G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

why can't i beat my friend's '06 330i?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you had a 6mt you wouldn't have a problem....auto vs auto the bmw will win (stock vs stock) on the road....

i'm interested to know what a 6mt vs 6mt would do

Old 05-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My buddy has dubs on his coupe and he had two passengers when he raced a new 330. The thing gave him a whooping, took off about 2 car lengths ahead just from a dead stop. Neither guy launched, it was your simple flooring it. I think the 6MT will definatley do better. I raced a Porche Boxter S the other day, he was just keeping up, so I am sure the S is faster than a 330.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Interesting. I raced a black 2006 330I not too long ago and I beat him by a car and a half (and I was pulling away) up to 100mph before we both let up. But I am a 6MT. Could it be that much of a difference?
autos have the 3.3 rearend versus 6MTs with the 3.5. That would make a noticeable difference.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:10 PM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I beat the new 330 by about a car length... he kept up but could never catch up or pass me - 3 runs, all the same - 0 to around 100. Both cars have similar mods - exhaust and wheels.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:05 PM
thanks for all of your suggestions...it cant be my launching b/c ive tried doing it every possible way-manumatic, vdc off/on, automatic, brake torquing. The thing is it cant be me, cause we've switched cars and i still beat him driving the 330i. As for the 330i, i just asked him and its completely stock he just got it a month ago. maybe i'll get into this whole modding business-20hp for 2k doesnt sound bad at all. question-does the auto G35 coupe have 280 hp or 298? i might look into trading it in cause im finding that i never really have any passengers.

Last edited by MySilverG35; 05-10-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Funner567
he used to have old school body m3 so he can def shift properly
Does this make sense to anybody else?

I use to have a model airplane. Doesn't make me a pilot.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I honestly can't believe some of you are shocked at this outcome. Any one who's spent decent time behind the wheel of a BMW knows that they underrate their cars hp. I've driven both an auto 06 330i and an auto 05 G35. While both are quick, I would have to give the edge to the 330. It's just a superior car, hands down. That car is an athlete. It's not like it totally slaughtered the auto G anyway. It's only about a carlength. Sounds about right to me.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Quickie
I had a 3 series two cars ago (1996 328). They do have pretty linear power but I still think the, for the money, the G is the better. The new 3 series have the same power, roughly, as the G but I had trerrible problems with my 328. Everytime I carried it to the shop for repair, I had to carry at least $500 bucks just to cover anything minor. For major repairs, I had to shop around just to get a decent price. That sucked. I think my water pump was around $600. Since I had extremely good luck with my last car, an 03 Maxima, I was sure this G wouldn't give me any problems. I never had to do any repair work on my Maxima other than stuff like brake pads, oil changes, etc even after 93k miles. That damn 328 was a maintenance hog. Water pump at 41K, radiator at 78k, rear wheel bearings at 81k, several O/2 sensors, and a leaking power steering pump at 116k. Not to mention that BMW recommends that you replace your rotors everytime you replace your brake pads. "They are made to wear with your pads", how stupid is that. Or maybe genius, as far as making cash. I think I paid $186 per rotor when I replaced them. Still, the 3 series is a good car in my opinion. A great handler with decent power. I just can't justify/live with myself knowing that I could of bought a car just as equal to a 3 series for $5-$6K less with less maintenance problems. Comsumer Reports rated the BMW brand mid pack as far as relieability. Infiniti was 5th under only all of the Honda and Toyota brands. On the other hand, the G doesn't have the rep as a BMW, but thats another reason why I didn't go back to to one. My first vehicle was a 63 dodge farm truck (three on the tree). So, the BMW never really fit my image. But my FIRST wife just had to have one.......

haha its funny you mention that, because his rear window wouldnt go back up after i accidently lowered it. Something with the motor. After 20 painful minutes of slowly getting it up we finally managed to close it.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMike
Well, when I get my '06 330i 6mt I'll race some of you guys and see what results we get.
I'll go. 6MT vs. 6MT!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by superb16
I honestly can't believe some of you are shocked at this outcome. Any one who's spent decent time behind the wheel of a BMW knows that they underrate their cars hp. I've driven both an auto 06 330i and an auto 05 G35. While both are quick, I would have to give the edge to the 330. It's just a superior car, hands down. That car is an athlete. It's not like it totally slaughtered the auto G anyway. It's only about a carlength. Sounds about right to me.
yeah his car feels quicker for some reason but only when i slide it in that d/s mode. In the regular D it felt like a slug and worse than my auto, but i dunno if you slide it over into d/s it becomes a whole new car. I dunno if his car is faster or its just his transmission, so a manual v manual would be cool to see.

Old 05-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by 350Zed
I test drove both a G35 auto sedan and an auto 330i back-to-back 2 weeks ago, and I highly doubt the 330i is faster. The G35 had more low-end and the 330i more top-end (based on my highly-scientific butt-dyno), but overall the G35 felt faster.

Perhaps you need to improve your launch-technique when going from a dig, and maybe you need to check what gear you're in when going from a roll...?
Yeah top end, the car seemed ridiculously fast. When we did 60-100 he was already 3 car lengths ahead and still pulling away.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I find this outcome odd because Motor Trend tested the 05 G35 sedan auto (sport package equipped) against the 330i auto. Both cars posted identical 1/4 mile times and ETs (14.7s@96mph) and the G35 actually edged out the 330i above 100mph. Sounds to me like a drivers race.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:31 PM
didnt you guys know that the BMW horsies are bigger than most manufactures? It has always been that way. The BMW inline-6's always have run a little faster than the HP rating suggests. But then they self destruct when you get out of warranty.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto
didnt you guys know that the BMW horsies are bigger than most manufactures? It has always been that way. The BMW inline-6's always have run a little faster than the HP rating suggests. But then they self destruct when you get out of warranty.
That is true, BMW is underrating the N52 engine just a tad, especially with the 325i model. Another thing that the BMW has over the G35 is that it has a six-speed auto with a wider ratio spread. Its automatic can also lock its TC in all gears after 1st gear. Another thing about BMW is that their listed curb weight is on a "German Scale", which includes a all full fluids and one average human driver (roughly 165lbs) whereas Japanese cars don't include the driver in the listed curb weight. This gives the BMW a "hidden" power/weight ratio advantage as well.

I've seen those video's on streetfire.net, it looks to me like you didn't step on the gas until about a second after the BMW left the line. Whats up with that?

Old 05-11-2006, 12:29 AM
I gotta agree with the comment above, you step on the gas a good second after the BMW. Not to mention the video is horrible, no way to tell what the heck is actually going on. Maybe you need to work on your launches and beat that ECU back into submission. You have 9K miles on the G, by now the ecu is used to your lazy drives to and from work each day. While your friend has 2k miles and the ECU may still be learning his driving style. You need to drive the G hard for a good 30 minutes before you take on the BMW again, then see what happens. I took on my buddys 06 330I in my 06 G sedan a few nights ago at the track, both stock and MT as well, left the poor boy in my dust in 2nd gear. Although I have to admit I've got a lot more track time than my friend and have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to gauge with my butt dyno where the proper shift points are to maximize HP and speed. It's also important to remember that the engines and power/weight ratios in the G and BMW are fairly comprable, so really it does come down to who is the better driver. Nonetheless the 330i is and will always be a scary fast car in the right hands. Another tip might be to race with a 1/4 tank or less of gas, why take on the extra weight

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: why can't i beat my friend's '06 330i?