G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

18 Month Maintenance Service - received in mail

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
18 Month Maintenance Service - received in mail

Hello all,

I received a letter from Infiniti a few days ago saying my car (bought at end of Dec 04) is due for 18 month maintenance. Is this the same as the 15k service?

My G is currently at 9,700 miles since I don't drive much. So far it's only gotten oil changes every 3 months or so. No other maintenance is done except for some of the stuffs from the service bulletin. Last time I bought my car in and they said I am due for the 7,500 miles maintenance and I find it amusing to shell out money for that so I just said "nah...I don't need it"

I do plan to go for the 15k service but only after my car reaches those miles which is probably at the end of this year.

I'll save money by changing the cabin filter myself, rotate tires, etc. Also bought PIAA blades already so no need to replace them per the manual. On the manual it saids they'll install "fuel injector cleaner". Are those the $5 or $6 bottle fuel injector cleaners you pick up from the auto stores or are these infiniti specific injector cleaners?

I mean, this 15k service is kinda BS and such a waste by reading the list. Most of them are just visual inspections. Personally I don't think much can go wrong at this early of a stage.

You guys think it's ok that I am ignoring this letter and just going for my first service at 15k miles when I do hit that mark later on, perhaps at end of 06?

Thanks...

On the manual it also said flush brake fluid / transmission flush/ injection service (not sure what that is) are recommended every 2 yr or 30k miles. Is that necessary?

Last edited by mikeee2; 04-05-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:42 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
you dont need to do the 15K service until you hit 15K... period
-GP-

Old 04-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
you dont need to do the 15K service until you hit 15K... period
-GP-
Thanks! That's what I want to hear.

By the way GP, did you get your new rims yet?

Old 04-05-2006, 01:46 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

nope, i've had to spend money on some other stuff lately, plus the new tires i want just became available this month, hopefully i'll have em by may. i'm still indecisive on the color.
-GP-

Old 04-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
nope, i've had to spend money on some other stuff lately, plus the new tires i want just became available this month, hopefully i'll have em by may. i'm still indecisive on the color.
-GP-
Gotcha...looking forward for them.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:49 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

me too, lol
-GP-

Old 04-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I go by mileage too, rather than time.

With my truck, at only 4K/year, I try to do things like oil changes at least every 6 months, since some things like oil need to be changed since they can accumulate water when not driven a lot.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey Bobby, I think if you drive snow and salty roads (like we do) it is good to service the brakes once a year. Just to clean them up and lube the pins, etc.
I also think it is good to do brake and tranny flushes every couple of years.
Wayne

Old 04-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you received in the mail was more of an advertizement than a hard core reminder of the required service. I get them early all the time too. I seem to be a constant month and a half behind their anticipated service intervals for my car.

Changing the cabin filter and air filter are great ways to save big money but save your reciepts as proof . When you do finally do go in for service you can select items you want to have done ala carte from the laundry list of options.

The fuel system cleaner they use is probably BG 44k. This stuff is like $25 a can. The word on the web is that you aren't supposed to be able to obtain off the shelf at the local store since this stuff is for professionals only. I've heard NAPA has it sometimes and I've bought it myself from E-bay. It is supposed to be like four times more concentrated than Techron you get off the shelf.

I have asked my dealership about waiving inspections in the past. No problem,they said, "I've never voided a warranty yet due to a waived inspection. They are more for catching problems before parts fail so we can service the car under warranty on Infiniti's dime." Based on that I'd wait until the car has six months to a year left on the warranty and then pay for some inspections. I'd probably also have some fluids changed while still under warranty so if the maintence throws some flags the parts can be serviced under warranty.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Hey Bobby, I think if you drive snow and salty roads (like we do) it is good to service the brakes once a year. Just to clean them up and lube the pins, etc.
I also think it is good to do brake and tranny flushes every couple of years.
Wayne
Thanks for the advice Wayne. Where have you been? You haven't been active on the forum? Neither am I though, been a bit hectic since I'll be starting a new job next week.

So you've done what kinda brake service on your G now and how many miles you have?

Bobby

Old 04-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by bltzkrg
What you received in the mail was more of an advertizement than a hard core reminder of the required service. I get them early all the time too. I seem to be a constant month and a half behind their anticipated service intervals for my car.

Changing the cabin filter and air filter are great ways to save big money but save your reciepts as proof . When you do finally do go in for service you can select items you want to have done ala carte from the laundry list of options.

The fuel system cleaner they use is probably BG 44k. This stuff is like $25 a can. The word on the web is that you aren't supposed to be able to obtain off the shelf at the local store since this stuff is for professionals only. I've heard NAPA has it sometimes and I've bought it myself from E-bay. It is supposed to be like four times more concentrated than Techron you get off the shelf.

I have asked my dealership about waiving inspections in the past. No problem,they said, "I've never voided a warranty yet due to a waived inspection. They are more for catching problems before parts fail so we can service the car under warranty on Infiniti's dime." Based on that I'd wait until the car has six months to a year left on the warranty and then pay for some inspections. I'd probably also have some fluids changed while still under warranty so if the maintence throws some flags the parts can be serviced under warranty.
Thanks for your info. Yeah, towards the end of the warranty then I'll definitely bring it in to have things inspected.

So you saying you can uncheck specific things like "inspect tire wear", ? How much does that save? $10 bucks

Old 04-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Thanks for the advice Wayne. Where have you been? You haven't been active on the forum? Neither am I though, been a bit hectic since I'll be starting a new job next week.

So you've done what kinda brake service on your G now and how many miles you have?

Bobby
Yes I noticed you weren't around also. I was on the board too much, so I tried to spend less time on it, which is pretty difficult.
I have over 19,000 miles on my X now. I had my brakes checked on the dealers regular brake inspection at 12 months. Lots of wear left on them. I started getting the brakes dissassembled and cleaned up once per year a few years ago on my cars because I was getting siezed callipers and pistons sometimes (because of excessive salt used on the roads, I figure). I have never had a problem since. I think it is good preventative maintenance when driving in our enviroment.
Are you going to the NYIAS, if so take pics for us.
Good luck on the new job Bobby.
Wayne

Old 04-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Yes I noticed you weren't around also. I was on the board too much, so I tried to spend less time on it, which is pretty difficult.
I have over 19,000 miles on my X now. I had my brakes checked on the dealers regular brake inspection at 12 months. Lots of wear left on them. I started getting the brakes dissassembled and cleaned up once per year a few years ago on my cars because I was getting siezed callipers and pistons sometimes (because of excessive salt used on the roads, I figure). I have never had a problem since. I think it is good preventative maintenance when driving in our enviroment.
Are you going to the NYIAS, if so take pics for us.
Good luck on the new job Bobby.
Wayne
Yeah, I haven't been too active. Plus, I was on vacation last week also (went to Italy and Rome ). I love being on the forum but at the same time it drains alot of my time too.

Yes, I am going to NY auto show for sure. I have the invitation from Infiniti to the first showing before the public but I am not sure if have time to attend that day. Either way, if I can't make it on the first day then it'll be on the weekends. I'll have plenty of pics of the new G (even though by then some of the fellow new yorkers might of post it already). Either way, no two pics are identical so I'll post mines as soon as I can.

Thanks for wishing me luck.
Bobby

P.S. If anyone has specific request pictures on the new G...let me know and I'll try my best. Pics of dashboard, glove compartment, carpets, or whatever you feel like...