G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 G35 Motor Trend Article Scanned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread has become idiotic. What did you expect? If the G35 surpassed the BMW completely in every single way for $10K less than no one would have a reason to buy a BMW. I'm sure the new G35 will be amazing (albeit physically looking bloated as hell) but I'm already negotiating on a BMW 335i lease. They are in the same segment but they are no where near the same car.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Shane, I tried to find some comparison pics at Infiniti.com, but all I could find was the AT, not sure there isn't an armest, but if there is one, it is lower, the console "box" is smaller if I remember right, so there most likely isn't space to run the vent through. LOL, it's nice they have my interior at the site.
I guess AT's have the foot type emergency brake while MT's (and AWD?) have the real hand brake? If that's the case there will be extra room to do the air vents on the AT's. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by JGFox
This thread has become idiotic. What did you expect? If the G35 surpassed the BMW completely in every single way for $10K less than no one would have a reason to buy a BMW. I'm sure the new G35 will be amazing (albeit physically looking bloated as hell) but I'm already negotiating on a BMW 335i lease. They are in the same segment but they are no where near the same car.
This is where the $$$$ factor becomes far less of an advantage for the G35 - leasing. Even thought it is true that a loaded 335i may sticker for $8K more than a loaded G35 will sticker out as - leasing the 335i and the G35; in some cases, the two can be less than a $50.00/month difference.

This is certainly not that much of a price swing as so emphasized by others here, if one chooses the path of leasing.

Last edited by RLampke; 08-28-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by infinitinewb
Just curious, is that really the case or are you assuming that's the case because you believe U.S. autos are generally less reliable. I ask because JD Powers' recently released three year VDS survey ranks Mercury, Buick, and Cadillac the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th most reliable cars. Lexus was number one. Surprised the hell out of me (not Lexus, but the U.S. brands). Infinity was 10, BMW 9, Acura 6.
I wasn't saying American cars are unreliable; just that in this case the American made QX is considered very unreliable and is dragging Infiniti's reliability "scores" down.

Originally Posted by THE RICE MASTER
If one claims to build the "Ultimate driving machine". That means one considers everyone else inferior. That includes Ferraris/Porsche/Hyundais etc. The 3series represents BMWs slogan better than all it's other models cuz it's the around sportiest of them all. The "ultimate driving machine" should accelerate faster, grip harder, be more involving, posses cheetah like reflexes, offer superior driving dynamics than anything else from any other manufacturors. Right now only one company offers all of those things I listed better than anyone else...that company is Ferrari. Until Honda brings in a new NSX, the F430 & Enzo are as close to being "The ultimate driving machine" as production vehicles can get.

Looking at the 3series with an open mind, one finds that it is nothing more than a luxury sedan with some sport dialed in. Same with the G35 sedan and IS350. Anyone who's driven real "performance" cars before will find all three to be too soft and vague for real performance driving. The difference between their driving dynamics are so minute that it's not even worth argueing over. But their acceleration is not. The IS350 and G35 will probably be neck and neck, but there is almost a full second difference between the 2 japanese make and the 330. And almost 2 second when compared to the 325. That's a huge difference that anyone can "feel".
Seriously? An Enzo and an F430? There are $40,000 near luxury sedans/coupes, not half a million dollar exotics.

As for "anyone who's driven real performance cars", well, all I'll say is don't assume I haven't. I'm not basing my remarks on these cars based on how a 360 Stradale or Gallardo feel, I am basing them on the cars themselves relative to their competition.

It sounds to me like you're just taking offense to BMW's slogan... call them and ask them about it.

Of course some people will say that big HP does not make a vehicle drive better. That would be true if one was to compare a Miata with a V12 S-class. But 330 loses to 2007 G35 in practically every handling category and totally embarasses the 330 in a drag race. But the Bimmer rides better and is a bit more refine when going over large bumps, so that makes it "The ultimate driving machine"?
The G35 does not win in the handling categories, that's the problem. Anyone who has driven a current G and a 330i can tell you that although the G is a reasonable sport-sedan it does not have the driving dynamic (as in, body roll, nose dive, steering resonse and feel) that any of the 3-series cars has. None of us have driven the '07, but initial reports seem to indicate that it won't match the 3-series in handling either.

In the case of the INFINITI, you pay less for the vehicle upfront and then pay later on your own for basic oil/filter changes. BMW already charged you for those stuff in advance wether you like it or not. Then they tell you it's free. If you give me 40K, I'll send over two fineazz strippers to live with you for a whole month. They'll even cook and do your laundries for free.
I have no idea what you're even saying any more. I never said you got anything for free; I said once you paid for the car you got free maintenance, as in, you don't pay for it having bought the car. We've been over the price thing about 6,000 times in this thread. A 330i may cost 7k more than a G, it will make up some of that with the maintenance, it's higher residual, lower money factory, higher resale, etc.

