G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Performancenissanparts.com

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason, again according to Andy, was that they are not a G35 sponser AND the people updating on the 350Z site took it upon themselves to do that, they were not authorized to do it

Old 04-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by MiamiG35sedan
I really don't understand this and other similar attitudes in this thread.

Fraud and theft has always been a reality and will only continue to increase because stealing is getting easier and law enforcement has not caught up.

It's a fact of life and get over it. What is so bad about this situation that you would never do business with them again? So it takes 2 minutes on an automated line to request a new CC card, big deal. So it takes 10 days to get the new card, big deal? If this puts you in a financial bind then you shouldn't be buying things on credit to begin with anyways.

The bottom line is that most CC's today don't hold you liable for fraudulent charges. Anyone using a DC for anything other than ATM or self service over the counter transactions (where you have full control over the processing) is naive and taking unecessary risks. True, most banks don't hold you liable when you use a DC too, but now you've put your bank account at direct risk and recovering funds will take time.

PNP's response was very proper under the circumstances. Their data was hacked around April 12 or 13, and I received the letter on the East Coast on the 17th. What more can one ask for? Unless someone can show PNP was remiss or negligent in securing their data, then back off.

I can't believe how unreasonable so many people on this board are (same thing with many dealer and factory customer service complaints). Many need to take a breath and try to see things from the other person's point of view.
That's all fine and good, BUT PNP had an obligation to secure our sensitive personal data and obviously they failed to do that. It's their duty, as online retailers, to make sure something like this doesn't happen. We entrusted our credit card numbers with them and they couldn't keep them safe. I do business with quite a few online retailers and I've never had anything like this happen before. How are we supposed to trust them again?

Old 04-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Trust cannot be forced rather it has to be earned. It appears to have been earned and lost and the only way to get it back is to earn it.

I am an IT guy and this stuff is going to happen nad I have deal with SoBox and HIPAA evrryday. Info Sec is something that shouldn't take a break. I do agree there can be reasons for a compromise but I firmly believe there is no excuse for it.

The onus is upon the merchant to secure this information and audit for intrusions. The purchaser has every right to be disgruntled and can take his/her business any where tehy please becasue the custoemr only has to see it from their own side. The merchant on the other hand is the body that has to see it from both sides.

Bashing people becasue they feel let down by a merchant will do nothing positive for the merchant nor is it going to help foster a better relationship with the fellow members.

Let the merchant plea their case and state what their action plan is for remediating this matter. Anyone in business will tell you the customer is king and the merchant is servant.

Despite not having a paying customer I apply this same philosphy in my line of work and it has served me well.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
That's all fine and good, BUT PNP had an obligation to secure our sensitive personal data and obviously they failed to do that. It's their duty, as online retailers, to make sure something like this doesn't happen. We entrusted our credit card numbers with them and they couldn't keep them safe. I do business with quite a few online retailers and I've never had anything like this happen before. How are we supposed to trust them again?
Good point and fair enough but I think where we respectfully disagree is that determined criminal hackers are going to be able to access just about any database they want to, including large corporations and government. I will grant you that perhaps these hackers chose PNP because they knew something about their data wharehouse that was weak and could be breached; even so, it does not mean that PNP did or did not use ordinary care in securing our data, it just means they were victimized too.

We are inconvienced, but PNP is going to suffer big time. Again, IF PNP was remiss in not securing our data then I'll be the first one to say I'll never do business with them again, but we just don't have all the facts yet.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Good point and fair enough but I think where we respectfully disagree is that determined criminal hackers are going to be able to access just about any database they want to, including large corporations and government. I will grant you that perhaps these hackers chose PNP because they knew something about their data wharehouse that was weak and could be breached; even so, it does not mean that PNP did or did not use ordinary care in securing our data, it just means they were victimized too.

We are inconvienced, but PNP is going to suffer big time. Again, IF PNP was remiss in not securing our data then I'll be the first one to say I'll never do business with them again, but we just don't have all the facts yet.
I understand the position you are taking but unless they produce their security policy and procedures no one will know with absolute certainty.

I would like to re-state that security is a 24/7 concern esp when dealing with medical records and commerce.Yes there were criminals that orchastrated this assult but how are the customers to come to terms with the matter if they do not know what steps the merchant took to protect them.

The folks behind the intrusion will likely never be caught but I hope they do catch them and get their day in court. It might justbe the only way the customers will get to know what took place that night and then be able to decide how culpable PNP is.

I do wish them a speedy recovery but there are questions that need to be answered.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the past few weeks, I have had my table pc stolen, as well as my side markers. I ordered the replacement sidemarkers from PNP. Now I got this letter.

