07 G35 Motor Trend Article Scanned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you lose rear a/c vents?

Old 08-27-2006, 12:51 PM
I don't get it, my bro is getting a 6mt 335i and he doesn't have to give up anything. At least the intelligent key is there.

If the coupe comes out with a larger more powerful engine, hopefully the same will be available for the sedan and not trimmed back like mine just because I chose 2 extra doors.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by JGFox
Why do you lose rear a/c vents?
Not sure what Infiniti's reason is for this. Same goes with the 06 6MT as well.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canuck
Not sure what Infiniti's reason is for this. Same goes with the 06 6MT as well.
Shane, I think it has something to do with the size of the console, it's smaller in the 6MT, right?

Old 08-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Shane, I think it has something to do with the size of the console, it's smaller in the 6MT, right?
That could be it Tom. From what I have understood, the 6MT does not have an arm rest....is that correct? The rear vents on my 03 are at the back of the arm rest, so that could be why.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Just curious, is that really the case or are you assuming that's the case because you believe U.S. autos are generally less reliable. I ask because JD Powers' recently released three year VDS survey ranks Mercury, Buick, and Cadillac the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th most reliable cars. Lexus was number one. Surprised the hell out of me (not Lexus, but the U.S. brands). Infinity was 10, BMW 9, Acura 6.

Originally Posted by picus112
Two things regarding reliability. One, Infiniti is being dragged down by the American made QX. Without it in the lineup they would be in the top 5. The G, M, FX, and Q are all very reliable cars.

That said, BMW takes a lot of crap for being "unreliable" because of the 7 series. The 3-series has typically been a very solid car. I've had the 330xi for 4 years and over 65k km now without an issue; that's enough to sell me.

I think in general reliability issues with all brands are overstated.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:14 PM
BMW service costs a FORTUNE. This is true even at non-dealer shops (assuming they keep their tech up to spec). Maintenance items like oil changes and brake service are outrageous. And god help you if you have a faulty sensor or other proprietary part that goes out. I loved my bimmer (2001 3.0 Z3), but I didn't even bother looking at the 3 series when the reality of 2 young kids finally made me trade up for a sedan.

Originally Posted by vt_maverick
For what its worth, my observation has been that BMW problems, when they do occur, are significantly more costly than those for Infiniti. Why do you think they had to start including all scheduled maintenance for the term of the warranty? I had a friend who had one and it typically cost her the better part of $600-700 at each scheduled maintenance.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by infinitinewb
Just curious, is that really the case or are you assuming that's the case because you believe U.S. autos are generally less reliable. I ask because JD Powers' recently released three year VDS survey ranks Mercury, Buick, and Cadillac the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th most reliable cars. Lexus was number one. Surprised the hell out of me (not Lexus, but the U.S. brands). Infinity was 10, BMW 9, Acura 6.
All he is saying is that the QX56 (which is the only Infiniti built ouside of Japan) has had less than desirable reliability ratings. Overall reliabilty ratings for Infiniti as a whole has been dragged down a little because of the QX56.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by infinitinewb
BMW service costs a FORTUNE. This is true even at non-dealer shops (assuming they keep their tech up to spec). Maintenance items like oil changes and brake service are outrageous. And god help you if you have a faulty sensor or other proprietary part that goes out. I loved my bimmer (2001 3.0 Z3), but I didn't even bother looking at the 3 series when the reality of 2 young kids finally made me trade up for a sedan.
EXAMPLE

1999-2005 BMW 3-Series: Reliability
Trouble Spots
Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Engine knock: The 3.2-L (S54) engine reportedly suffers connecting-rod-bearing failures at a higher than normal rate, perhaps because some car owners are not using the required 10W-60 synthetic oil which is not readily available in the aftermarket. BMW is extending the warranty to 6 years/100,000 miles, (2001-03)

Exhaust system: BMW issued a voluntary emissions recall to replace faulty crankshaft position sensors. (1999)

Steering noise: Steering wheel buzzes or vibrates due to poor isolation of the power steering pump. (1999)

Transmission leak: Manual transmissions' drain plugs may leak. BMW also suggests replacing the fill plug. (1999)

Transmission slippage: Transmission may slip and/or check-engine light may glow due to torque converter clutch (TCC) slipping and/or TCC solenoid failure. (1999)

Consumer Guide® Estimated Repair Costs
This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region. Expect charges at a new-car dealership to be slightly higher.

