G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 G35 Motor Trend Article Scanned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EZZ
The IS350 will be a driver's race. The 330 when pitted against the IS350 was 0.6 seconds slower in the same conditions. The G35 is 0.8 seconds faster than the 330. Unless you have all three in the same comparo, its impossible to tell but I bet the IS350 = G35 manual.
You're right, it's impossible to tell unless they're tested in the same conditions by the same driver; if I had to bet I'd say the G will be the slowest by a couple tenths but really in the end that means very little to me. It's about driving dynamics; in which case it'll probably always be BMW > Infiniti >>> Lexus.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RO9397
The main reason people buy the Japanese flavor is price. Style wise IMO the Infiniti G & M sedans are a flop, but that's totally personal & irrelevant to everyone else.
I was with you up until this last sentence. That is purely inflamatory. The M is selling like crazy. But I agree the g's styling could be less conservative.

You know why I have a sedan? Because in the greater birmingham metro area, there is only one bmw dealership. Back in the summer of 04 my wife and I spent 45 minutes walking the lot. We looked at every single 3 series and 5 series they had; new, used, m3, whatever. I was ready to buy a 330 right there. The problem was not a single salesperson could be bothered to even acknowledge us. I left without getting to drive one.

Afterwards, I went and visited a local carmax to look at a nearly new 330. Man, was I put off. I got in the car, and the interior was just junk. I'm not talking about quality. I'm talking about style, feel, and personality. The materials and finish were excellent. I just couldn't stand the style.

So after that, I got a g35. Then I got another one. I have spent money in m5 territory on g35s, and I bet the dealership would regret it if they knew.

Things like the style/feel of the interior, and external styling are purely subjective. You won't agree with my opinions on the interior, just as I'll disagree with your opinions on the g.

I know for a fact that a 3 series will out drive the g sedan. Autocrossing, the margin is pretty wide. I have a local friend with an 05 330 w/zhp, and his times spanked my own the only time we autocrossed on the same day. He's been doing it for years; it was only my third such event. Regardless, if you put him in my car, I would predict that he couldn't match his own times in the 330.

Regardless, there are upsides to the g. I autocross my car. I drag race my car. While it excels at neither, it's competent at both. It's cheaper than the 330. It has better reliability. The resale value actually rivals the bmw. And because of the platform sharing amongst the coupe and 350z, sedan owners benefit from a mature and sizable aftermarket. All things considered, dealer experience, after-sell experience, ownership, aftermarket, motorsports, the 330 just can't touch the g.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For others this might be a trivial thing, but I noticed that the seat cushions on the new G have thigh extensions....a major blessings for those LOOOOOOONG road trips.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Trey
I retract what I said about price. You are right. There are tons of differences that go into such a complex decision. Most professional sales persons (I've done it part time for years) will tell you that bottom line it's largely emotion at the moment the decision is made. Also the M looks pretty good. They are rarely seen here because it is MB & BMW territory.

Regarding straight line power & someone who posted that is all that matters. That is probably true for the poster. IMO that gets boring fast. Talk to someone who rides motorcycles, which aren't challenged in a straight line by anything w/ 4 wheels on the street (high 9s @ 150mph 1/4 mile, yes 48% higher terminal speed vs. your M). Of immense & never ending joy is being on a tight road & running away & hiding from vehicles w/ far better acceleration.

Last edited by RO9397; 08-24-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Trey

Regarding straight line power & someone who posted that is all that matters. That is probably true for the poster. IMO that gets boring fast. Talk to someone who rides motorcycles, which aren't challenged in a straight line by anything w/ 4 wheels on the street (high 9s @ 150mph 1/4 mile, yes 48% higher terminal speed vs. your M). Of immense & never ending joy is being on a tight road & running away & hiding from vehicles w/ far better acceleration.
I don't know homey...unles you're in a formula 1 racecar pulling some major Gs thru some twisty curves at high speed, I find that pullling high 9s gives more kick than just about anything else you can do on public roads with stock vehicles. The only time people get bored with pulling high 9s is cuz they wanted to go even faster. Straightline speed is more addicting than going around in a corner faster, it's a fact. That is why there are more drag racers than there slowazz autocrossers. But to each his own. Just keep in mind that todays vehicle with fast acceleration is also tuned to do reasonably well in the twisties. Even a porky 500hp M5 with slow and numb steering can handle corners OK and offers good enough grip that it won't get smoked so easily by a much slower accelerating 350Z.