I really dont mind, since I am not resposible for any fraudulent charges. I too, work with IT, and I understand how difficult it is to secure anything (I dont support the death penalty...but I do believe all hackers should be hanged) It was relitively easy to cancel and order a new card all, hopefully, without financial damage. Loosing my computer on the other hand, was a big hassle. Checking security cameras...questioning staff; all of a sudden everyone in the building became a suspect. Sucks!!

anyways. nothing bad happened yet and hopefully PNP will honor their discount. I am sure they will thrice as secured as before. I wouldnt doubt that they will loose alot of customers.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I travel quite a bit, and in this case have not been home for the better part of the past 3 weeks. I have no way of knowing that this is going on, other than an occasional forum visit.

Is this the end of the world? NO
Is it a major pain that will likely need to cancel my debit card while I am on the road? YES

I personally had a horrible experience buying from them in the first place (no communication, they sent the wrong parts, and it took forever), so I have no problem saying I will not deal with them again if at all possible. I won't launch into some personal attack on PNP because it is not that big of a deal, and I understand that this happens, but there is some amount of responsibility here. If anything they should offer all those effected some discount/coupon for their trouble.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Foo_G
I understand the position you are taking but unless they produce their security policy and procedures no one will know with absolute certainty.

I would like to re-state that security is a 24/7 concern esp when dealing with medical records and commerce.Yes there were criminals that orchastrated this assult but how are the customers to come to terms with the matter if they do not know what steps the merchant took to protect them.

The folks behind the intrusion will likely never be caught but I hope they do catch them and get their day in court. It might justbe the only way the customers will get to know what took place that night and then be able to decide how culpable PNP is.

I do wish them a speedy recovery but there are questions that need to be answered.
I agree with everything you said above. I am especially interested in seeing their published security measures on a go-forward basis.

Hopefully, the one positive out of all this for affected consumers is that people will now use their DC cards for ATM and over the counter self service, and not for internet transactions, restaurants, etc. where they lose control over the transaction . . . that's what CC cards are for.

Last edited by MiamiG35sedan; 04-19-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:33 PM
I agree with everything you said above. I am especially interested in seeing their published security measures on a go-forward basis.

Hopefully, the one positive out of all this for affected consumers is that people will now use their DC cards for ATM and over the counter self service, and not for internet transactions, restaurants, etc. where they lose control over the transaction . . . that's what CC cards are for.
Yeah there are lessons in this for everyone. Esp the DC useage issue.

Also, paypal... do not use direct banking transfers if you can avoid it.

Last edited by Foo_G; 04-19-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Just so you guys know and this is not a knock on Performance but Mossy Performance is another dealer/aftermarket parts vendor that can help you out if you need something. I can understand being concerned about this as I would be too if I was in that position. Mossy however can get all the same parts for the same or cheaper costs so that is an alternative for you. www.mossyperformance.com I've been getting parts from them for over 6 years and have never bought something that Greg couldn't get me the best deal on. Hope that helps.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:24 PM
people should outsource this type of information storage to a more security oriented data storage organization

Old 04-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Received notice, cancelled card, received new card via express mail 2 days later at no charge to me. No bogus charges placed on old card prior to cancellation.

Old 05-06-2006, 10:11 AM
It works on my machine
Well, I got nailed last weekend. I got the letter and took a wait and see approach. 2 weeks later and I get a call from an Apple store asking me if I purchased a Nano? I said NO, then called my CC company to cancel the card. The weird thing is that the Apple store actually called me, never had that happen before.

Anyway, like many of you I also work in the IT field, actually designing and developing intranet and internet sites. There is no excuse for this brake-in except for laziness and/or lack of interest to protect their customers. Heck they probably used access as their back end database to make swiping it easier.

I WILL NOT purchase anything from this store again...Done.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I really don't understand this and other similar attitudes in this thread.

Fraud and theft has always been a reality and will only continue to increase because stealing is getting easier and law enforcement has not caught up.

It's a fact of life and get over it. What is so bad about this situation that you would never do business with them again? So it takes 2 minutes on an automated line to request a new CC card, big deal. So it takes 10 days to get the new card, big deal? If this puts you in a financial bind then you shouldn't be buying things on credit to begin with anyways.

The bottom line is that most CC's today don't hold you liable for fraudulent charges. Anyone using a DC for anything other than ATM or self service over the counter transactions (where you have full control over the processing) is naive and taking unecessary risks. True, most banks don't hold you liable when you use a DC too, but now you've put your bank account at direct risk and recovering funds will take time.

PNP's response was very proper under the circumstances. Their data was hacked around April 12 or 13, and I received the letter on the East Coast on the 17th. What more can one ask for? Unless someone can show PNP was remiss or negligent in securing their data, then back off.

I can't believe how unreasonable so many people on this board are (same thing with many dealer and factory customer service complaints). Many need to take a breath and try to see things from the other person's point of view.
I agree with you 100%. It wasn't their fault that some IT geek hacked their site. I hope they got the FBI involved. The hacker WILL get their day with Bubba in prison..........

Old 06-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by DP03
I agree with you 100%. It wasn't their fault that some IT geek hacked their site. I hope they got the FBI involved. The hacker WILL get their day with Bubba in prison..........
Why is the @ss raper always named "Bubba"???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.