Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Difference between front wheel bearing parts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between front wheel bearing parts?

Well, it's about time to change my front wheel bearings. I know there are quite a few articles on here concerning the process, but I would love some input on which part to purchase for the install.

Ordering from rockauto. There is a front wheel bearing manufactured by WJB, for $25. Here is the link: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=382&jpid=0

There is another by Timken, who I know is very reputable and makes a lot of OEM parts. This part is $100 (https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=382&jpid=9)

No idea what makes one wheel bearing better/worse than the other. Any thoughts to this? Of course I would love to save $75 by going with the cheaper option, but not if I am to sacrifice quality (and my life).

Thanks!!! Please redirect me to the right thread on here if this is in the wrong spot - noob to this forum.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Loaded
I know this is a very old thread.

I know this is a very old thread, but as I just replaced my right front wheel bearing this weekend, I thought I would reply. I get my parts from Rock Auto and have been very satisfied, both with price and quality. Its the OEM Nissan parts I have a problem with. The running gear just does not last. I have replace 4 wheel bearings so far (only replacing when worn out), the propeller shaft, both CV joints. The replacement parts seem to be a lot better built. While I'm here, if you have over 100K miles, be sure to tighten the head bolts every 50K miles. These things blow head gaskets. I'm guessing because of the alum. heads. Had one go on me (after 200K miles). Lesson learned.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:39 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by Bob Hamilton
I know this is a very old thread, but as I just replaced my right front wheel bearing this weekend, I thought I would reply. I get my parts from Rock Auto and have been very satisfied, both with price and quality. Its the OEM Nissan parts I have a problem with. The running gear just does not last. I have replace 4 wheel bearings so far (only replacing when worn out), the propeller shaft, both CV joints. The replacement parts seem to be a lot better built. While I'm here, if you have over 100K miles, be sure to tighten the head bolts every 50K miles. These things blow head gaskets. I'm guessing because of the alum. heads. Had one go on me (after 200K miles). Lesson learned.
I'm going to have to disagree on all points, I understand you have had a lot of mechanical failures but a lot of those components are wearables that are EXPECTED to need replacing by 200k miles. Propeller shaft probably, CV axles definitely, all 4 wheel bearings definitely. This is a sport car and those components were never expected to make it to 200k.

Head bolts however, that's purely a fluke, I definitely don't recommend folks to go re-tightening your head bolts EVER, they are TTY bolts and you definitely don't retorque TTY ones. Aluminum heads has nothing to do with you blowing a HG, it's a very unlikely problem on the VQ engines. Usually a HG failure is due to an overheat.

The following users liked this post:
Eirik (11-28-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 11:42 AM
Loaded
Wheel bearings at 50K miles and 130K miles. Propeller shaft and CV joints at 160K miles. Head gasket at 220K miles, but from reading, seems to be a common issue after 100K miles. Exhaust had to be replaced at 150K miles. SS pipe was fine, but connectors rusted off. Have had two Lexus LS400s that got over 300K miles and 200K miles (before giving cars away). They didn't rust like Nissans and the running gear was NEVER in need of replacement. Exhaust, no prob. Frame, no prob. I like driving Infinitis, but I am used to Acura and Lexus build quality. I put on a lot of miles driving. I don't want to be under the car for "wearables" that on other cars don't wear out as quickly. Build quality of Nissans is a problem. Just do some scans to see the same stuff come up over and over. My experience has been the same, so I have learned a few things to make them last. Just passing along the info that keeps me on the road. Not to say that early Hondas and Toyotas did not have their share of similar issues, but at least during the years I have driven them (1990-2013) they were almost completely trouble free. And I'm not just a hobbiest or casual driver, I'm a Honda factory trained mechanic and although I have been a software engineer for the last 40 years, I still restore vintage motorcycles and of course work on cars.

Let me just add that on the head that blew, the head bolts were not very tight. A simple retorquing would have probably saved the engine. Was not an over heating issue although I do agree with you it is one of the causes (beyond age). My only other personal experience with a head gasket blowing was my 1976 CVCC Civic, and although actually covered by warranty, I replaced the gasket myself (in the snow). Honda went from a "paper" gasket to one with a metal O-ring which in the day was saved for high compression engines. Also, I doubt retorquing once every 100K miles is going to hurt the "pre-stretched" bolts often used to cut some costs for the manufacturer. The extreme expansion and compression of aluminum has long been an issue with both motorcycles and modern car engines that drive extended miles or experience heavy use. Just rechecking the fasteners once in a while is cheap insurance!

Last edited by Bob Hamilton; 11-25-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:52 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Definitely agree with you about the rust, undercoating on these vehicles is pretty abysmal and other components like the front stay didn't even get an undercoating even though they should because it's a high flex item and they all rust out VERY badly. Overall if you are comparing quality of build then yes Toyota generally builds a better fleet of vehicles, however they didn't even build a "real" RWD sport coupe in the 2000's whereas Nissan did (Lexus SC was wildly underpowered but very comfortable to drive). Performance vehicles do typically wear faster, but there are some components that were simply underengineered like the rear differential bushing and were failure-prone at 60k miles. I still disagree on the head gasket failure though (loose HG bolts is a manufacturing defect and definitely not the norm), these engines pretty easily hit the 200k mark, however the piston rings are NOTORIOUSLY bad so there's definitely an engine argument to be made.

It's not built like a Honda or Toyota, but that wasn't really the niche they were aiming for anyways. The VQ35DE was used across a very large fleet of vehicles and is widely praised as one of the best motors on the road during it's time, the only issue they have is oil consumption from poor rings.

The following users liked this post:
MurdaG (02-22-2020)