Since I have a hard time coming up with a slower vehicle that could run and hide from another vehicle with far better acceleration. Can you help me out? Closest thing I can think of is a 195HP Lotus Elise vs a 700hp Camry on stock suspension.

The 07 G35 sedan can easily match the 330s best move in the handling department. But G35 is almost a full second faster in acceleration. Depending on how fast the vehicles are going, a full second can be anywhere from 5-10 car length. So that means if the race continues for a long period, the G35 will be the one running away and possibly end up doing the hiding. Hows that possible you ask?

G35s superior HP/torque will allow it to take the lead and get to the twisty part of the "tight road" you speak of first. Since it can match and outgrip the 330 in the turns, it'll slowly put some distance on the bimmer. When the road straighens up and G35 is able to put all of it's 306 SAE rated HP to the ground again...G35 will leave and even bigger gap between the 2 vehicle. The longer the race continues, the bigger the gap. While the bimmer may "feel" 2% better thru the twisties, it's driver will feel 100% crappier when he/she can't seem to keep up no matter what they do. I don't know of anyone who races to lose cuz there is no joy in losing.

So If unmatched handling dynamics in a 4dr saloon is more important to you...I recommend the EVO9 MR or STI. They are simply the best handling sedan ever built...period!!! You may get turned off by the fact that they are Japanese and not Euro make...however they make that up by out handling and outgripping any stock BMW ever made, their ability to out accelerate the M3 in a straightline is just icing on the cake. So Don't compramise with wanabe cars like 330/IS350. These are just luxury sedans with some sports tuned in. They're too soft/numb for serious driving, but too stiff as a daily driver. They aren't sexy like a sportscar nor do they drive like one, but they aren't soft and grandpa looking like an Avalon either. They are basically the most compramised vehicles ever built. They don't excel in any area except picking up hot golddigger chicks. That's why I buy a bimmer for, I don't fool myself into thinking it's some kind of track machine.

Last edited by THE RICE MASTER; 08-24-2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Lean how to drive the car fast first then talk about handling and accelaration.

/story.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Mr_Ryte
For others this might be a trivial thing, but I noticed that the seat cushions on the new G have thigh extensions....a major blessings for those LOOOOOOONG road trips.
For some folks, it's a major blessing even for the shortest trips. Lack of thigh support in my Coupe aggravates my bulging disc, making my 15-mile commute excruciating sometimes. About time Infiniti!

Now if they'd put the sport seats in the softer-sprung Base or Touring cars, it'd be perfect. Just can't make some people happy, I suppose

Old 08-24-2006, 08:50 AM
The first-gen G's Sport suspension calibration is firmer and thus has been accused of being more harsh than that of a BMW. I get the feeling that perhaps a Base or Touring sedan would have given more of that compliant suspension feel that MT enjoyed so much in the 330i.

I'd like to see a rematch of the 330i auto versus a base car - then a 330i auto versus a base car with Sport swaybars and decent 17" tires.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Wow, all this comparative talk about acceleration, handling, and "driving pleasure".....

I'm still lost as to what makes a (presumably)level-headed, hard-working person base a $35K-$40K purchase decision on data like a .2 sec difference in 0-60 acceleration or .02 g in handling. As stated earlier, most of those car mags test cars in ways that would have the average driver losing this license very quickly.
I plan on getting a G35 not because I want the "best driving experience". I want a reliable piece of machinery that will take me from point A to B in relatively high comfort with little fuss. Infiniti usually ranks higher in reliability and initial quality than most European models that "drive better". I don't knock someone for buying an BMW, MB or better; but unless they plan on pushing their cars every so often to test it's limits then what's the point?