Item Name Repair Cost

A/C Compressor $770
Alternator $640
Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $810
Brakes $445
Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bearing $725
Constant Velocity Joints $1,235
Exhaust System $895
Radiator $650
Shocks and/or Struts $1,320
Timing Chain or Belt $415

NHTSA Recall History
1999 323i/328i: Retaining clip that secures brake-booster pushrod to brake-pedal arm could detach from pin, allowing pushrod to disconnect, causing brake failure.

1999: Side airbag system is unduly sensitive to certain noncrash impacts, such as contacting large potholes or curbs at substantial speed; could deploy without an actual side crash. Battery Safety Terminal could also activate, disconnecting starter cable from battery, so engine could not be restarted after being shut off.

2000 323i/328i: Brake-lamp switch could fail internally, remaining either in "off" or "on" position; brake lamps would then either not operate or be continuously illuminated.

2001 315i/335i: On some vehicles, tires could lose air suddenly, affecting vehicle control.

2001 M3: Screws could fall into the parking-brake drum, reducing effectiveness or making screeching noises.

2001: Failure of engine-fan motor can cause electrical circuitry to overload and fail, causing fan to stop operating, with consequent engine overheating and possible engine damage.

2002 325Xi: There may be a crack in the rear brake rotor(s) that could expand due to braking torque, separating the brake drum from the disc.

2002 325i, 330i: The front strut could separate from the upper mount due to an improperly installed thrust bearing.

2003 325Ci/330i: Antiwindow pinching devices are not functioning properly on some vehicles. Dealer will inspect and replace all affected parts.

2003-05 Infiniti G35: Reliability
Trouble Spots
Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Accessory belt: The A/C belt may squeal or break because the compressor (and its pulley) goes out of alignment. (2003)
Automatic transmission: The automatic transmission may engage slowly, shift hard or into the wrong gear requiring reprogramming of the transmission control module. (2003)

Brake noise: On vehicles not equipped with Brembo calipers, the brakes are noisy, particularly in reverse, requiring replacement of all shims and revised brake pads. (2003-04)

Cold-starting problems: In very cold conditions, the starter may not run and may require replacement of the Intelligent Power Distribution Module. (2004)

Radiator: The radiator cap gasket may swell over time and when it does, will not allow the cap to vent properly resulting in overheating and lost coolant. (2003-04)

Consumer Guide® Estimated Repair Costs
This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region. Expect charges at a new-car dealership to be slightly higher.

Item Name Repair Cost

A/C Compressor $640
Alternator $545
Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $6,020
Brakes $575
Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bearing $790
Constant Velocity Joints $1,850
Exhaust System $805
Radiator $695
Shocks and/or Struts $1,980
Timing Chain or Belt $490

NHTSA Recall History
None to Date.

The only thing I question here is the Transmission prices. That's too much difference for ONE of them to NOT to be a typo...

Last edited by Texasscout; 08-27-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canuck
That could be it Tom. From what I have understood, the 6MT does not have an arm rest....is that correct? The rear vents on my 03 are at the back of the arm rest, so that could be why.
Shane, I tried to find some comparison pics at Infiniti.com, but all I could find was the AT, not sure there isn't an armest, but if there is one, it is lower, the console "box" is smaller if I remember right, so there most likely isn't space to run the vent through. LOL, it's nice they have my interior at the site.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by picus112
Normally I don't do this, but jesus....

Oh ya? A Ferrari or Porsche, huh? Well I guess I'll go grab an F430 then. They're priced right around what a 330i costs, right? Maybe I'll grab a GT3 while I'm at it, I hear those are fun. Even reliastically in those lines you might get a boxster or a cayman (non s) for the same price as a loaded 335i (not 330i). I don't think Porsche or Ferrari really enter into the equation here. If you're talking about M's and such...well that's a different story all together. This thread is about the 3-series versus the G.