Other than a marketing ploy to justify the delay between oil changes, I don't understand why a 330 would need synthetic oil anyway. It's not a hyper sportscars, it's a luxury sedans that rarely sees 5000rpm. If BMW can get away with changing oil every 11K, then INFINIT or all other makes can do the same. That means you blew a ton of money by changing your G's oil more often than neccesary. So you can't really say the G cost more to maintain. It cost more cuz you changed it more often, but BMW won't let you change your oil for free every 3000mile, only when they deem that you need it.
So you didn't actually read my post, you're just going on about strippers? I got lifetime oil changes for my G, I bring it in every 5k because I can. You were the one in your last post going on about 11k is too long and cars need oil more regularly; now all of a sudden it's cool to let all cars go to 11k? FWIW, I agree with the 11k thing, which is why I intially mentioned it; check the readout on your synthetic at 5k next time - virtually no buildup.

As for the rest of the post; I have to say you lost me. Negotiating with dealers, not maintaining the car...

This guy said it best.

This thread has become idiotic.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned
The whole point of the MT article was about the "better car" - the BMW is the better car. The disillusionment from others here comes from the fact that the G won most of the categories that was towards performance on this article - give this I can see the gripes some others have. Nevertheless, you re-compare the '07 G and the '07 335i TT - and there will be no comparison performance wise.

What I do find ironic is the interior of the new G vs. the BMW, which I have to say that the G looks far better than the BMW's - and that’s saying something considering the ****-poor interior of the current G.

Last edited by RLampke; 08-28-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:17 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RLampke
What I do find ironic is the interior of the new G vs. the BMW, which I have to say that the G looks far better than the BMW's - and that’s saying something considering the ****-poor interior of the current G.
When I was shopping my first g, I had problems with the interior. Especially compared to the merc c230 and acura TL. But I loved it over the bmw.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not comparing materials, finish, or craftsmanship. Just the environment. For some reason I *really* don't like the center stack arrangement; especially how "wide" it is. That's just personal preference.

In the end, it's all relative. On the one hand, my buddy's old 02 accord sedan had a nicer interior than either of my g's. My pacifica's interior was much nicer. As was my 2000 300M, fake wood and all(again, just "feel"/personality). On the other, I tend to under value my interior. A week ago at the drag strip, I had a few guys sit in the car telling me how nice it was. Of course, these guys were used to driving camaros, buick TT's, cobalts, and the like

Old 08-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Actually the Lotus Elise is better on a short, multi turn track and will run circles around almost any thing else. The turbo model is even faster. It defines "Cat like" reflexes.
Yeah, but the 330 rides better and handle big bumps better in a performance shootout, so it wins!!

Last edited by THE RICE MASTER; 08-29-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the big problems are that:
1. numbers wise, the G generally beats the 330i in both performance aspects:
straight line racing and circuit racing (they admit that on most tracks this would be the case), although it may tie/lose on some specific tests.
2. it also provides a competitive interior and exterior (maybe not better)
3. more space, and more practicality.
4. it does all of this for $8k (!) less than the BMW.

and it still doesnt win, because it doesn't deliver that refined handling feel.

imo the comparison shouldnt have been made like this to begin with. $8k is simply too much. At that point, the 3 should be better in all ways, but in reality, it isnt.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by tekknikal
i think the big problems are that:
1. numbers wise, the G generally beats the 330i in both performance aspects:
straight line racing and circuit racing (they admit that on most tracks this would be the case), although it may tie/lose on some specific tests.
2. it also provides a competitive interior and exterior (maybe not better)
3. more space, and more practicality.
4. it does all of this for $8k (!) less than the BMW.

and it still doesnt win, because it doesn't deliver that refined handling feel.

imo the comparison shouldnt have been made like this to begin with. $8k is simply too much. At that point, the 3 should be better in all ways, but in reality, it isnt.
I agreee w/the price difference should have been considered, but you know how it goes w/these magazines. Again, this was against an '06 BMW 330i and not the '07 335i TT.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:21 AM
I can't believe this thread is still going... We've got some serious BMW complexes here (worshipers and haters).

Old 08-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by RLampke
I agreee w/the price difference should have been considered, but you know how it goes w/these magazines. Again, this was against an '06 BMW 330i and not the '07 335i TT.
well then i hope they compare the GT-R, if it costs $60k, to the 335xi coupe...

and then comment about which is the better driver's car, without mentioning price or brand.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:40 AM
BMW SUCKS!!! lol sorry just had to say that

Old 08-29-2006, 09:40 AM
There isn't going to be a 335xi coupe, just the 328xi. The GT-R is M3 territory... I don't doubt for a second that we'll be getting those comparisons.. stay tuned.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Banned
There isn't going to be a 335xi coupe, just the 328xi. The GT-R is M3 territory... I don't doubt for a second that we'll be getting those comparisons.. stay tuned.
Beat be to the punch on that one...

Old 08-29-2006, 10:39 AM
1. 335xi confirmed for Q4 2007
2. The price gap between the GT-R and 335xi is likely to be similar to that of the 3 and G tested here. So, if they're willing to test the 3 against a lower priced car to show that its a better all around car, then surely they wouldnt have a problem testing it against a car of an equivilently higher price.
3. furthermore- both are twin turbo 6 cyl awd. both claim to be the ultimate driving machines.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 G35 Motor Trend Article Scanned