Oh yeah, lest I forget.....
Originally Posted by THE RICE MASTER
......They don't excel in any area except picking up hot golddigger chicks. That's why I buy a bimmer for, I don't fool myself into thinking it's some kind of track machine.
Thus the reason that I plan on getting the Infiniti Coupe.

Amazing the amount of coochie one can acquire from such mundane items as leather, sunroof and a "prestigious" emblem.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Good read....glad to see that for less money you get more performance. No doubting that the BMW is prob more refined, but still, looks like the 3-series killer continues.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Ryte
Wow, all this comparative talk about acceleration, handling, and "driving pleasure".....

I'm still lost as to what makes a (presumably)level-headed, hard-working person base a $35K-$40K purchase decision on data like a .2 sec difference in 0-60 acceleration or .02 g in handling. As stated earlier, most of those car mags test cars in ways that would have the average driver losing this license very quickly.
I plan on getting a G35 not because I want the "best driving experience". I want a reliable piece of machinery that will take me from point A to B in relatively high comfort with little fuss. Infiniti usually ranks higher in reliability and initial quality than most European models that "drive better". I don't knock someone for buying an BMW, MB or better; but unless they plan on pushing their cars every so often to test it's limits then what's the point?
I agree with what you are saying. Obviously different things are important to different people, but for me, if the new G35 is .2, .5, or a full second slower than the IS350 or 3 Series I really couldn't care less. My 07 G will be my daily driver and will soon be hauling a baby in the back seat........so how it performs in MT's figure 8 test is completely irrelevant to me. The overall package G35 offers is an absolute bargain when up against BMW and Lexus.....that is why I purchased it.

Having said all that, there are people out there that care solely about performance......everyone has their own unique needs/wants.

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 08-24-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trey
I retract what I said about price. You are right. There are tons of differences that go into such a complex decision. Most professional sales persons (I've done it part time for years) will tell you that bottom line it's largely emotion at the moment the decision is made. Also the M looks pretty good. They are rarely seen here because it is MB & BMW territory.

I autocross and drag race both. I actually enjoy autocrossing more, but it's harder on the tires and events are only held once a month. Not only that, one has to work the course for 3+ hours for roughly 5 minutes of seat time. Drag racing is a different experience altogether.

And I understand how important the whole "driving experience" thing is. In this comparison, the g matched the 330 on the figure eight, but the author states the 330 was more comfortable for the driver to drive flat-out, whereas the with the driver had to "wrestle" it into place. From a purist's stand point, I'd definitely prefer the ride that gives me more confidence. But that preference would cost me thousands of dollars. I'm willing to compromise.

I'm waiting for the 335. If BMW doesn't compromise the driving dynamics because of the power(and I have no reason to believe they will), then that machine is going to be bliss.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I didn't buy my G because of the "Numbers". I bought it because it "talked" to me. I "felt" it. I still feel it a year later. I still find myself staring at it. There is something about the combination of design and performance that makes my heart beat faster every time I get in. The new bimmers are fine, at least they know how to properly design the tire/wheel well look, but the rest of the design does not do it for me.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
boo

Old 08-24-2006, 01:24 PM
I would be very careful...

I would be very careful with manufacturer-sponsored driving events. I went to a bunch of those and found that there is a lot a manufacturer can do to make sure their car feels better than the competitors'.
In one of the events I went to, an Audi A8 handled better than the BMW 745. Of course, nobody knows what tires they used on each car, what tire pressure or suspension settings (if adjustable). Obviously, that event was sponsored by Audi.
In the BMW 330 / G35 / Audi A4, what G35 did they use? Was it a regular model or a one with sport suspension and performance tires? If they used the regular G35 with regular suspension and crappy Goodyear RSA or, worse, Bridgestone EL42 tires vs. BMW 330 with sport suspension/tires, that could make a lot of difference.
I do not contest that the 330 handles better, but the question is how much better with apples/apples comparison.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 G35 Motor Trend Article Scanned