If one claims to build the "Ultimate driving machine". That means one considers everyone else inferior. That includes Ferraris/Porsche/Hyundais etc. The 3series represents BMWs slogan better than all it's other models cuz it's the around sportiest of them all. The "ultimate driving machine" should accelerate faster, grip harder, be more involving, posses cheetah like reflexes, offer superior driving dynamics than anything else from any other manufacturors. Right now only one company offers all of those things I listed better than anyone else...that company is Ferrari. Until Honda brings in a new NSX, the F430 & Enzo are as close to being "The ultimate driving machine" as production vehicles can get.

Looking at the 3series with an open mind, one finds that it is nothing more than a luxury sedan with some sport dialed in. Same with the G35 sedan and IS350. Anyone who's driven real "performance" cars before will find all three to be too soft and vague for real performance driving. The difference between their driving dynamics are so minute that it's not even worth argueing over. But their acceleration is not. The IS350 and G35 will probably be neck and neck, but there is almost a full second difference between the 2 japanese make and the 330. And almost 2 second when compared to the 325. That's a huge difference that anyone can "feel".

Of course some people will say that big HP does not make a vehicle drive better. That would be true if one was to compare a Miata with a V12 S-class. But 330 loses to 2007 G35 in practically every handling category and totally embarasses the 330 in a drag race. But the Bimmer rides better and is a bit more refine when going over large bumps, so that makes it "The ultimate driving machine"?

I think BMW should redo their slogan to "The ultimate rice machine". Since internet warriors say Ricers always trying to make their vehicles into something it isn't. Well BMW actually got people fooled into thinking their overweight and soft riding luxury cars like the 5/7 series into thinking they are unrival street/track machines.

That's because you don't *need* to bring a car in every 3k. Clearly you know something about oil changes, so I assume you know that it's virtually contaminant free at 3k in modern engines, even non-synthetic. I own both a BMW and an Infiniti; in that time I've had 61k km worth of oil changes in the G (12), I've had 4 in 41k km on the BMW. The G cost me $560 up front for lifetime changes (it's $101 otherwise) (and yes they use synthetic), the BMW obviously cost me nothing. I also did the 45, 60, 75. 90k service on the G ($189 I think ) as well as the major service @ 75k (~$480 total?) and have replaced my pads and rotors to aftermarket (they needed replacing at 80k) ~$800. All in all I've spent about $2500 in two years or 61k km on the G and I've spend $0 on the BMW. Not trying to defend the bimmer here, just pointing out that free maintenance actually saves you some money. I will admit I have to replace the brakes on my BMW and it will cost ~$800. Still, $2500 vs $800.

I hope that you are not gullible enough to believe you're getting stuff for free. No car manufacturor gives anybody free stuff, otherwise the Lexus/infinit fans would be claiming they're getting free HP when compared to the BMWs. The customer always get jacked in the end.

All those safety electronics nannys, airbags, ABS, etc, are included in the price of the vehicle. Everytime the govt. forces them to put new safety devices in their vehicles, we get the bill, It's been like that for decades. I can only think of one vehicle that seems to go against that. That car is the MKIV Toyota twin turbo Supra where Toyota actually slashed 10K off the sticker after three years on the market. Either Toyota overpriced the vehicle to begin with or they were trying to dump it so they could end it's life cycle faster and make rooms at the plant for something more lucrative(like camry).

In the case of the INFINITI, you pay less for the vehicle upfront and then pay later on your own for basic oil/filter changes. BMW already charged you for those stuff in advance wether you like it or not. Then they tell you it's free. If you give me 40K, I'll send over two fineazz strippers to live with you for a whole month. They'll even cook and do your laundries for free.

Other than a marketing ploy to justify the delay between oil changes, I don't understand why a 330 would need synthetic oil anyway. It's not a hyper sportscars, it's a luxury sedans that rarely sees 5000rpm. If BMW can get away with changing oil every 11K, then INFINIT or all other makes can do the same. That means you blew a ton of money by changing your G's oil more often than neccesary. So you can't really say the G cost more to maintain. It cost more cuz you changed it more often, but BMW won't let you change your oil for free every 3000mile, only when they deem that you need it.

