07 G35 Motor Trend Article Scanned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tekknikal
1. 335xi confirmed for Q4 2007
2. The price gap between the GT-R and 335xi is likely to be similar to that of the 3 and G tested here. So, if they're willing to test the 3 against a lower priced car to show that its a better all around car, then surely they wouldnt have a problem testing it against a car of an equivilently higher price.
3. furthermore- both are twin turbo 6 cyl awd. both claim to be the ultimate driving machines.
Look, if you do not like the results of the MT article, then find another that skews cost and performance strengths in favor of the G35, and then you'll have what you want. But better look elsewhere than MT/C&D/R&T/Automobilemag - as past articles will dictate, it will not happen there.

Although the price of the GT-R is speculation, it has been rumored to be around $70K – no where near a 335i TT.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Cool

Show me anyone who has leased an 06 or later BMW 330i with the Sport, Premium, and Cold weather package for $460 a month with absolutely nothing down for 39 months. Sorry that isn’t going to happen because BMW just does not discount their cars enough to make leasing a good option. Please prove me wrong on this. I would love to go pick-up a new 335i for under $500 a month with nothing down. Now back to reality! I will probably end up ending my lease on my 05 G35 a little early and leasing the 08 G35 sedan. I want to wait till the next model year to see if the new ones have any bugs. The fact still remains that the BMW 330i and especially the 335i are not even close to the same price of a G35 in real world buying. They can talk about MSRP and base price all they want. The G35 is almost 10 grand cheaper than the equivalent BMW!

Originally Posted by RLampke
This is where the $$$$ factor becomes far less of an advantage for the G35 - leasing. Even thought it is true that a loaded 335i may sticker for $8K more than a loaded G35 will sticker out as - leasing the 335i and the G35; in some cases, the two can be less than a $50.00/month difference.

This is certainly not that much of a price swing as so emphasized by others here, if one chooses the path of leasing.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
Show me anyone who has leased an 06 or later BMW 330i with the Sport, Premium, and Cold weather package for $460 a month with absolutely nothing down for 39 months. Sorry that isn’t going to happen because BMW just does not discount their cars enough to make leasing a good option. Please prove me wrong on this. I would love to go pick-up a new 335i for under $500 a month with nothing down. Now back to reality! I will probably end up ending my lease on my 05 G35 a little early and leasing the 08 G35 sedan. I want to wait till the next model year to see if the new ones have any bugs. The fact still remains that the BMW 330i and especially the 335i are not even close to the same price of a G35 in real world buying. They can talk about MSRP and base price all they want. The G35 is almost 10 grand cheaper than the equivalent BMW!
I just love how the price difference keeps increasing between the G and the other vehicles in its class as the threads continue. I'm sure it a few days the span will be up to $20K.

Just like Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, ect; at times BMW has very aggressive lease rates – there out there.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM
So what is Aggressive? Could you get a 330i(Sport, Premium, cold weather) for less than $500 a month with zero down? All of the lease deals I have seen for 330i’s start at about $500-$600 a month and you must put at least something down or pay some arbitrary fee. Please show me some evidence where you can get these sub $500 lease rates on a new 06 with nothing down. Heck I even checked swapalease.com. There were only a handful of 330i’s listed under $500/month. And I guarantee that the person who originally purchased the lease is taking a beating because they probably put $2000+ down. Never put money down on a lease! It is just too big of a gamble.

I just love how the price difference keeps increasing between the G and the other vehicles in its class as the threads continue. I'm sure it a few days the span will be up to $20K.

Just like Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, ect; at times BMW has very aggressive lease rates – there out there.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Since we keep going around in circles on the value/performance debate, I thought I would put up a little poll to see why people bought their G instead of a BMW. Rock the vote:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/114308-why-did-you-buy-g-not-3-series.html

Old 08-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned
Never put money down on a lease! It is just too big of a gamble.
I'd say after making that comment that you may not know much about leasing. Unless by some odd chance your state/federal tax exempt, putting nothing down on a lease means that you are rolling your taxes [and other fees] into the purchase price/monthly payment, hereby increasing the debt-to-value ratio of the vehicle - and getting charged interest on monies that are not associated w/the equity of the vehicle.

Yes it is a good idea not to put $$$$ into a lease, that in reality only subsidizes a lower monthly payment of a vehicle that you have no equity in at lease termination anyhow, but that is after paying all the outstanding non-equity charges.

