G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 G35 Motor Trend Article Scanned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by THE RICE MASTER
Theoretically inline 6 is suppose to be smoother than V6. But that's only if the same manufacturor using the same technique/tolerance/technology etc. is in charge of building those motors. In the case of IS350 vs 330 vs G35. IMO Lexus V6 is smoothest of all three despite being a V configuration, they simply put more effort into ensuring their motors are as smooth as it can be. Toyota's inline 6 used in the last gen Lexus gs300/IS300 and Supra TT and NA Supra is also way smoother and stouter than any BMW powerplant including their V8s. That's just the way Toyota does things, they overbuilt them!!!

BMWs excuse for not being as smoother as Toyota is that the extra crudeness gives their engines more charactor or "soul". Nissan motors in the past were known for being gutsy/torquey, but never known for smoothness.
I can't say I agree--a V6 needs balance shafts to smooth it out, not in theory, in reality. Once accomplished, there is more weight and friction. The very reason for a V6 is the compactness, i.e. it can be turned sideways and used in a fwd application.

As far as BMWs not being smooth, which models did you drive? I can go back to the E36 M3, and have drive all these models over the last 5 years: E46 325, 328, 330, M3, 525, 530, 745, 750 (note the 8 cyl. 5 I've not driven, the 750 was the new 8, not 12 cyl). I've taken the 745 and E90 330 on extended distances, and find them to be quite smooth. The 7 that I drove was older (prolly 2k4) and only had 325 HP, but it still pushed me back in my seat when I mashed my foot to the floor.

Doesn't matter to me if I own a BMW or not, I know it's quite an extraordinary vehicle. If it were easily afforded with respect to purchase and maintenance, everyone would have one. But this is the real world.

Last edited by John105; 09-17-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by RLampke
Look, if you do not like the results of the MT article, then find another that skews cost and performance strengths in favor of the G35, and then you'll have what you want. But better look elsewhere than MT/C&D/R&T/Automobilemag - as past articles will dictate, it will not happen there.

Although the price of the GT-R is speculation, it has been rumored to be around $70K – no where near a 335i TT.
Totally agree, on price, the G35 is definitely worth considering. But to feel someone is unfairly biased in saying BMW is a better car is just plain weird.

If one says, "I can't spend more than 40k for a car," and another replies, "The best new car for your 40k is a BMW," that would be ridiculous. But if you have 50k to spend, and you want to spend it, a 3 Series is a no brainer over the G35 as far as which is the overall better car.

Why make the G35 into something it's not? It already costs nearly double a Honda Accord, which is a fine, reliable car. I myself think that I would be satisfied with a G35, I don't need to feel it's superior to a 3, but that's me.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by John105
I can't say I agree--a V6 needs balance shafts to smooth it out, not in theory, in reality. Once accomplished, there is more weight and friction. The very reason for a V6 is the compactness, i.e. it can be turned sideways and used in a fwd application.

I haven't heard of any import V6 needing balance shaft to be smooth, but I believe engine smootheness has more to do with manufacturing techniques/quality control/design than anything else. I know that an inline is naturally smoother than a V configuration. But not all manufacturors are created equal. For example...GMs inline6 used in their SUVs is alot smoother than their V6 and even smoother than some of their V8s. But compare GM inline 6 to a BMW inline 6..the GM simply feels crude and coarse. Lexus inline 6 is smoother than BMW inline 6 due to their superior attention to details and other manufacturing techniques. Lexus could've stayed with an inline config for the new IS/GS, but since their new V6 are so smooth, there was no need to make the hood unneccessary long to accomodate something that isn't any noticeably smoother. The V6 in the Avalon/camry/GS/IS is buttery smooth. If BMW used a V6 design instead, they would probably get the same criticism that Nissan has gotten for the VQ.

As far as BMWs not being smooth, which models did you drive? I can go back to the E36 M3, and have drive all these models over the last 5 years: E46 325, 328, 330, M3, 525, 530, 745, 750 (note the 8 cyl. 5 I've not driven, the 750 was the new 8, not 12 cyl). I've taken the 745 and E90 330 on extended distances, and find them to be quite smooth. The 7 that I drove was older (prolly 2k4) and only had 325 HP, but it still pushed me back in my seat when I mashed my foot to the floor.

I have a weakazz 323 myself, the engine is very smooth, surprisingly torquey on the lowend and midrange, but power drops off dramatically on the highend. I've also driven many 330, some 6cyl X5 and 540i, BMW engines are very smooth and gutsy, but if we're talking who's the smootherness, then I'd have to give the top title to Lexus and Acura.

Doesn't matter to me if I own a BMW or not, I know it's quite an extraordinary vehicle. If it were easily afforded with respect to purchase and maintenance, everyone would have one. But this is the real world.
I've also driven the last M5, handling and shifter wasn't all that great, But that motor is a beast. Love the power and torque, but then again...any nondomestic V8 motor with 400hp is going to be pretty intoxicating to beat on.