G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Why Bose Sucks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by CMT_G35

I'll second the point that were 10 pages in to a discussion about an audio system NO ONE has listened to. (perhaps these guys could take to reviewing restaurants they've never eaten at, books they've never read, or movies they have never seen).

No, THAT^^^^ was the point!

Old 08-04-2006, 11:25 AM
We'll just have to see how "Bad" it really is.

Infiniti's In-Car Hard Drive
REVIEW DATE: 31-JUL-2006
By Bill Howard

Add Infiniti to the ranks of automakers with a hard disk in the dash for both navigation data and music storage. It's part of the optional Bose Studio on Wheels sound system, which comes in the new G35 arriving this fall.

SLIDESHOW (6)

Slideshow | All Shots

Although other automakers have chosen DVD-Audio with discrete five-plus-channel simulated sound (Acura), or simulated sound such as the Logic7 system (BMWs and Audis), Nissan is returning to good old stereo with the G35 sedan (albeit with 10 speakers).

To show just how lifelike the music can be, Bose and Infiniti brought a prototype G35 into the Avatar recording studio in New York City, along with five of New York's best jazz musicians, for a unique comparison: live musicians compared with the same material played back in-car. There were, of course, differences, but the sound was amazingly lifelike.

What about other musical material? Listening closely, I could hear Linda Ronstadt take a breath just before beginning "Skylark." And the pounding bass from 50 Cent's "In Da Club" came through not just as music but also as physical pressure on my chest. Hip-hop fans won't need to bother with aftermarket speakers on this car.

The G35 is a top-tier compact sport sedan. Its predecessor bested the BMW 330i in some reviews, then the 3 Series came along to recapture the crown. This fall is Infiniti's chance to shine once again, and Studio on Wheels isn't the only tech tool in the Infiniti arsenal.

The G35 also has a hard disk built into the dash. Most of its 30GB is allocated to data for a next-generation Xanavi navigation system (Nissan/Infiniti's in-house brand) and system overhead, but 9.5GB is set aside for ripping music, similar to MyGig in the three new Chrysler vehicles arriving this summer and fall. The new Mercedes-Benz S-Class also has a hard disk onboard, but only for navigation; same with the Lexus LS460, due this fall.

The 7-inch LCD is one of the industry's best, and it's a key reason we named its big brother M35/M45, the overall winner in our first Digital Drive awards. Infiniti does the best job in the industry of packaging entertainment, climate control, and audio information on a single display. Critics say this is information overload. Maybe they're just jealous.

The G25 will also have a line-in jack for music players and a CompactFlash card slot. An iPod-specific adapter won't be available until 2008, Infiniti says. And Infiniti is one of the few remaining automakers to offer buyers a choice of either Sirius or XM satellite radio without forcing them to buy an external dash-mount device.

Nissan hasn't announced pricing for the car or options yet, but we expect that even with a more powerful V6 engine, the base price should remain around $31,000. High-end audio upgrades are typically $1,000 to $1,500, and twice that when part of a technology package with navigation.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^Hmmmm, G25, huh?

Old 08-04-2006, 12:41 PM
I saw that, I assume it was a typo?

Old 08-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I saw that, I assume it was a typo?
Yeah, I would say so.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:41 PM
07G
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An iPod-specific adapter won't be available until 2008, Infiniti says.
I think this is a mistake. There is no excuse for not having an iPod connection on a 2007 model.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting to see you guys start bashing Bill Howard next

Infiniti's In-Car Hard Drive
REVIEW DATE: 31-JUL-2006
By Bill Howard
(snip)
Texasscout,
You've nailed this topic pretty well.

Maybe you've been really dissatisfied with a Bose product in another car ... Okay, that's too bad for us. But you wouldn't be here if you had pre-judged your G35 based on an experience with a G20, right? You guys should hear it and judge it for what it is. If you can't wait until they show up at the dealer, you can do what most of us have to do ... read about it in a review.
Rlampke hasn't heard it but he knows it sucks. Others who have heard it have a different opinion.

Also, to your point: There's been more variability in Bose automotive systems over the last 3 model years than I'd like ... but I'm working on that issue.

And if you want to bash Bose as being all style and marketing, ya might as well start in on B&O and their 6 grand system (some folk will say, "gee, for $6700 it has to be good"). That's exactly why I made the B&O comment (duh).

John Feng

P.S. I wonder what Rlampke has to say about the fact that his favorite brand of OEM premium audio uses paper-coned, cloth surround speakers that look suspiciously identical to the main speakers found on inexpensive Toyotas.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by feng
Texasscout,
You've nailed this topic pretty well.

Maybe you've been really dissatisfied with a Bose product in another car ... Okay, that's too bad for us. But you wouldn't be here if you had pre-judged your G35 based on an experience with a G20, right? You guys should hear it and judge it for what it is. If you can't wait until they show up at the dealer, you can do what most of us have to do ... read about it in a review.
Rlampke hasn't heard it but he knows it sucks. Others who have heard it have a different opinion.

Also, to your point: There's been more variability in Bose automotive systems over the last 3 model years than I'd like ... but I'm working on that issue.

And if you want to bash Bose as being all style and marketing, ya might as well start in on B&O and their 6 grand system (some folk will say, "gee, for $6700 it has to be good"). That's exactly why I made the B&O comment (duh).