As far as being a gamble, if you’re not carrying "Gap-insurance" it's more of a gamble rolling all the costs into the lease if you total it out. Nevertheless, people are free to structure their lease agreements how they see fit.

Last edited by RLampke; 08-29-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I didn't buy my G because of the "Numbers". I bought it because it "talked" to me. I "felt" it. I still feel it a year later. I still find myself staring at it. There is something about the combination of design and performance that makes my heart beat faster every time I get in. The new bimmers are fine, at least they know how to properly design the tire/wheel well look, but the rest of the design does not do it for me.
Major +1 ..I was on the Auto show design team (shamless plug for GPJ) for Infiniti when the coupe was released..fell in love the first time I saw it in the clean room B4 the show .

Old 08-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as being a gamble, if you’re not carrying "Gap-insurance" it's more of a gamble rolling all the costs into the lease if you total it out. Nevertheless, people are free to structure their lease agreements how they see fit.
Can you even get a lease without gap insurance? You don't hold the title...

Old 08-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
gap is included in a lease... you have a special insurance notice paper that you will sign at delivery

Old 08-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Actually, BMW's can lease amazingly well. I could have gotten, (but didn't because of my trade in sucked... waiting to private sell it, then got T-boned, long story, etc, etc.):

'06 330xi, premium, cold, metallic, nav, comfort access, park distance control for (before taxes) $412.26/month 24 month/24kmiles. This was for European delivery, at $1000 over invoice, NO cap cost reduction, $625 acq fee. MSRP was $45570. ED Invoice on the car was $39130. US Invoice was $41060. Residual was 74%, MF for euro delivery was .00156, US delivery .00126. This was taking advantage of their multiple security deposits, so I would have had to pay about a $4000 security deposit, but of course I would get that back. Not a fantasy, it was a signed deal. For comparison sake, if I had taken US delivery at $1000 over US invoice, it would have bumped the payment up to $472.74/month before taxes.

It's a hell of a deal with low money factors and high residuals, which won't be available for a while on something like the 335i until late next year. Still, European delivery is available, and offers major savings.

Last edited by mikepro; 08-29-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Depends on the Leasing Contract and state you are leasing in.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:59 PM
I can haz potato?

Received 1,019 Likes on 793 Posts
sabertooth tiger
the spoiler on that G looks nasty - and i don't mean that in a good way.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calcul8
the spoiler on that G looks nasty - and i don't mean that in a good way.

I like it, but I'm sure there will be aftermarket ones available.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Theoretically inline 6 is suppose to be smoother than V6. But that's only if the same manufacturor using the same technique/tolerance/technology etc. is in charge of building those motors. In the case of IS350 vs 330 vs G35. IMO Lexus V6 is smoothest of all three despite being a V configuration, they simply put more effort into ensuring their motors are as smooth as it can be. Toyota's inline 6 used in the last gen Lexus gs300/IS300 and Supra TT and NA Supra is also way smoother and stouter than any BMW powerplant including their V8s. That's just the way Toyota does things, they overbuilt them!!!

BMWs excuse for not being as smoother as Toyota is that the extra crudeness gives their engines more charactor or "soul". Nissan motors in the past were known for being gutsy/torquey, but never known for smoothness.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:27 AM
I'm old fashioned I guess, my parents always paid cash for their cars. I don't, because let's be honest, even a Honda Accord I'd probably put down 15k and finance 5-6k over 24 mos. My folks would say pay the Accord in cash or save up.

That being said, the other extreme is zero down. I can't understand that philosophy, either. Don't we all agree that borrowing is not a good thing? The only debt I would ideally have is mortgage, because it's not realistic to save up enough cash to buy a home. But 15 yr. is better than 30....

I do understand that if one breaks down and decides they will lease (there is no advantage to the lessee other than a far lower monthly payment than buying), in theory, because the BMW has such a strong residual value, that should be reflected in a relatively lower lease payment (price per month relative to the price of the car). But then again, leasing is a very unfair arrangement, so if a BMW sells itself anyway, why give away anything?

To me, buying is a reality check. I figured a 335 coupe would be around 25k down, $695/mo., and that's a 60 mo. loan, not 36 like I would do with the Infiniti. At this stage of my life, I'm very uncomfortable with 25k down. And I don't believe in driving a car for 3 yrs. and getting a new one. imho that's very wasteful. Again, I'm not passing judgement, I'm looking at it from a financial point-of-view.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 G35 Motor Trend Article Scanned