. Everyone speeds plain and simple......well most do.

I speed alot and see triples on regular basis, but I do it @ the right time with no other cars on the highway. Thats why I bought my G and not a FWD Lexus.....which some of you should really look into.

People that speed alot are better drivers than the people that follow the speed limit (IMO)and thats because offensive drivers seem to pay better attention to their surroundings. Thinking "Im following the rules of the road so I cant get into an accident" will only get you so far.

Not to mention having a better feel for the car and knowing how to react in certain situations.

Its like a person that has never been in an over-steer situation.....they tell you in drivers ed to counter-steer, but most of us know there is more to that.

Last edited by nr2134; 03-29-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nr2134
It also takes a long a$$ time to get a license in Germany also.

Cars are getting safer, but our speed limits are staying the same. We also have more accidents every year and thats because any idiot can get a license in this country. Everyone speeds plain and simple......well most do.

I speed alot and see triples on regular basis, but I do it @ the right time with no other cars on the highway. Thats why I bought my G and not a FWD Lexus.....which some of you should really look into.

People that speed alot are better drivers than the people that follow the speed limit (IMO)and thats because offensive drivers seem to pay better attention to their surroundings. Thinking "Im following the rules of the road so I cant get into an accident" will only get you so far.

Not to mention having a better feel for the car and knowing how to react in certain situations.

Its like a person that has never been in an over-steer situation.....they tell you in drivers ed to counter-steer, but most of us know there is more to that.
Very good point.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by nr2134
Oh, I think I'd argue that offensive drivers do not pay better attention. Generally, the aggressive/offensive driver is the one that thinks he/she owns the road and is generally racing around people, passing on the right, moving over 3-4 lanes in a maneuver.

A defensive driver is one that drives predictibly and with the rest of traffic - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Yes, this can be done at great speeds.

The stragglers that sit in the left lane, forcing people to pass on the right, only to cut 4 lanes over, 100 ft before his/her exit is just as dangerous as the aggressive guy.

Just this morning, I was on my way into the office and saw this girl in a Toyota Celica, just zipping in and out of traffic - signalling, but not until she was already in the other lane. It's peope like that that I wish I worked with - I'd reem them left, right and center once seeing them at the office.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Someone on my street just lost control and up a hill and right into a tree @ 70mph and died instantly.

Just yesterdya i saw a car flipped over and layin on its roof.

Life is precious, don't speed. Im not trying to sound like your mother, but it just takes that 1 second. Don't think it cant happen to you.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:02 PM
^You can die not speeding too.

Drive smart. Dont drive slow and like an idiot. If the speed limit is 60 and everyones doing 75 80, dont sit in the lane doing 55. Thats what gets people killed.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Oh, I think I'd argue that offensive drivers do not pay better attention. Generally, the aggressive/offensive driver is the one that thinks he/she owns the road and is generally racing around people, passing on the right, moving over 3-4 lanes in a maneuver.
See...thats not a responsible offensive driver...........thats a dumb a$$.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 PM
What do u guys mean speed limit ? Whats this

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 130 mph in my g35x today