John Feng

P.S. I wonder what Rlampke has to say about the fact that his favorite brand of OEM premium audio uses paper-coned, cloth surround speakers that look suspiciously identical to the main speakers found on inexpensive Toyotas.

Still trying desperately to petal your BS to the less informed I see [like comparing JBL to MK just because they are under the same umbrella, but do not share common architectures] - but a good place to do so nonetheless. Remember, this is about why Bose sucks; not about one system. And besides, many of you here are all speculating about the characteristics of the new G35 and comparing it against others vehicles many of you have not driven as well - so what's the difference here...? Speculations are based upon past experiences and current product offerings. I highly doubt there is a paradigm shift here w/Bose - more of the same. Again, once you start from the bottom, you can only go up and because of that, of course people are going to say it sounds better.

That certainly is not a case for "audiophile" quality...

Last edited by RLampke; 08-07-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2) The owners manual says it plays MP3s. I was very disappointed to find that although the head unit will indeed play mp3 discs, the 6 disc changer in the trunk won't play mp3 discs. Why didn't they disclose this in the sales material?

3) You can copy your audio CDs to the hard drive.... of course that's unless you are playing an mp3 disc. This makes no sense. You should have been able to simply transfer the mp3 songs to the hard drive compressed as-is. Requiring a "regular" disc to copy to the hard drive is a pain. To transfer my music library, I had to create over 40 cds and then have the head unit compress and move them to the hard drive. That's both a pain and very inefficient. PLUS, it make all of them separate ALBUMS on the hard drive which makes selecting your favorite songs harder.

4) No ability to create playlists on the hard drive. Not the end of the world but it would have been nice.

Oh well.... if I can figure out a way to get some decent bass, all will be okay

Gary
I agree with you on 2). I wouldn't have known about this beforehand if I didn't visit the forums. I asked my dealer purposely to see if he knew and he replied "it should play it" and I just go

As for 3), why don't you consider using cd-rw? Rather than burning onto 40 cd-r's. Also the car gives you multiple options... I havn't even touched the harddrive. I currently just use the compact flash. (I can understand if you don't have the flash card readily available though, I stole mine from my old digicam)

*edit: sorry cut off the top quote tag!

Old 03-26-2007, 05:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny they used 50 Cent's In Da Club. That was the first CD I grabbed (in a hurry) when I first test drove the '07 back in Oct. To my surprise, the sound SUCKED! Especially the bass! It was so weak, so distorted... But that's because I was comparing it with my aftermarket system in my old Mazda6, which had a separate bass in the trunk.

Now that I've had my car for over 4 months, I'm VERY pleased with the SOW. It's helped me to mature and move on from loud, thumping music. The SOW can still handle loud volumes and rap/hip-hop music. No, it's no where near good aftermarket setups, but not disappointing at all. You'll loved the mids.

As for the computer system -- not, it's not the best, nor the most intuitive. It has many limitations, but for a stock system, it will please the auto techies. I have two 2GB flash cards, a CD of MP3s in the head unit, and some random reg. CDs in the trunk (which I never use). If I add an iPod the aux (I don't plan to own one -- ever), then that's 5 sources of music (Music Box, in-dash CD, CD changer, compact flash, auxiliary in). Let's not forget regular AM/FM and XM/Sirius!

Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 AM
look fellas it all boilS down to one thing... what would you rather have in your car...

A BOSE STUDIO ON WHEELS SOUND SYSTEM

OR

A STOCK RADIO FROM INFINITI

STOP COMPLAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by UltimateGee27
look fellas it all boilS down to one thing... what would you rather have in your car...

A BOSE STUDIO ON WHEELS SOUND SYSTEM

OR

A STOCK RADIO FROM INFINITI

STOP COMPLAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE my car!!! BUT, I do wish the stereo system was better. I'm just letting other folks know my thoughts. I find everything else about the car so perfect I wish they had done a few little things different on the sound system. I will just add a sub-woofer system and that will be fine. I plan to have this car for a long, long, time :-)

Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Wow, this thread is something else….

I just thought I’d throw my $0.02 to the mix…

Even though I do not agree with RLampke’s posting style, I do agree with his dislike of Bose. I also used to be one of those uneducated consumers who dreamed of owning a Lifestyle Bose system sometime in life. When that time came, luckily as I typically do prior to any significant purchase, I went to do some research on the products and boy was I surprised. First to find that almost no specialized audio stores sell Bose products (used to get sinkers and blank stares when I asked about them), then when I finally found one, listening to just any other respectable brand of speaker vs. Bose back to back simply put Bose to shame, but I guess this is a topic for another forum.

In any case, in the same manner as with Bose home speakers, I’ve been severely disappointed with both my 03G35’s Bose system and my wife’s A4’s Bose system. Sure it sounds ok, but I haven’t found it to be any better than your basic audio system typically available on other cars. Certainly not anywhere close to being good enough to justify paying a premium for it.

What bothers me about this whole thing is that in a way, I am not given the option of deleting the Bose system out of this car. True, I could go without the Premium pack, but there are other features here that I do want. Ultimately, a sound system is certainly not the reason I chose to purchase a certain vehicle. Nevertheless, I hate the fact that I have to pay extra for something I do not want.

Like I said at the beginning, just my $.02