If you change your oil with synthetic every 11K, you would only need to do it 5 times after 55K. Since you don't mind paying 100bucks for an oil change, that still only cost you $500. Go with mineral based oil and you shave that down 70%. Just throw in a K/N drop in filter and you won't need to bring it in for those recommened services under 50K. All they're doing is giving you cheap paper air filters, change your oil and coolant, do a quick look at your vehicle and give you a large bill.

I've fixed enough used cars to know that if you don't plan on keeping the vehicle past 100K or more, don't waste your time and money maintaining your car religiously. It's going to be someone elses problem when you sell it. Unless you thrash the car everyday, even at 100K, most Japanese engine/tranny built since the mid 90s on will still sound/feel/perform like a car with only 50K on the clock. Why do you suppose certified used vehicles have 100K powertrain waranty when it doesn't even offer that when the same engine/tranny was new? Nobody is going to pay you more if you changed your oil every 11K instead of 3k. BUt they will pay you closer to what you're asking if your car physically looks and smell better.

Since most BMWs are leased and not financed, BMW is only going to cover their azz til the waranty is over. When all is said and done, BMW meets it's sales target, their dealers make a ton of money overpricing well maintained leased vehicles with low miles. After the cars leave BMWs used car lot, it's some other fools problem. There is no JD powers to monitor cars that are 3 yr old or more than 50K miles. It's an awesome strategy, almost as good as their "Ultimate driving machine".

To expound on the "Infiniti's are thousands cheaper" another thing I rarely see mentioned here is the fact that BMW's have superior resale by at least a few percent (more like 5%) and have a significantly higher residual on leases. They also tend to have similar money factors. In fact if you price out the *current* G coupe versus an '07 335i coupe you'll see the 335i msrps less than 2k more, loaded it's about 6k more. If you keep the car over a 3 or 4 year lease you more than make that money up in residual value and maintenance.

I'll let you in on a little secret. In the used car business, those few percent means nothing. But I think you already know this, but just doesn't want to believe it. There is simply too many factors involve like mileage, options, model, wear/tear, color, supply/demand, time of the year you plan on selling or trading in....but the 2 biggest factor is your negotiating skill vs the Dealers and how bad do you want to sell or buy. Nothing is absolute when it comes to used, it's like that MPG listing on new vehicles. Your milege WILL vary.

I love my G, I will likely own more Infiniti's (two already now), but some of the stuff on this board is worse than e90 post.

It's not bad once you fully understand them. At least mine anyway.

Last edited by THE RICE MASTER; 08-28-2006 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by THE RICE MASTER
If one claims to build the "Ultimate driving machine". That means one considers everyone else inferior. That includes Ferraris/Porsche/Hyundais etc. The 3series represents BMWs slogan better than all it's other models cuz it's the around sportiest of them all. The "ultimate driving machine" should accelerate faster, grip harder, be more involving, posses cheetah like reflexes, offer superior driving dynamics than anything else from any other manufacturors. Right now only one company offers all of those things I listed better than anyone else...that company is Ferrari. Until Honda brings in a new NSX, the F430 & Enzo are as close to being "The ultimate driving machine" as production vehicles can get.
LMAO. No offence, but I can't believe you are mentioning a 3 series in the same sentence as an F430 or Enzo.........just because of Bimmer's marketing slogan.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by THE RICE MASTER
Actually the Lotus Elise is better on a short, multi turn track and will run circles around almost any thing else. The turbo model is even faster. It defines "Cat like" reflexes.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:23 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Actually the Lotus Elise is better on a short, multi turn track and will run circles around almost any thing else. The turbo model is even faster. It defines "Cat like" reflexes.
Lotus Elise is too bloated. Ariel Atom FTW!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Lotus Sport is releasing a track-only version of the exige. Supercharged. Flame retard system. Cage. Bunch of other things. I think the price was in the 70's or 80's. And they're only making them for one year, and only 15 will arrive in the US. I wish I had the money to buy one of those, not touch it for 10 years, then auction it off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 G35 Motor Trend Article Scanned